Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR (probably) ...careers and lifestyle choices...

49 posts, 24 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
... did you always know what you wanted to be? Did you leave school and know which course you wanted to do?

I'm in a job that didn't exist at the start of the year, in an industry that didn't exist when I was in uni.... before that I was a teacher for 11 years, but i didn't know i wanted to do THAT until I was 21 and teaching English in Japan.

For ages I wanted to work in Tourism (thus the multilingualism) and I wanted to look at hotel management for a while, or interpretation for Japanese tourists.

Around the time I was thinking along those lines I was also assuming I'd be married with a kid by age 24 and probably had travelled a bit and then returned to Tauranga to live. I'm 34, single, childless, living in a city I swore I'd never live in but have lived in twice, a career girl and happy.

What has your career and/or lifestyle path looked like? Are you where you thought you'd be as a teen?
MareeB
5254 posts
Hahaha well Trudi, all I wanted to do when I left school, was leave school! I did want to be a hairdresser, but ended up a Probation Officer! In between times I've had 42 jobs, mainly thanks to the decline in fulltime jobs/any jobs in the 80s where I had to work 2 and 3  temporary/casual jobs at a time. In the 90s I watched a doco on tele about Probation Officers and figured I'd like to be one - prior to that I wanted to be a Corrections Officer or work in some other area of prisoner rehabilitation. It took me 10 years part time to complete some undergraduate diplomas, complete my degree, do some computing and business studies, work fulltime tutoring, and raise my kids alone, before the coveted opportunity arose!

If I had my time over again, I would've stayed working at Cadbury's where I started work at 15, and tried to work my way up into management. Like most youth, I didn't realise when I had it good!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Fascinating Maree!! Wow, so many diff jobs!
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Sorry if I have missed the post saying so Trudi but may you please tell me what you do?  I am intrigued to know because I have seen you talk about it a few times but never read what it was so would love to know :)  For me I hated school dure to bullying but stuck at it until year 13 so I could achieve my tertiary certs.  I never used them but I have always had a fascination with two careers in particular all my life and even more so now.  One is a forensic scientist and the other is an archaeologist.  I am currently doing online courses to obtain my dream of being a forensic scientist but is a slow process.  I am also doing courses by correspondence in social sciences to achieve a qualification towards archaeology. 

While working my way to my dream pathways I have mostly been in administration and am currently an office manager/property manager.  I only do it because I can do it well and it pays the bills.  I actually never visioned myself as a mother and never wanted to be but here I am with my one kid and last kid and two adult step kids.  I couldn't be happier about where I am but I aspire to capture my dream and make it a reality sooner rather than later.  Would be interested in seeing everyone elses thoughts. 
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Gotta love that life pretty much never goes to plan! Haha. It'd be rather boring otherwise!

From the age of about 15 - 23 I was certain I was going to join the Police Force. My plan was to get some life experience by working, travelling, then coming home and joining the force around age 25. I returned from my OE at age 23 and realised just how much patience is required to do said job (farrr more patience than I have). I also realised how much more seriously people take a 6ft male police officer, than they do a 5ft beauty loving female. It's sexist, but is also most people's reality. Essentially, it wasn't going to be something I'd enjoy as much as I'd first thought.

It's been a little strange ever since, because I had this plan my whole life and I was sure I'd see it through. Now I still have no idea what I want to do in its place. But I'm learning that that's okay, a good chunk of people still have no idea what they want to do at age 40, or what they want to do changes etc. Where am I now? Just working my way up the boring ol corporate ladder until I figure it out! Oh, and I've never wanted children,...I always say "never say never", but I'm pretty sure I never will. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
i love hearing other peoples stories!

Shana I work for an educational website, basically. Once a school subscribes my team takes on a facilitation & implementation role with the teachers to help them get the students engaging and achieving at a higher level. As part of that I also co-run big global competitions to give the kids some tangible achievements to aspire to. I mostly deal with NZ and Australia but the comps are global - the last one we had Vietnam, Uzbekistan and all sorts of other cool places involved. Long story short I'm paid to be an expert (it's even in my official job title) but I refer to myself as a consultant.
MareeB
5254 posts
That sounds awesome Trudi - it must be very challenging!

