Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

BR Made Me Do It

99 posts, 71 members
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Reading the article #TheBeautyGuruMadeMeBuyIt made me think about things I've gone a brought because of articles or forum discussions on BR.

My latest would be the artiste blurring foundation brush, when I saw that product on trial I knew I had to go out and get one (after reading the trial results of course).

Another was the Schwarzkopf pastel spray. I got sent this to trial in apricot which was not the best colour for my skin tone, but the pink had caught my eye, so I went out a brought it the other day to see what my hair might look like pink, before I use a more permanent dye.

The other trial I saw that made me buy was the Crazy Rumors chocolate mint lip balm. Because does that not sound rather yum? So I brought that and then nearly the rest of the range.

I also chose the L'Oreal foundation I've got at the moment because it rated well in its reviews and I tried Daddy-O, Lush's version of purple shampoo after reading about it on the forum.

BR made me do it and I have no regrets.
trudijoy
8375 posts
daddy-o!

i'm sure there are things BR made me buy but i cant actually think of one right now!

BR did get me into bright lipstick, liquid eyeliner and bronzer though
shazatron101
5112 posts
I have a few of these! Mostly I see them as trials and I'm like YAAS MUST HAVE IT haha.

Crazy Rumors lip balm (didn't like it), Warpaint (got it in the vault but it still counts right? lol), Schwarzkopf pastels but lets face it, I was going to get there eventually! Colorpop lipstick but i think they're very hit and miss... Soap and Glory! Hahaha that was a huge one. I thought I would hate it... noooope. Lee Stafford products thanks to Truuuudi, they're pretty great!

trudijoy
8375 posts
Lee Stafford! <3

there are a few things i tried for the first time because of BRBB, vaults or trials as well of course.

I just won a Purple Orchid coffee scrub of Koni's instagram! First thing from them.

Ummmm oh Bossy, learned about them on here. I'm not such a fan now though. Also Ro Vie and other NZ brands
RamblingRose
1280 posts
BR gave me serious FOMO over the Limited Edition Fantail Moisture Mist Beauty Cake ... I put my hand up for the trial and then went out to buy it the day they were released.  Lol!  Needless to say, I received a trial invite a week later and had to decline. 

I've bought and tried a few products I would never have thought of using, thanks to BR.  Either putting my hand up for a trial, not getting on the team and buying it anyway or having read an article or other BR user's reviews.  A few of them include: 

- ZA Foaming Cleanser 
- ZA Cleansing Oil
- Lush Sugar Plum Fairy lip scrub
- Real Techniques brushes
- Skinfood Body Butter
- EcoStore soap 

And I have a long list of products (thanks to BR) that I still want to try when these run out!
tannygirl
3392 posts
-Real Techniques brushes

- Primers (never heard of face primers before BR, although I did use an eye primer)

- BB cream

- Sheet masques

- Flash serum

- Beauty Blender

- Liquid lipsticks

- Eye of Horus

- Oil Cleansers (never heard of it before love it now)

- Korean skincare (stuck to natural and NZ brands before BR)

- Overseas shopping....that's where the damage begun before BR I mainly bought a few items at Farmers when on sale, quite a bit at Healthpost and a few at other shops. Everything local and NZ based.

- Iherb orders

- Buying off E-bay and using Youshop

Oh BR you opened the Pandora's box of beauty spending! And many times my bank account wonders when will it end? 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I hadn't heard of iherb before BR. In fact I didn't used to buy online at all.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I'd never heard of Za before BR so after I trialed the pink lipstick I went out and bought more Za products. Also Iherb for me as well I got a few Real techniques brushes off there. But now the shipping's so expensive it's not really worth it anymore :(
Macs
5351 posts
Through BR I got: 

Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask , Bossy now Bonbon Cosmetics, Lush (soaps, shower gels, body lotions), Real Techniques brushes, Ethique bars . 

Theres a a long list and that's just a couple I got straight off the top of my head. 
MareeB
5244 posts
CC cream is top of my list! I have also started using concealer and primer since joining BR.

