Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR - Does anyone have some advice?!

26 posts, 17 members
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
I am going away on a Fiji cruise in two weeks and it being my first I am rattling my brain on what to take and what not to take.  I know there are shops and all there but being a girl with a very very curvacious body I have no idea if they have my sizes and all.  I have been told don't pack too much cause of the shopping but I also don't want to be left short.  Also do you have any tips on cruises and what I shall expect and all?  Any tips and hints would be amaze. xx
trudijoy
8375 posts
I've never been to Fiji and I'm usually okay with standard shops BUT I'm a pretty experienced traveller and my recommendation is to take along a few days worth of lightweight, versaile outfits that could be washed and dried in a hotel bathroom overnight if you get super stuck. A sarong, a skirt or pair of shorts with a few light tops, a dress or two and a range of accessories to change the look up. Also google what shops are there and check out what's likely to be possible. I'd still go prepared, but cleverly prepared
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Oh that definitely helps thanks Trudi.  I have been to Aussie a few times but a ship doesn't have the shops like that so I just wanted to see what everyone thought.  I tried to google and it's very limited information but I think it helped.  Thanks :)
Arohas
77 posts
Hello. I have done a cruise. They are fun things to do. Depending on the ship company they might run things differently. The one my partner and I did had dress up every night. They had items on the ship to buy to help with the theme as well. So take a nice outfit for glamour but as trudijoy said things that are easy to wash. The ship we were one did stops and there were stalls to buy cotton tops and wraps. Take a couple of swim suits or swim garments
pintsize
1072 posts
Hey Shana,
I did a cruise a few years back to New Caledonia and it was amazing!! you are going to have such a great time :D
I'd say pack what you might like to wear for each evening (mix and match or jazz up a simple dress) and day time clothes that are versatile, beachwear/swimwear etc. as I didn't find any clothes to my taste back then and nothing in my size until we reached Noumea.
The shops may have changed somewhat since then but I am not sure... best to pack what you need to and buy any extras if you find something you like.

Have an amazing time away xx

itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Ohh a cruise. Sounds lovely. I would take enough outfits to last you and cover every situation since you can never be certain you'll find what you want over there. When I was in New Caledonia I decided to buy a sarong once I got there and I didn't find one I liked till a couple of days before we left which was a real shame. And if you are struggling for room in your suitcase compression bags work wonders.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I have been on 2 cruises (and have one booked for June), and have been to Fiji so I kinda feel a wee bit qualified to answer :P

* Bring whatever you want. Because you only unpack once I don't really care about overpacking. Only thing you have to consider is if you are getting on a plane. My partner and I usually use one bag together and I put a wee bag in there to fill up if I happen to do any shopping.

* Make sure to bring plenty of toiletries and sea-sickness pills. You can buy these things on the ship but they always charge WAY more because you are stuck there and have no other choice. Also when you are in Fiji they are also more expensive because of course it costs more to get stuff there. But don't worry too much about sea sickness as I don't find it that bad, just better to be safe than sorry.

* They usually have one fancy night so I make sure to bring something nice for that. But if you don't like getting dressed up you don't have to (you just won't be able to go to a restaurant that night).

* Shopping in Fiji... I didn't think it was that great. Although it might just not be my style. I would vote for just bringing the stuff that you already like. Also I am way more of an experience person on a cruise. You don't have much time in each port so go experience all you can, see all you can. You can do shopping any time. Also bear in mind it might not be my style because they are warm countries and I live in a freezing hole.

* Because I'm a nerd I have been watching heaps of Cruise packing videos on YouTube because it makes me excited. One of the things they mention is to bring a plugboard. There aren't many plugs in each room so if you have devices to charge or whatever it can be good to have a plugboard to save arguments.

(Sorry for the long post)
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Oh thank you so much lovelies!!  I love the idea of a compressed bag I will be buying a couple of those that's for sure!  We have a bag each cause I neeeeed choice in what I wear and for my makeup lol.  Thanks Kirsty that helps soooo much!  I love the multi plug suggestion I will be sure to do that.  Thanks again xx
Lutece
1849 posts
1. WOW I love your new hair colour!
2. Congrats on going to Fiji 

Sorry I dont have any advice except to enjoy yourself and have a blast!!
MareeB
5244 posts
I'm sooo jealous - that's awesome. I've never been there, but I've met lots of Fijian women and they're all pretty curvaceous too, so I reckon you'll be legs in for clothes shopping.
ladythorn
108 posts
Shana!! You are so lucky, I am super jealous..   I would kill for a holiday, I've never been to Fiji but I hope you have an awesome relaxing time :)
Macs
5351 posts
Sounds so fun. I will take notes for future reference. My cousin recently went over there and the pics were amazing. All the best for your trip.
Kimrose
1419 posts
Shana, that is so exciting. I work in a pharmacy and the one thing people buy is nodia incase there is a tummy bug going around. Apparently it is really easy to catch if someone has it.  They are expensive to buy on the ship so having a pack might come in handy, but I really hope you wont need them.

Have the best time!
trudijoy
8375 posts
re the icky tummy, literally my cure-all for queasiness, nausea, throwing up etc including my allergic reactions to seafood is....coca cola. I hate it normally but a can if i'm crook sorts my stomach out faaaast :)
Kimrose
1419 posts
Hehe Trudi, my cure all is a good chicken curry!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Haha thats usually a solution to move things along!
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Thanks Lutece :)  It's my fave new colour atm!  Thanks to you all for your well wishes and advice!  I think I will take the advice about the tummy bug stuff too I have heard from my friends who have been on one how fast a tummy bug can circulate on a ship.  Does anyone know where I would get those compress bags from please?
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Hope you have a great time! :)
nemesisroxx
506 posts
Aww man that's soooo awesome gf!!! I have no tips other than have an amaaaazing time!! 
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
The only advice I have is drink heaps and have an amazing time!!
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Aw thanks gf and thanks Jess I will be sure to have an amazing time xx
Rezee
1964 posts
Wow, that sounds amazing! I have no advice either, having neither been on a cruise or to Fiji. A cruise is definitely something I want to do in the future though.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I would totally recommend a cruise holiday Rezee if you can save up for it! I love that you get there unpack once and get to go to different places. The best part is that once you pay for it you have sorted your travel, accommodation, and food all in one go. We were looking at going to an island for a mid-Winter holiday this year.... but I looked at the cost and decided on another cruise instead :P
Rezee
1964 posts
Yeah definitely Kirsty, it's something my partner and I have planned to do once our kids are a bit older. Right now they are aged between 3 and 9 and I think I'd enjoy a cruise more without them coming too ;)
Julieal
915 posts
I have been on a couple of cruises and basically take easy to wash casual ansd a couple of dressed up clothes as they always have a couple of dressed up nights. Plenty of sunscreen and relax and enjoy yourself.
Ringy
825 posts
I just got back from holidays today- take a big bottle of suncream- we used way more than I expected and had to repurchase twice and it's super pricy when you have no choice but to pay it. Also not sure about the Fiji area but where we were tampons ranged from $20-40 a box!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!