I did social sciences too Shana - it was infinitely fascinating. You must have a lot of patience to be considering those particular careers.

Have you considered a career at Corrections Sarah? we have lots of staff who come from, or go to, Police?

trudijoy
8375 posts
I'm in my element, Maree. I love it. It's a job that found me rather than me going looking for it and it's pretty much a perfect fit. Lucky me :)
MareeB
5254 posts
You are lucky - it's a hard job finding the perfect workplace these days :)
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I just wanted to work in customer service. I went to school to eat my lunch. I couldn't see the point of it. I didnt learn from books. My teachers kept telling me this is what you need, this is how you get jobs etc. How did they know? They were at school. Left school to go to school to learn to teach school, then wlare at school teaching me about the so called real world. NOT saying all teachers are like that. Just that's how it was for me.

Anyway for the girl who didn't learn from books I was in customer service to management level, ended up working in IT reading SQL and geeky IT stuff in charge of a very large retail chain being the person dialing in and fixing computers remotely. Then I ended up working at a prison & for the police. Now I'm in charge of cooking the meals here as well as doing intensive rehab waiting to get off ACC
trudijoy
8375 posts
you got that right maree... since i left teaching the insomnia has stopped, i've cried once in 2 months (it was daily towards the end) and my stress level is much lower - and my confidence and happiness are higher. I'm going out again, meeting people, even considering relationships and things for the first time in a very long time. I've been on this big voyage of self acceptance and doing something so positive career wise has made such a huge difference. I feel valued, and worthy, and that's transferred to my personal life.
MareeB
5254 posts
It's wonderful that you managed to escape before it ruined you for life. I've watched stress almost kill people in all sorts of jobs - it's the curse of the modern age. Almost every working person I know is living a life of quiet (and some not-so-quiet) desperation!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Scary eh Maree
Macs
5351 posts
I dropped out of school young. Couldn't get into any high schools. I did correspondence for a while. Went to tech studied social work. I did work partime running a programme for troubled youth for about three months , then finished. Met my current partner didn't finish my degree moved to auckland. We got sick of auckland moved to tauranga in between caring for mum when she had cancer. Then I did business management with the hope of opening up a mechanic workshop. So Im debating picking up my Social work papers or finding a part time job or doing a diploma in business. Im not quite sure what Im going to choose yet.
idomakeupnz
150 posts
I’ve wanted to be a Forensic Investigator from about the age of 7 I believe, or just any job in Forensics would have been fine.
I was a very intelligent child and did extremely well up until my second year of high school, it’s depressing to think back on it now really, I went from motivated and confident to being absolutely lost and feeling hopeless in life. I let people in my life affect my study habits and how I viewed myself, I ended up believing I wasn’t good enough to get into university to follow my dreams of becoming a Forensic Investigator and so slowly I went downhill.
I ended up dropping out at 16 because I hated my school, my teachers treated me like dirt and I had nothing to stay for at the time. I ended up doing my NCEA Level 1 exams and passing despite thinking I wouldn’t, then the next year I decided to continue with correspondence. I didn’t get far with that, the work was terrible and the quality/substance of it all was just laughable in all honesty.
So after that I decided to just do some volunteering and house cleaning for a bit of money. I volunteered at the SPCA for almost a year before leaving due to not being able to handle it emotionally. After that the lady whose house I was cleaning also stopped calling me in because their situation changed so I was left with nothing again.
A job popped up at Ag Research for a small animal handler, basic care type of jobs, so I applied for that and I actually got an interview which went fairly well for my first ever. Unfortunately I didn’t get the job but she did say I was their second choice and would keep my CV on file (never heard anything from them again). After that I just applied for all the jobs I could while trying to figure out what to do with myself. I had a work experience day at a pet store that went horribly wrong and that paired with my SPCA volunteering put me off the animal care industry altogether. So I was back to square one. I looked into becoming a mortician, it was all done where you’re situated and then the exams via correspondence but getting the 1000+ work experience hours at a funeral home is near impossible due to the fact that they’re all family owned in my