Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What's Been Your Beauty Craze Lately? What Was Your Previous Craze?

19 posts, 10 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
   My current beauty skincare craze is masks. Looove them I have one on almost every night (sleeping mask), I double, triple and even quadrupple mask some nights. Peels, mud mask, clay mask, moisturizing mask, DIY concoction, sheet masks...oh I love sheet masks, sleeping masks. I haven't quite gotten on board with the peel off ones or modeling masks though. I started off with panning stuff and then discovered how much I loved it, even though some sting and some I can't move my face or laugh when I have them on. 

What originally started as a panning process has increased my "need" for more masks although they are getting alot of use. I have been really likely and collecting sheet masks. I've been able to justify it by the fact that they are disposable masks and if I have "too many" well I can pan through them by doing one a day. 

My make up craze of late has been brushes. I find it easy to justify because if I use a handful of brushes per face of makeup and they are pretty much single use (unless the product you used them for was a light shade and a powder product). Plus they never expire and the right tools for makeup is so important. Awhile back I bought my first Sigma brushes and plan to add Zoeva brushes as well when I have saved up enough. 

Last couple of years my craze was lipsticks and nail polishes. I do like those but the polishes seem to not last long especially if they're bought second hand and I can't justify spending much on brand new ones unless there's a really good deal. I do spend more on base and top coat and treatments because I pan through those faster. Lipsticks, I didn't have that big a collection but I really liked lipstick, because I liked to do alot of the same looks on my tiny Asian eyes since they don't really stand out much. But my lips do show more on my face and changing my lip color allows me to achieve a different look without much effort. Plus you reapply lippy and so I thought I could pan through it faster, although it's still a turtle pace.

For a short time it was eyeshadow palettes and you know how easy it is to collect and never hit pan on those. Thank goodness I managed to reason myself out of buying so many high end palettes, although I did purchase a few that I really liked and would geniunely reach for. 

So what are your current skincare, makeup, bodycare, cosmetics and haircare crazes? What where your previous crazes where you wanted all the ones available on the market?
MareeB
5247 posts
Oh Tannygirl, that's so funny! I don't really have any crazes but I've been wearing foundation every day instead of tinted moisturiser since I was given the Max Factor foundation. And I have a lot of different oils open.....
KiwiLass
174 posts
Eyeliner! I'm almost reverting to my 90s self again, thanks to finally opening my luscious Eyes of Horus Goddess pencil, in black. This really is the best pencil eyeliner I've ever used and smudges so nicely. I just have to not get too carried away, since I'm definitely *not* my actual 90s self again...ahem.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Mine would be facial oils....I adore them and love the difference they make to my skin. Hmmmmm also anything coconut lol I can't get enough of it...anything with an amazing coconut fragrance I will buy.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Yes I love facial oils and serums Lisa-Lou that's a current but it's been my craze for the past five years. I'm still on the hunt for the do-it-all magic serum that takes away the majority of my skin woes with a few drops of magic. But I doubt that potion exists and if it did it would cost a fortune.

Antipodes Hosanna has made my list of staples though. That one is great for dry skin, oily skin, etc. Great for dehydrated skin you just need to trap the moisture with another product on top. I actually tried going without it because I was thinking well it's expensive and my skin definitely feel less hydrated and plump after a couple weeks so I repurchased it.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Oh and my bodycare craze! I've been into body oils, body butters and since I discovered it - coffee scrubs! They're messy but they really smooth out your skin like nothing else. I think those the things I splurge on when it comes to body care. Currently panning several body butters and body oils off. 