Because of the vault and BBBE, I also now wear make up every day, use serums and oils, have and use a beauty blender, apply make up with brushes, care for my nails (most of the time!) and am much more discerning in purchasing and using quality products. BR has lead me to BBBE - my most fervent addiction and a source of great enjoyment and happiness.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
LUSH BR forums definitely made me do it hahaha. IT bye bye under eye concelar. Oasis sunscreen, I trialed this as part of a BR trial and I swear by it. I'm sure there are plenty of other things but definitely those.

Edit! LIPSTICK. Never wore it before till BR x
First Lady
957 posts
We LOVE this thread so much - we're making a competition out of it!

Simply tell us what has BR made you do?

Try a new product?  
Try a new shade?
Throw something out?
Do something differently? 
Make more conscious purchasing decisions?

Tell us what BR has made you do and you could win one of 10 $50 prize packs!

And while we're here, let's claim that hashtag!

Use #BRmademedoit when you share photos of products you've bought because of us, or looks you've tried because of the site!

Got it? 

The Boring Bit aka T&Cs;.
- NZ residents only.
- We'll pick the winners in 2 weeks time, Fri 10th Feb from comments here on the forum and any social media posts that appear when we search for #BRmademedoit
- Go for gold!

Toni-Lee
503 posts
Thanks to BR I have tried soo many new products like highlighters, blush, bronzers and cc creams. I was new to makeup and now I own so many. And also introducing me to brands that I have never heard of or tried before such as oasis beauty, bonon vegan, lush, trilogy just to name a few.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
That's amazing :) 

I found the setting spray I brought yesterday in my bag this afternoon, which reminded me of what inspired the thought in the first place. I first heard of setting sprays on BR and have been meaning to buy one ever since and now I have :)
I have never tried them before and it would be a new brand
Julieal
915 posts
BR has made me look at lots of skin care that I never took seriously before -
Sunscreen in skin products
NZ made - I am so much more conscious of supporting NZmade products now.
BB cream
Brighter lipstick shades
Using cleansers
Reading reviews before I buy
poohbearfan
45 posts
BR introduced me to beauty boxes. Somehow I never knew there was such a thing! Since buying the BR boxes I have been introduced to so many new products I never would have tried before. The list is long but one that stands out was the Karen Murrell lipstick - fuschia shock. I would have never dreamed of buying a colour this bright but it really suited me and I love it! It made me explore a whole new colour palette and I no longer just go for boring beiges and browns thinking that was all that would suit me.
BeautyCutie
130 posts
BR made me try out ENDLESS new products — every time I try something new it's after reading the reviews for it on this website! For example at the moment I'm trying out the Manuka Doctor Normalising Oil, and BR made me do it! Couldn't resist those great reviews ;)
Qweenkaren
313 posts
BR made me buy:
Primer,
Za - many products
BB cream,
CC cream,
subscription boxes of all kinds
hair serum - this love is real.
Brow products - I did nothing with my brows before BR!
Eye of Horus

There are also loads of fun and great products I have tried which I never would have otherwise, and no complete disasters I can recall... even the eyelash curling went well.
trudijoy
8375 posts
haha a comp brings ALLLLL the ladies to the forum x

your posts have given me rememberings (totally a word)

Before BR I never did my brows, wore lipstick, wore highlighter, used oil cleanser or liquid/winged liner.

BR has made me realise that makeup is fun, something you can do for yourself, something that can be cathartic and an expression of individuality - which has helped me with overcoming depression, dealing with my fathers illness and passing, and other significantly tough life events.

BR has made me realise that buying in the parallel importers/big bucket sales is best avoided, and that there are plenty of amazing local companies I never knew existed before here.

BR has also been a community that rallied around me when some women forgot the sisterhood, both on here and elsewhere. You've celebrated highs, commiserated lows, offered advice, tips, and support - and I've only met a few of you in person! BR has given me some solid, genuine friendships.