town. So once again I was down in the dumps about life and my career path. Then I decided to take the beauty route, it was something I had always loved and thought, well why not? So I enrolled for a beautician course and got accepted, started February 2014 and finished December 2014. It was meant to be a 2 year course but I decided not to go back for the second year because I hated so much. I learnt a lot of valuable things and am thankful for that but most of the teachers were rubbish, the classrooms were ill-equipped and the overall teaching was not up to the standard I expected. I’m now a qualified beautician though and it’s helped me a lot this year in regards to my own skin, my friends and families skin and working on my blog. But now I am left at a standstill yet again. The whole first part of this year I applied for jobs, jobs I was well suited to with my qualification and jobs that I loathed the thought of being in, but I was desperate. I was rejected for every job I applied for, and a majority I never even heard back from. It’s depressing and it really puts a huge damper on your soul. So now I am working on my own things.
Hopefully next year is my year because I feel positive about future plans. Sorry for the long post haha
kirstyj
1732 posts
Thanks for sharing your story idomakeupnz! I hope next year is your year as well, you have certainly worked for it!!!
shazatron101
5112 posts
My beautiful friend! Those places that never replied to you have no idea what they've missed out on, as you are gorgeous, intelligent, kind hearted and your head is screwed on far too well for your age, I wish I was half as together as you at that age. Next year is going to be better, brighter and I KNOW that you are going to get things moving with what you have planned, and I feel very honored to know what you're doing and to be 'a part' of what you're doing. Next year is your year, I can feel it in mah waters ;-) xxx 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Thanks for sharing idomakeupnz; i hope the coming year is amazing for you x
Rezee
1964 posts
I really enjoyed reading your stories, it's nice to see more personal things about you all.
I've never known what I want to do. I always did well at school but I never sstudied and never tried. I got great marks until sixth form and it got hard. I didn't really know how to get on top of it so I skipped heaps of school and then begged my parents to let me drop out a month after I turned 16.
The only jobs I've had were in supermarkets but it was easy and boring work. 
I had my first child 2 months after turning 20 and then had 3 more.
now at 29, I'd like to do something but I still don't know what.  I admire people that know what they want from a young age.  My partner is a butcher and has wanted to be one since he was a little kid.
I'm so over being a sahm but I have major low confidence issues and I'm scared I'll get into some career and hate it. I'm also a perfectionist and procrastinater so that doesn't help!
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
I'll be back later to read through the whole thread, but I just wanted to say omg Rezee I really truly could have written almost the same thing - I did well at school without really trying, managed to graduate 7th form with fairly good marks but didn't really know what I wanted to do so mucked around at uni and 'took a year off' when I was 18 - had my first 5 months after I was 20 and then had 4 kids by the time I was 27 ... it's only now that I've realised I really do want a career in the beauty industry.
And you know from my thread yesterday that I have awful self esteem and confidence issues, which markes the situation harder.
Xxx
MareeB
5254 posts
Rezee and berryliciousbeauty - if you can juggle running a household and getting 4 kids out into the world everyday, then you can do absolutely anything! This a secret men tried to keep for ever - being in the working world is a DODDLE compared to running a household and raising kids. Please follow your dreams, you can accomplish anything you set your mind to :)
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Interesting thread, I'm a bit of a vouyer and love learning about people's lives (in a non creepy way of course haha).

idomakeup I know things have been rough for you but you're on the way up. Next year is gonna be your year!!

Mareebros is it an interesting job being a probation officer? 

Sarahbeauty that's so rad you wanted to be a cop! It really does suck that it is a somewhat sexist culture for cops though. I always admire female cops when I see them - I can't imagine the crap they have to put up with just because they are women.

I work in in television production and it isn't something I ever thought I would work in. Initially I went to uni to study journalism with the ideal of becoming a photographic war correspondent - but that went out the window when I realised how terrifying having a rifle shot next to me was haha. This was also around the time that the first widely broadcast video of a journalist being murderd was released and that had a really huge impact on my career choice.

