Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Limited Edition Products

38 posts, 27 members
Danni
324 posts
What are your ladies thoughts on them? Does it bother you if one of your favourite products ends up being limited edition so you can't replace it? Does it make you more or less likely to purchase a product if its only going to be around for a short time? I just saw the Kendall Jenner Estee Lauder lippy and I am in LOVE. I need it but not even sure if NZ will get it :(
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I think there is a hype built up around limited edition items, which makes them sell out. If you knew something was going to be available forever, there is no real push to buy it immeditely, so i think its just a marketting scheme, which unfortunately  i fall for every time.

I wont 'not' buy a product because its limited edition, and i will sometime impulsively buy a product just because it is limited edition. It seems that some limited editions products seems to be the best, with a few bloggers and vloggers mentioning L.E items in their favourites  so itsucks that you cant get your hands on them anymore.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Ugh I'm a sucker for limited edition things. Slap a limited edition lable on something and 99% of the time I'll buy it. Most turn out to be pretty average but I still fall for it every time. 
Kimrose
1419 posts
There is something special about limited edition products. The only real bummer is if you fall in love with it you are really in a bind, time to find anothe favourite.

k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I love looted edition items but so true about falling in love with a product that may never come out again arrgggh. This is setting yourself up really. I've just ordered a limited edition summer stash from sephora for $30USD arggh deluxe sizes I'm enjoying them because you know you'll surely use them all up..... that's my theory of the deluxe sized items.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Another sucky thing about limited edition products is when they sell out everyhere, except those clever fellas on ebay who buy them, and sell them at ridiculous prices. Why would you buy something limited edition, when you dont even want it. Thats something that grinds my gears
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
well.....I just bought two limited edition items from Lush today, lol. 
Danni
324 posts
I normally put my head down and avoid limited edition at all costs just because I don't want to fall in love with it (Which has happened this year with one of the Lush xmas cleansers!) and I can't get it until the next promotional season for it or at all. I desperately want this lippy but it will make me feel slightly better if it isn't being released here 
kirstyj
1732 posts
Sometimes I love some of the LE items that I have! I have a MAC Rihanna Bronzer/Blush that I absolutely love. In the past I used to get sucked into buying things because the packaging was awesome, or I thought I had to get it because it was limited (heres looking at you MAC and all your collections!). But now I never buy anything until I have seen a review of it.
Jesse
745 posts
For me it depends on the product itself as well as how it's packaged. I really wanted MAC Anthurium from the Maleficent collection partly due to the movie and partly because I love a killer red lip. Then when the Cinderella collection came out I lusted over the packag but the products themselves were underwhelming so I passed. I JUMPED at the Wash n Dry collection because I loved the packaging and the two products I bought - one was my regular bronzer, the other a lipstick I had wanted for awhile anyway.
It does make me sad when a product you end up loving is LE and then is discontinued, for me this was The Body Shop's White Musk Libertine which was such a pretty fragrance and I went through a few bottles, hope they bring it back someday!
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Definitely depends. With The Body Shop frragrances that I'm able to go in and smell, absolutely because it's so easy to decide on the spot whether I need it in my life or not. And eyeshadow palettes... I looked at the "Last chance" items on Make Up Revolution and suddenly I needed every single palette in there. But I'm also really scared of limited edition products because if I fall in love with it, what happens if I run out? 

PS REALLY wish I had been able to get Jaclyn Hill's Morphe palette... 
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I have a sample pot of the Wicked Step Mother pigment from the Cinderella collection from MAC and omg I'm so in love with it.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
For me it depends on the item there are some Limited Edition things I love and am very sad when they are no longer available and there are some that never did it for me in the first place.
amandaxoxo
24 posts
I am a sucker for limited edition products or seasonal products because I always purchase them even though it's maybe just a scent, packging or colour change.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Yes seasonal products are another thing. Some of my favourite products are seasonal, such as the body shop peach body butter (seriously, this smells amazing), and the Lush christmas range, That golden wonder bath bomb rocks my world, so it sucks they are so hard to get throughout the year. Lucky im a soft core hoarder and stock up when they are being sold, and hope that lasts me untill the item is sold again!
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Honestly limited edition products annoy me and I usually try to avoid them. The simple reason is that if I fall in love with something I want to be able to replace it when I run out of it...

Limited edition products don't allow this. Unless it's something like an eyeshadow palette I won't buy limited edition. I think it's mostly a marketing ploy and it irritates me. I personally don't understand why some people have to buy something just because it's limited edition - that's a point that actually makes me not want to buy something lol.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Binarybeauty, Lush have Golden Wonder in at the moment as part of their midwinter Xmas. 
Danni
324 posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm pretty sure I don't actually own any LE products at the moment that I can think of.  This year I desperately want to get the body shop candy apple products because they smelt amazing and I'm still kicking myself that I never picked any up. Totally agree with cute packaging though, I really wanted the mac cinderella collection but the products were to underwhelming to justify the purchase which is good but I know heaps of people would of bought it for the cinderella packaging. 
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Lol, Jess! I have to agree with you, the marketing ploy of LE products grinds my gears, especially with the likes of MAC who do it so regularly that it's actually just a bit of a joke at this point.