Lastly, without BR I may never have got into any form of writing again. Reviewing is a great little outlet for writing, and before BR I just assumed noone cared about my opinion on this stuff enough to read it!
I had been using the same shampoo and condition for years and then I trialed L'Oreal Paris Extraordinary Oil Shampoo and Conditioner.  Fantastic, the shampoo was really economical and together with the conditioner made my hair feel amazing.  I am now hooked.  #BRmademedoit
Imoshen
461 posts
Nat convinced me to buy an IPL machine!  My results aren't as good as hers (blonde hair) but it got rid of my ingrown hairs (which are darker) and now my legs are so nice and smooth.

Thanks Nat :).
JessB
219 posts
Goodness so many things that BR has gotten me to review in my own mind, change habits, create new habits and try new products!
I am now dry brushing on a semi-regular basis (and so happy for it).
I've tried my hand at more styles of makeup that I never had the confidence for, (including scultpting!) and have been able to experiment with beauty products for fun.
Several products I have bought and enjoyed, or got from the beauty vault, because of reading reviews or articles, including different face masks, the Artiste foundation brush (oh yeah, now my best way of applying foundation), brow pencils, and a range of moistizing bits and pieces. I'm happy to now have a better chance of NOT breaking out or drying up when I try a new product, because I've been guided by all the ladies on this site!

Thank you reviewers and the BR team!!
JessB
219 posts
Oh and Beauty Review also made me dye my hair for the first time! :p 
After much discussion and reading reviews, I was able to choose the right blonde dye. Nordic ended up being the winner! I also had some really good advice for hair care afterwards.
BB Cream and CC Cream for me
shazatron101
5112 posts
So, I'm biting the bullet. I'm going to get my lady parts looked at! It's important, I know, but my first time wasn't a joy ride (I'm not sure they ever are but I wasn't very happy) and I've kinda avoided going again. So yay for lady WoF! And! I'm also going to get fitted for a bra at Bendon, which I'm quite excited about, all thanks to Kim's Superhero shop. Maybe now I will have good luck and my bras won't break!

#brmademedoit !
rop
1 posts
Try brighter lipstick 
ridinghood
2 posts
I now use a BB cream thanks to trying it from here. Love it.
Im sure it has also made me throw out things but i cant remember what they were lol.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Oasis
Urban Decay
Bb cream
Lush
Too faced
Exfoliating
Bossy
Fuelled a brewing addiction to makeup & brands alike.
eringracem
30 posts
I've learnt so much since I joined this site...
All of the blog posts have been very informative and I've learnt a lot about skincare from them - also, who knew you needed to protect your hair from the sun?!

I've also tried some new things thanks to all the great reviews on here, and been very conscious of not buying things for the sake of buying them, and reading reviews.
I found a BB cream that was right for me - all the others I'd tried were too orange and gloopy!
I've found new mascaras, new brands, just all sorts of new things to try.
This site has definitely fuelled my makeup addiction but that's ok! :))
#BRmademedoit
First Lady
957 posts
Shazatron - YAY for lady WOFs and bra fittings!!  Natnee is very proud.  VERY.  

xoxox
Kristy
1 posts
I'm pretty new to BR but I know I purchased the Remington i-LIGHT® Pro+ Face & Body after seeing the blog and review. So far so good btw
keelyg
3 posts
I discovered Schwarzkopf Live Salon Colour Refresher through BR... I absolutely love it (especially when the supermarket has it on special)
BR has opened my eyes to the wide range of products available in all the different realms of beauty, whether that be makeup, skincare, etc. So often we have the same brands sold to us through mainstream media and it's hard to find what else is out there. I love reading reviews and comments made by members of this community. It's allowed me to find out what else is available and also know if it has a chance of being something I might like to use or if it will work for me, all because there is someone out there who has tried it and spoken/written about it!
triffid
151 posts
BR has given me so much information and reading about beauty care and products.I have learned an awful lot about various products  plus the wonderful reviews fromreal ladies let us know exactly how good or bad products are.One thing I have done is take better care of myfeet.It probably sounds odd but I sort of hid them,was ashamed of them until I reviewed the Scholl Velvet smooth Express pedi.I couldnt believe how muchbetter I felt when my tootsies were comfy and no they look and feel so much better
I have a lot to thank Beauty Review for, thanks to them letting me trial hair dye for them I have now change for good to the trial product. I have also learnt how to clean a blending sponge and how to use it properly. I've also learnt how to contour and so many other things from hair on my head to which is the best way to get rid of hair on your feet and legs. BR, you are an amazing part of my life. For all you and the team do, thank you.
iamjennieoh
1 posts
I was looking for beauty products might BR have and help me with my dry skin. So i found some reviews here to help me out. So i said to myself might give a try to register to BR. Not buying yet at the moment but maybe one day.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Done and dusted! The bra fitting was actually quite fun, the woman was very lovely and trotted around the store while I tried on bras. I thought it was going to be awkward being half rudey in front of a stranger but she was delightful. $100 later (and only one bra set good god) and I now have my right size, plus a cute colorful bra. 