At age 13 I had a show on a local radio station and then used to have a different show at a different station when I was 14. I wanted to work in radio but didn't want to leave my town to go to broadcasting school. When I was still at school my mum asked me if I wanted a part time job working where I am at now, and I said why not. That was when I was 17 and I'm 30 now and still at the same place (but doing a different role). My job can be insanely stressful and has very weird work hours and it requires me to travel a lot which put strain on previous relationships and friendships. As crazy as my job can be I mostly love it and couldn't imagine myself in any other field - this job allows me to explore my geeky engineer side as well as my photography side. Every day is different and - for the most part, I love working at my job.

ragingfrog
1289 posts
Things at times never turn out as planned. I thought I would be married at 25 and have a couple of kids when I was in primary school and my job would be a nurse. HA! how wrong could I be, working for an insurance company, single, no kids, travelled the world, university drop out and the bank owning more of my home than I do.

The main things I have really learnt are, school isn't always the best place for someone to learn. You can always change your career if you don't like it as some skills are universal. Job hunting can be soul sucking especially when you get no replies.
Chaotic82
522 posts
I like hearing peoples background stories :)

I flip flopped between wanting to be a lawyer and a teacher.  I always kind of just glided through school, got good grades and found it easy.  Then in 7th form I had my first experience with depression, it was crippling and I didn't get the marks to get into Teachers College or Uni.  I was offered a chance to go to Teachers college anyway after a recommendation from school and a doctors letter - I had to do a panel interview and then read a story to a group of children while 4 people watched, and I tanked it because of the space I was in.
So I took a year off, stuffed around - and then by chance a friend mentioned her Early Childhood college. I always liked babysitting and I thought, "I could give it a go." So I did - and it was a perfect fit. (Though a lot more work than babysitting hehe)  I loved being a preschool teacher, since then I've stayed in the Early Childhood field in some way or another - I'm doing in home childcare at the moment to stay home with my third child because he was prem and catches EVERYTHING!

One day I would love to open my own centre, but I doubt the funds will ever come in for that...so being a manager would be something I would like to try :)
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Trudijoy having a job that you want to go to everyday because you enjoy the job and people you work with is the best.

Rezee, how old is your youngest? have you considered early child care as an option. I have a friend who thought about teaching because it would make things easier with her kids. If you still have no real idea you could always have a look at EDX. They have online for multiple schools and courses, if there is something there that interests you.

Berryliciousbeauty and Rezee, the first step of putting yourself out there is increasing your confidence. Courage is not the absence of fear but that something else is more important than fear.

IdomakeupNZ, Shazatron is right. You didn't miss out, the companies that you applied for did. Things happen for a reason even though we can't see it at the time.
Rezee
1964 posts
I've considered child care before, my baby is 3 on vault day. I've spent a lot of time at kindy and I just don't think I have their patience! Berrylicious,  add me on fb if you want, my link is on my profile. Maybe we could help support each other since we have a lot in common. Thanks maree, things definitely don't always run smoothly though! Yesterday morning was a nightmare for me.
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
I have a few friends either working in childcare or studying toward it - I envy their patience and ability to keep calm in all situations lol

Have sent you a request on fb - you're super close to me too - I'm just down in pram! Lol
Ringy
825 posts
the main thing I have learnt is not to be afraid of change. I did police studies at uni with the aim of becoming a police officer, by the end of it there was no way I wanted to follow that line of work. Ended up in the mining industry, got an explosives licence, a big truck license, learnt to drill for gold and basically embraced the lifestyle.  

Then I met my husband and started a family. I started my own business - a children's culinary school with a few kitchens in Australia. Then we made the big lifestyle decision to get out of the FIFO- fly in fly out lifestyle and we moved to where my husband was working- Indonesia and now New Zealand.

An international move is always scary but if it hadn't happened I would never have found BR and such great New Zealand brands. I had to sell my business as it is so hard to work from overseas plus I guess I lost interest because it's not right in my face everyday being so far away.

