Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

So what did you do

30 posts, 20 members
MareeB
5251 posts
..that stopped you from leaving the house temporarily?

For me it has been perms and mullets..staying at home until I figure out how to hide the hair do...oh and there's been a few episodes of over-enthusiastic eye brow plucking to add to the horror..
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Omg did you have a mullet? I reckon they're awesome hahahaha! I've never been brave enough to rock one though.

ther actually hasn't ever been a time I haven't left the house - although looking back I wish I hadn't when, as a teenager, I decided to give myself a Betty Paige fringe... Which made me look scalped hahaha!
kirstyj
1732 posts
Does sunburn count? I once got such bad sunburn all over my face that I took 3 sick days off from school because I couldn't leave the house when it was so red. (Don't worry I'm almost religious with sunscreen now)
MareeB
5251 posts
Girl, I reckon I invented the mullet! damn, did I think I looked good..it was 'Black Cherry" yeehaa.It looked alright after about 10 weeks of growth, initially it was barely a centimetre long on the top. Hideous!!!
MareeB
5251 posts
Yikes! yes, sunburn does count! It's nasty eh?
Macs
5351 posts
I used a depilatory cream on my facial hair. I got burned badly. I never left my house for a week.
SandieNZ
424 posts
Great thread!!  I can't recall anything that's made me stay home other than bouts of sunburn :(  I've had some pretty crazy haircolours, but nothing that a quick trip to the chemist for a cover up hasn't fixed lol. 
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Ouch some of those sound painful! I had my hair bleached in a salon when I was a teenager because I wanted to die it bright pink (just like Toyah Wilcox lol) and my Mum wouldn't let me out until I'd fixed it. I liked it though, she didn't appreciate it :)
MareeB
5251 posts
Oh no Macs, that's terrible!! and strangely easy to do...my sister had a similar experience with laser and couldn't go out for a few days...
MareeB
5251 posts
Man, sunburn really used to be the order of the day didn't it? I remember every year as a child getting big blisters on my shoulders from sunburn. if only we'd known then what we know now...

That's funny Amanda Jane because no one would look twice nowadays..
Kimrose
1419 posts
Nice pic Mareebros,  It was a perm!!  I took annual leave, and headed back to my hairdresser to get it fixed...just a nightmare, never again
george
150 posts
This thread gives me the giggles! I can't think of anything apart from ridiculous sunburn thats kept me from leaving the house. I did at one stage have terrible eyebrows - gah! Before I even knew you could fill them in. 
Mila
1209 posts
I foolishly let a girlfriend bleach my hair (with no prior experience haha)  - I had always gone to the hairdresser because I know bleach can go so wrong but thought what the hey ! ended up wtih a lovely shade of orange gold that even the most powerful purple shampoo could not fix ....
charly
456 posts
My hairdresser bleached my hair in my kitchen on her day off. She underestimated how good I had been about protecting the colour so the dye still in my hair reacted with the bleach and I turned an interesting orange. I'm pretty relaxed about my hair, but even I wasn't ok with that! I had a job interview the next day so we had to make a quick trip in to her salon to get the products necessary to fix it.
charly
456 posts
Also when I was 16 I dyed my hair red. I had always wanted red hair but it turned out it made me look like a tomato. Even my Dad, world's most unobservant person, commented. I had to go to school the next day so I tied it in a really tight slicked-back ponytail and when I got home Mum had bought me a purple colour to hide the red!
MareeB
5251 posts
Ah ha its all about the sunburn and hair colour! probably my all time low was my bestie setting fire to my fresh perm by reaching around the car seat to light a cigarette - poof! up in flames! The smell was unbelievably bad. The next morning we chopped out the burned bits with the scissors. That was over 30 years ago and we still laugh about it when we get together :)
Macs
5351 posts
Oh thats hilarious maree lol I can just imagine it.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
lol this is a great thread!