However, it works. The marketing works! Gah. I got a Wash & Dry bronzer coz the bronzer is from their permanent line, which I had wanted to get anyway, so thought I may as well get it in fun packaging. Some of their LE packaging is just SO CUTE! I've passed up many of their collections, as the product inside just wasn't what I wanted, but I can definitely see myself buying the odd LE product in future if the packaging and product are up to par.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I happily buy into it when I know I will love the product (Lush and the body shop especially) but it gets frustrating at times too
Danni
324 posts
I do have to agree with you too, mac is going a bit over the top. It seems every other week they're releasing LE products!
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Limited edition perfumes are my downfall especially the ones by Escada, I just can't say no as they are my favourite fruity florals.
Everything else I can ignore except LE dvd's of something.
MissAimeeJean
267 posts
I am a sucker for limited edition items. I also find that limited edition cosmetics often have amazing packaging as well, and I am a sucker for beautiful packaging. So they get me on both fronts! 
Macs
5351 posts
Im not fond of limited editions. Its a bit of a tease. The only limited thing thats made me tempted is MAC. They look so pretty.
chikoboo
3402 posts
I'm a terrible sucker for them, if a product comes out saying the words Limited Edition I'm there with my nose pressed against the glass waiting for it to be released.  But hey I have no other vices in life so getting excited by new products or limited edition then meh! there is worse things to be addicted and sucked into =) and whilst I have the funds to go crazy I don't see why not.  There is however a few brands that I HAVE to get if it is Limited Edition, others I can resist if I need too.  Goes hand in hand with being a makeup addict xx
Julieal
915 posts
I love getting a limited addition but you are right it is a bummer if you love it and can't get it again
alikat
423 posts
I wish MAC would stop with the collections and give me a break. Actually, I don't usually buy the MAC collection stuff (exception being two eyeshadows from the Moody Blooms last year)

There is some stuff that I'm like OMG I must have it, but I just tell myself that I wouldn't look it otherwise and my life isn't going to end without it. I have enough problems with my favourite shades being discontinued without worrying about LE producs (Heres looking at you, Chanel)
astylecollector
204 posts
I'm a sucker for limited edition products especially if it's in cute packaging. I've been sucked into a few MAC limited edition lipsticks. I do love them though and I limit myself to 1 product per limited edition collection but their recent releases haven't interested me at all. My last one was the MAC Toledo lipstick.

Pifithrin
1243 posts
Am I the only one who has not liked any MAC limited edition packaging to date? Bar the upcoming MAC x Giambattista Valli collection which I think is stunning.
astylecollector
204 posts
I thought the Wash & Dry collection was pretty but when I saw it in store it looked cheap and plasticy. I wasn't interested in getting one. My favourite is the Alluring Aquatic and I wish I got more from the line.

I think MAC comes out with too many LE collections in a year that it's hard to make them all unique but I do agree PifithrinI haven't been blown away by their recent collections.
Mila
1209 posts
Every now and then limited edition stuff will grab me but more often I can ignore it... I really hate knowing that if I absolutely love something I wont be able to get it again !!
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I didn't even know such a thing existed until recently, I'm so far behind the times lol :)
Danni
324 posts
I'm kinda relieved, just heard from estee lauder and they said nz isn't getting this LE lippy! I'm actually really relieved, I didn't need it at all!
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I have to admit that some of MACs limited edition is tempting because it's so cute but I have yet to succumb to the desire. I've been saving for a trip which has been hard but it's really rewarding to think that my money is going to go on something that I will treasure forever, whereas makeup (which I really do love), has an expiry date and isn't going to leave me with the lasting memories and experiences that (hopefully) Mexico will. I try to remember that whenever I feel tempted to spend haha
janini9
341 posts
I have my moments when I get get sucked into the limited edition hype. I do feel really annoyed when something that you really love wanting it as a lifelong favourite is just there for a tease until the next tease comes along.  So I'm trying to be more discerning and detached with any limited edition purchases. I'd rather focused on things that are going to be available for a longer period of time - those are the brands or items that deserve my loyalty.
makes me less likely to buy it unless super good price
Koni
444 posts
I agree with our fellow BR beauties - marketing ploy at its finest.

I buy MAC LE items but I have to really want it for both product and packaging. It's just disappointing when companies invest so much in the LE packaging and forget about the actual product. I also hate repromotes. There's only so many times you can come out with the same blush or lippy in different packaging.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Repromotes are the worst in my opinion... I get so annoyed with them. If I didn't want your lipstick in the first place, I'm not going to buy it just because you repackaged it. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!