Now I'm starting to think what can I do now?- the attitude I go by is pretty much 'I can do what ever I put my mind to' so there seems to be too many options to choose from! Good luck to those that are having a tough time of it- I definitely believe it all happens for a reason so don't let it get you down, enjoy the moment.
astylecollector
204 posts
It's so interesting to read other people's stories and it's kinda good to know I'm not the only one that's still trying to figure out what I really want to do career-wise.

I finished school a few years ago now and did fairly well in the subjects I was really interested in like art design and graphics. I thought I wanted to do architecture as my dad was an architect back in the Philippines (he can't practice here unless he gets a degree here to be qualified again unfortunately) but I didn't get in to that because I hated maths. I got into town/urban planning which no one even myself really know what it is about. I perservered and finished the 4-year Planning degree with honours which was a big achievement.

However, when I graduated, there werent't a lot of planning jobs so I got a customer service role in an insurance company at their call centre. This gave me the skills though which led me to a planning-related job eventually. I'm not working as a Planner in council dealing with resource consent applications which is fairly boring. I write a lot of reports and assess whether we should accept development to occur depending on their effects on the environment. This year, I've realised that this job is not for me and I'm currently (secretly) trying to find another role just to get out of it. I have thought many times to just quit and leave but the pay is good and I can't not have an income if I want to pay the bills. 

My goal next year is to find another job. Most likely in a different career path which makes me feel like I've wasted 4 years of my life doing this degree I don't even want to use anymore but to keep my sanity, I really need to find something different and a job that I'll enjoy doing.

trudijoy
8375 posts
It's not 4 wasted years hon, it's four years discovering yourself while doing something productive. I walked away from an 11 year career when I was at pretty much the apex of what I was going to be able to achieve and I won't ever consider that (or the 4 years of uni before that) to be anything other than the prep that got me where I want to be.

You will still be educated and some of it will be transferable skill but you'd hit on the most important thing.... being happy. Getting up and doing work you believe in and enjoy is so incredibly powerful. You simply realised that before I did haha xx
astylecollector
204 posts
Thanks Trudi! You always have great insight and words of wisdom!

I actually enjoyed those 4 years at uni. It's the job I ended up in now that I don't like at all and that realisation hit me hard this year. There has been lots of tears on my end as I feel stuck but I'm slowly getting better as I know I'm trying to do something about it by applying for other jobs. It's daunting but I've realised that not even the salary can keep me here. Id' rather take a large pay cut and be happy than be miserable day in and out in this job.

Fingers crossed I find one. Good luck to all of that are currently looking! 
trudijoy
8375 posts
oops, I misread! Like I said above though, I was in a right state when I left the career that was no longer working for me. Daily tears, insomnia, constantly feeling criticised and worthless. 2 months later, i'm a totally different person. I'm me again. There's a lot to be said for reading your own situation and knowing yourself well enough to know when something's right - and being brave enough to admit that and move on.

I think you'll be just fine, with self awareness and courage like that x
Artemis
311 posts
Age 6, wanted to be a nun. I'm not at all religious, just really liked the Sister Act movies and The Sound of Music, and it seemed like a lot of fun. I also wanted a pink car - I can't stand pink, and I can't drive! 

Then as I grew older, computers and acting became my two passions growing up, and acting was the dream but computers was the "safe option". I never had any luck with the guys either, and figured I'd be single for life. Couldn't stand kids so assumed I'd always live without them! 

I went through a rough patch at high school and dropped out, tried studying computers for a bit but just couldn't handle it. I'm hopeless at maths and science and hadn't been able to get the help I needed at school. I had some (very) minor success at acting, I'm on the Internet Movie DataBase (with just one credit but hey) , but then realised spending hours on set and travelling, etc wasn't what I wanted in my life anymore. I do love acting, but I want it to be on my terms, I don't want it to be at the expense of my family/relationship time. This was around the time my husband and I got engaged and were thinking about starting a family, despite my 'reproductive problems' (could write you a novel on that, lol). One miscarriage, and a few years later, we now have a gorgeous, energetic one year old who I am a stay-home mum to, and husband and I are still madly in love after 9 years (aww cheesy, lol).