So thanks for making me step out of my comfort zone! :D 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Good for you Shaz :)
JessB
219 posts
Good going Shaz! I love that Beauty Review allows a platform for talking about the important stuff, including the difference a well-fitted bra can make and lady WoFs :) :) Reminds me, I'm probably due for one myself
shazatron101
5112 posts
Thanks ladies. I feel better about doing it. As much as I don't like it I know it's important!
melvermaak
1 posts
I've just joined BR so I'm so looking forward to actually finding products that will work for me!  My skin is very sensitive and will either dry out completely or break out in the worst acne possible.

Barbs
2 posts
I had been on the search for a decent coverstick for blemishes, I found a Dr Hauschka Coverstick but at $36.00 I wasn't about to buy without reading a view reviews.  Found one on here, one was all I needed.  I tend to get overwhelmed with too many opinions & find BR have honest, helpful and trustful reviews.  Perfect product for me.....have now just put up my review on product too :) 
Katipi
1 posts
BR has introduced me to so many amazing products, my favourite being LeWinns and ZA, I now buy these products on a regular basis. 
BR has also reminded of the importance of sunscreen!! and night cream. 

Love BR - whenever I'm considering a new product I always head here first to read reviews on it. 

Keep up the good no GREAT work 

xoxo
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I think for me BR has given me a lot more confidence to be comfortable in my own skin! I suffered from such bad skin, spots, rashes, sore red face ahhhhhhh and it has always been sooooooo dry! The 2 products that have literally turned my face around 100% is rosehip oil and cc cream. I have spent hours on here reading everything I could about rosehip oil. It has been a lifesaver to me and I think without BR I would never have tried it. The same goes with cc cream, something I would never have looked twice at until I started reading rave reviews. To wake up each day and know I don't have to deal with a sore, dry face anymore makes me a happy chick! :-) Thanks BR.
Head Pixie
569 posts
Nawwww, this thread is filling me with all the happies! xoxoxoxox
MareeB
5244 posts
I'm proud of you Shaz - I've never had a bra fitting and don't do much of the WoF stuff either :(
jenmog
1 posts
I recently tried Trilogy's Age Proof Nutrient Plus serum. It was great but a bit expensive compared to my usual Korean stuff that has the same effect! 
silverxgold
1 posts
I've seen all the positive comments about the nivea sunscreen on beatuty review, so i decieded to go out and buy myself a bottle of it to see what it really does. I can tell a huge amout of difference by using this product. My skin has been alot more healthier and hasn't been getting burnt. I feel much more confiedent going out in summer knowing my skin wont be getting burnt since im using the amazing nivea sunscreen. Thanks for all the great reviews!!!
Thanks to BR I've become much more discerning in my purchasing and have learnt about heaps of awesome little NZ brands I never knew existed. 

The other biggie is I've stopped using products just to use them up and I've accepted if something is wrong for my skin or if I just don't enjoy using it I should give it to someone who will! This has made skincare an even more positive experience for me. 

Finally I can't neglect to mention oil cleansing. It's an extreme statement, but oil cleansing has changed my life. Thanks BR! In my 30's I FINALLY know the trick to changing my oily AND dry skin into clear skin! Yay!! <3

#BRmademedoit

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!