Maree, we should be concerned, perms are back 'in' apparently! My mum used to go to the hairdresser every week and have a 'shampoo and set'. Memories, of the corners of my mind. Or something like that :)
I'm actually allergic to sunlight(This is not a joke!) and had a nasty rash up my arm for a week in summer and it ached and itched in a way the eczema I once had couldn't compare to. I ended up putting aloe gel in the fridge and caking it on the rash every few hours. It spread right from below my elbow all the way to my back. Cancer Society's Aloe Gel became my holy grail of all skin products.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
There hasn't been anything that has stopped me leaving the house, even when I have botched up skincare or hair removal products have turned my skin red. I have no shame.
janini9
341 posts
Yep, the time I got my hair dyed bright, bright red in the late 1980's. I loved it, partner, family and friends were just shocked and very vocal about how much they hated it. It totally ruined the experience for me and I have never dyed my hair since. I hid for months until it faded. Only went out when I really had to and then I wore a cap or beanie.
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
OH YES!!  I was thirteen and my mama cut my hair for me.  And me not knowing any better let her do her thing.  I come out with a helmet head!!  Ok I admit I was a mad tom boy up until I was 17 but cmon I can't rock a bowl cut lol.  Needless to say my first high school days were the worst of my life.  I didn't want to leave the house and my mum graced me with a week off but after that I couldnt stay away any longer.  The school didn't care and wouldn't let me wear a hat.  It is only salon for me for life lol.  At the moment I have a very short mohawk and my family despise it and tell me to put a hat on it but it doesn't phase me.  I love it.
hahah  Shana, you are too gorgeous.  Helmet head.  You made me laugh.

There hasn't been anything to keep me behind clothes doors. No shame either  :-)
Ringy
825 posts
I got sick of plucking a stray chin hair and decided to try and wax my chin but it didn't get the hair out do I kept going over and over it- ended up with a red raw line along my law line where I ripped the skin off.  The stray hair/s were still there too! Another time ( recently) I had a bad eyebrow wax and ended up with tadpoles above each eye! Seriously I googled it and that has NEVER been a fashionable eyebrow trend- my years of trying to grow my eyebrows back was destroyed in seconds. Moral of story- I think I need to stay away from wax!
chloednz
217 posts
I love this thread! I dyed my hair and didn't put any vaseline around my hairline, thinking that a flannel afterwards would clean up the edges. Well that dye did its job fast and well, and I ended up dyeing all of the hair on the side of my face a lovely shade of mahogany brown. Not wanting to go outside with sideburns, I scrubbed and scrubbed and ended up with grazes alongside the dark sideburns. Not a good look for me. I now will not dye my hair unless my face is liberally slathered with vaseline, the memory alone makes me shudder!
Jesse
745 posts
Mine wasn't even something I did! Had a bad hairdresser experience which left me with a horrid attempt at ombre, I had to leave the house for work but I was wearing hats until it was fixed.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
This is a crack up thread and I so needed a laugh at the moment lol. I have many beauty mishaps that I don't know where to begin. I feel for you who struggle with the wax at least you know the lesson from your mistake. As for the mullet I so want one like a long mullet so I can leave my hair out and have that layed type effect some chicks pull it off and I would like to try it but I can't leave my hair out long enough and just have to tie it up high into a messy bun. Anyhow I can recall back in my highschool days I did many things but living at school eg boarding school you couldn't exactly stay home. I loved making a statement thru my hair and 1 particular time my friend dyed my hair I thought it was awesome but the boys said I looked like a strawberry lol I tried without fail to laugh it off but in fact I did look like strawberry shortcake even brighter in the son. Another hair do I did which was a no, was the under cut I progessed slowly up wards till all of a sudden I had equal parts of shaved head and hair lol. I freaked the boys cause even they hadn't attempted this do or don't I went all out and had it shaved right back to the skin lol. For a bit I thought I was cool who would've thought come 2014 it was back in, I reckon it was me who set it out there, Nah kidding hahaha all in the name of statements thru beauty bahahaha
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
bahahaha
charly
456 posts
Haha, I love reading these horror stories! 

Bums for those of you who tried something and liked it but were not supported by family and friends. :( Takes all the fun out of experimenting with looks!
alikat
423 posts
Totally sunburn. I spent a day at the race track, forgot about sunblock and ended up skipping the company christmas party the next day as the blisters came up all over my face. Fortunately the guys at work didn't give me a hard time (because they would have got it back in spades)

I also ended up having to get almost all my hair bar 1.5 inches of it cut off early last year thanks to my hairdressers apprentice killing it. Fortunately the following day, I was going into hospital for knee surgery, so nobody saw me for three weeks while I was at home and by the time I returned to work, we had dyed what hadn't been killed off back to a dark brown and week 8, it didn't look too bad.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!