I don't know what I'm going to do "when I grow up" yet. I've had many jobs, some I've loved, some I've hated. I miss working though. So there you go, its been a journey and I don't know where its taking me and thats OK. I turn 30 next April and have almost everything I want from life already. A beautiful family, great friends, self-confidence and am genuinely happy with myself. I don't have much money, and I would like a part time job, just to get a break from full time mummying, but apart from that, lifes good. :) 
-Bex-
611 posts
wow what an interesting thread. At school I wanted to either be a hairdresser or work in tourism, then a lovely friend asked if I could help her milk cows during the weekend and school holidays and then as they say the rest was history. I worked my way up the dairy farming ladder and was managing a farm at 21 (what was the farm owner thinking?! Haha) I had 2 sons by then and finished Agito study. Fast forward to June last year and my partner and I are contract milking 2 farms and thankfully our contract will be renewed again this year for another 2-3 years. Oh and we had miss 3 and miss 1. I love being in the dairy industry you are faced with new challenges all the time and it's great you can be rewarded for your hard work. This season though I have found it VERY hard even though the kids are all a year older, although I may have only had 3-4 days off since July. 11 more days and I can FINALLY have a sleep in, oh to wake up when the sun is already up
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Such a great thread trudijoy. I love reading everyone's stories.

I didn't always know what I wanted to be. At school I was good at science, so was expected to do medicine (sidenote: it really irks me that girls are not encouraged to look at science as an option on its own).

Went to uni straight out of 7th form. Knew I wanted to do something sciency. Realised very quickly I could not do medicine as I despise the rote learning required for anatomy and physiology.

Did an undergraduate degree, then honours, then worked for a year for my supervisors, then started my PhD, which I have been doing for the last three years. My area is cancer biology, which I love.

Next step for me is a postdoc, hopefully in Europe.
chikoboo
3402 posts
When I was at school I wanted to be a meteorologist but didn't get the grades needed to get into the required courses in Uni so fell into accounts as a college offered it for my grades, not that I have a head for numbers though.  I went through administrative school and business law before doing 3 years of accounting technician before I got feed up with it and dropped out to work for a car dealership as their service administrator.  That was boring so I got offered a job at a floral distribution centre where I was able to continue my accounts training with them paying it for me (score) even though the passion was never there.  I worked up from office junior to ledger clerk before I left there after another offer of a office manager was presented to me.  Once at the security firm where I was manager I was also offered a chair on the board of members and become financial director of the company. 

Then I met my now hubby who said to me  "hey want to live in NZ with me" bye bye boring accounts I thought.  Now once in NZ I didn't have to work so happily took up volunteering at the local SPCA which lead to a few of our current pets adoptions within my first week but it was fun, no pressure and I got to hang out with furry things all day.   I was happy but then when a millionaire said to me he wanted to hire me as account clerk and help him develope a charity garden centre whilst managing his accounts I thought why not the extra money would be helpful.   Fast forward 2 years and I was managing his accounts, his race horses, 2 vineyards and still working on the set up of the charity garden centre which I proudly managed before we moved from the region.

Now I am sat behind a desk doing data entry trying to save up money for our new home as we lost quite a bit during the move and selling our old home due to the house market crash at the time.  But what I have learnt has made me who I am. 

Luckily I found passion in makeup and beauty following my sign up to BR and now even though I still work full time in this boring job I also do daily blogs, reviews and just have alot of fun in my self made beauty room which I am slowly gaining recognisation for from companies so that is super exciting.  Plans for the future, step 1 buy the house and either give up this job completely or reduce down to part time.  Get on with my international makeup artist course and set up as a freelance MUA plus beauty blogger full time.  Oh and I recently picked up Jamberry and Avon you know because I am not busy enough. 