Haircare craze - I haven't really had one for awhile. I actually don't use a ton of hair products. I do love my new hairbrushes. I got one with wooden pins and I seriously wonder why I didn't buy one sooner and had my in-shower Tangle Teezer as my sole brush for years. My sister also bought me a paddle brush with boar hair in it and I like that one too. I do really like my Ethique shampoo and conditioner bars but the beauty of that brand is that you don't need to repurchase it for a really long time since those bars last for ages and the conditioner actually outlasts the shampoo. 
I was in a base makeup craze but the other week it reverted back to perfumes! I have, uh, bought another two. I got my sights set on another two.
JessB
219 posts
I go through short-term crazes where I obsess about getting something right, go out and buy something to help me with that, and then a week or two later I'm onto something else! The past few weeks have been nails - strengthening and polishes. Now I'm becoming more crazed over learning to do my brows. Eventually I do loop back to some of the crazes and pick up where I left off (so I don't feel too bad about waste in that case), but in other instances not so much (I have a few nail polishes sitting unloved right now).
JessB
219 posts
Oh yes, I did have a scrub craze which lasted quite a while. Luckily I figured out a recipe for a homemade coconut coffee scrub which I really love, so didn't break the bank.
Macs
5351 posts
Last year I was a lipstick hoarder. This year Im crazy about hair products, eye liners, face oils and Lush. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Macs your profile pic is stunning!
Macs
5351 posts
Thank you Lisa Lou. (thank goodness for filters)

Thats exactly what I do Jess. I have many short term obsessions. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Oooh great thread :-)

Last year my obsession was BB Creams and Serums and Lush, this year my obsession is coffee scrubs and massage bars and still Lush lol

I have a really good friend that makes me a customised coffee scrub for my sensitive skin and its so good (sorry Lush Cup o Coffee and BonBon Vegan) and my skin loves it.

And I am obsessed with Lush massage bars especially the Dusk Til Dawn one, omg its sooooo good, I've used about 4 or 5 of them now and always stock up as I can't live without it.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Oh and I did go through a candle phase last year. I wanted candles, candles, candles! I had one scented one lit every evening. After a couple of disappointing candles (one handmade one that smelt really bad, I had to air out my room for a good hour that night and a couple ones that didn't give off much scent), I discovered Scentsy. It was bang for buck and I could leave it on all night and day and the scent throw is ahhhmazing! Beats all the candles I have owned for price and scent throw (the only one that I think it would be comparable to is the Peter Alexander ones, I smelt the Caramel Vanilla one that a friend of my younger brother brought over and it was incredible for the scent throw and how long it lingered. But I have yet to own one since they are riddicously expensive). 
    If you like melts I really recommend you check out Scentsy if you want to use melts regularly. The initial burner cost is a bit pricey depending on the one you choose, but I think you can find burners for around $40 bucks and the bars are ahmazing and very affordable if you buy the 6 pack. Since I discovered Scentsy I have stopped buying candles. 
    The one thing that candles are preferable for is bathtime. Just because they're more portable and don't require a plug. I do like the ambience for bath time and there isn't a ton of light in the bathroom..so. 
Koni
444 posts
Previously for a long time it was lipsticks and higlighters (and to an extent I'm still crazy about them). My current panning process has made me realise just how much I love facial sprays and how many I can easily go through. I love spraying my brush, makeup sponge - well anything really haha.
Macs
5351 posts
I still havent tried Scentsy yet. Its been on my wishlist for a while now.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Koni, I find I go through toner especially spray toner pretty quickly. So I can easily justify having a healthy stash. I currently really like Andalou Naturals on iherb they come in decent sized bottles for an affordable price. I also really love the Oasis Beauty ones. Gel toners are a fairly new thing to me and they take longer to finish and absorb. 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Koni I can say I have a similar phase as you. Last year and year before it was lipstick & blush.Then it graduated to bronzer & mascara. Now it's definitely setting spray,mists, highlighter & um perfume mixed with brushes & blenders. Also brow pencils I've got an affinity with them. Also shadows buthe I've been able to hold back on he lipsticks somewhat but after purging I ended up repurchase a few more from each category. I'm also into skincare not hauling heaps but getting my perfect skincare rotuine for my skin. Which I've found out that products with gycolic & aha are my thing. But clash with my love for sun exposure because the gycolic makes me susceptible to burning. I've kind of gone off with this post sorry
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Skincare is my long time craze and I really should have gotten into it in my teens instead of makeup. But unfortunately as a teen you don't think long term especially when it involves spending your allowance. Thank goodness I did moisturize around my eyes and remove my makeup and wear sunscreen some days. That's probably the only things I was doing right. 

Crazes I have yet to go through are a hair dyeing and perming craze or maybe a tattoo craze. Maybe it'll hit once I start getting gray hairs...who knows. Oh and it's not beauty related but a shoe or handbag craze. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!