Artemis
311 posts
This is such an interesting thread, keep the stories coming! Some people assume if you're into beauty, you're vapid, unintelligent and uninteresting, but look at all of us! ???? a diverse and clever bunch of ladies. Having said that, do we get any men on here? I hate to not be inclusive, I've just never seen any men on here that I'm aware of. 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Around the age of 13 I decided I wanted to be a chef. I went through high school doing all the classes that were avaliable that'd head me in the right direction. I was convinced I wanted to go to culinary school (even though I wasn't sure if there was such a thing) I was passionate about food perpetuation, handling and creating meals.

At the age of 15 a life event threw me backwards. I did my Ncea level 1 and dropped out at the end of the year. I wasted a few years of doing nothing but being a 'rebel' doing the odd jobs like working at burger King.

At 17 I fell pregnant with my first child. Had a job at a supermarket where I was a checkout chick but then went into the butchery! This was an eye opening job (I was pregnant with my 2nd child while in this job). When we celebrated my son's 6th birthday I made my first ever cake and with this cake sparked an old passion of mine. It wasn't exactly cooking but definitely along those lines of my high school dream. Ever since making that cake I love making cupcakes and cakes. Creating new ideas and flavours. Once the youngest 2 are in preschool/school I want to do a baking apprenticeship and eventually open my own cake shop :) although it's not being a chef it's becoming a baker so sort of what I wanted to do as a teen.
Macs
5351 posts
I've seen your cake making on instagram. I think you will do well Amy. Belated Congrats for your new baby xxx
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Nawww thanks Macs xx
trudijoy
8375 posts
Artemus, the only one i know of is Dylan! He's super talented
DianaN
143 posts
This is actually so interesting! Finding out everyone's life story and all :)  

As for me, I always did well academically -especially from intermediate school onwards. 

In Year 9, I wanted to be an architect. In year 10, an engineer. Then I got to Year 11 and realised I sucked at physics and was really good at bio. My bio teacher was influential and got me to consider the career of medicine. After researching and discussing with a few people about it, I figured that it was my calling and I've strived towards it ever since. I passed all my NCEA levels with flying colours, and even managed to get a NZQA Outstanding Scholar award which pays $5k for 3 years. I was also runner up to Dux at my high school in Year 13 (2013). 

I went to uni last year - fresh out of high school - and did Year 1 biomed at the University of Auckland which is one of the pathways to get into undergraduate medical school. Despite all the competition, insane workload and lack of any type of 'life', I managed to qualify and have just completed my second year of medical school. I'm doing a summer research project now at the University regarding whether treatement guidelines for Gonorrhoea are followed in NZ and will be starting Year 3 of Medical School at the end of February next year.  

I am stoked to have gotten in and am really enjoying it! Hope I continue to do so for years to come since I am only 19. There is a verrrrry long career path ahead of me though. I'll graduate with my bachlors in 2019, then will have 2 years of being a house officer, and will then need to specialise which can take anywhere between 3 and 8 years depending on the specialisation.  

My concerns are about my social life and whether I'll be able to manage a career and a family. I just feel like I'm so busy all the time and don't have that much time to catch up with friends or be in a relationship - guess I just need to re-prioritise. I'm also nervous about professionalism and am worried that I won't know enough to be a competent doctor. I guess that's why being a doctor takes such a long time... 
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
So many amazing women on here! I loved reading all of your stories, ladies, you just never know who's hiding behind the computer screen!

Maree - I had really only considered the role of a prison guard, which was the same thinking as the Police, but thanks for the idea, I'll have a look to see if there are any other roles might peak my interest :)

Ringy - I love your outlook! I need to print that out, stick it all over my walls and make a phone case out of it to serve as a constant reminder #creep
severest
44 posts
I was a horribly rebellious teenager and though I did extremely well at school I was asked to leave (not expelled!!) at 16. I worked in retail for a few years before deciding that I was money hungry and wanted a career so at the age of 20 I was able to start university as an adult student and started off doing a certificate in social sciences before completing a degree in sociology.

I am now a banking consultant for a leading NZ bank - which is never where I though I'd end up in a million years as banking is so conservative - and ,myself being a tattooed and pierced woman is loving it!

I've been in the banking industry for 5 years - minus 1 year of maternity leave - and am slowly working my way up the corporate ladder one rung at a time. Never would have pictured myself in this type of job - as a kid I always wanted to be a lawyer or psychologist - guess in banking its almost like getting the best of both worlds!
mallomiss
569 posts
WOW!!! What a great thread!!!
I love hearing/reading about people's lives! We have such an interesting bunch of Ladies here! 

I grew up wanting to be a Doctor. I didn't know what type but I was adamant. I was smart enough too! 
However when I got to High School everything changed. 
I had a rough couple of years with my family - moving Countries and back to NZ & around CHCH so I ended up at 4 different High Schools. 
My schooling failed, I got in with a 'Bad Crowd' (incidently majority of this bad crowd are life long friends) & stopped caring about school. I'd forgotten that I was smart & wanted to practice Medicine.
I left School at 15 with an exemption on the grounds that I continued to study at a Youth Institution. 
I enrolled at Nga Hui E Wha Marae on a Life Skills Course for Young People. The tutor, Mike, was amazing. He had been a Chef most of his life & when he started his family decided to teach, somehow ended up there teaching Youth in both the Life Skills & Cooking Courses. He ignited a passion in me I never knew existed & I switched from the Life Skills Course to the Cooking one. 
I went on from that at the age of 16 to Polytech where I started my first year in Hospitality with the dreams of becoming a Chef. 
Along with this I moved out of home & had to work to support my self, so through my Work Experience I got jobs at night in various Resturants around CHCH. 
I got pregnant at 17 & that ended that career pathway. After having actually worked in Kitchens for that time I'd decided I actually hated Hospo so I wasn't too phased. 

Once my Daughter was born, I'd decided I wanted to be an Early Childhood Teacher... That lasted all of about 6 months as once I was in placement I figured out that I actually didn't like small children all that much. So I quit that.

I took a few months doing not much after that to figure things out, remembered that I was actually smart & decided I wanted a good future for myself & my Daughter. 
I decided I wanted to work with Youth. SO I went back to Polytech & completed a Certificate in Youth Work. My placement on this course was at a Drop in Centre that also had Life Skills Courses for Young Offenders, I became a secondary Tutor on one of those - at the age of 19! This was definitely a challenge when I was a young person myself.
Those beautiful troubled young people taught me that I am strong.

From there I decided I wanted to get into the Psychology part of Adolescence & I had an interest in the COrrections part too, so my next step was the University of Canterbury to do first year Psycology (along with some other subjects) with the intention of moving to Wellington so I could complete the Bachelor of Criminology.....
Turns out after years of drugs I wasn't so book smart afterall. I failed my first year......

A few other things happened that led me to give up my Daughter, my Mum & Step Father Whangai'd her. This was the best decision I ever made as she is now (14) & the most well rounded, smart & beautiful person I know. 

From there I worked in various Cafe's & Bars to pay the bills. 

In 2008 I got a job at Telecom as a Cutomer Services Rep on the phones. It was different to Hospo so a very refreshing change. I actually loved it! I'd found something I was good at! Sales! 
I was working my way up the food chain there when the Earthquakes happened. February saw my home & my soul destroyed along with the beautiful City I loved. 
I was with my (now ex) Partner and we had my eldest Son (then 2) & we couldn't handle living with 6 other people at my Dad's house so we moved to Blenheim.
That lasted 6 months. I was a Stay at Home Mum in that time as Blenheim is not the easiest place to get a job. Fortunately my Partner had a good job. Which in turn he lost so we had to move back to Quake City. 
I was pregnant with youngest when we moved back. 
I worked for 2 Degrees on a temp contract during my pregnancy then took 12 months Maternity. 
It was extremely difficult to get back into the workforce after 12 months off in a City where there was a flood of redundant Professionals all jostling for the 'minor' jobs.

I ended up getting a job at my local New World as a Demonstrator (boringest job in.the.world) where I worked for 6 weeks while I was looking for something else. 

I landed a job as Counter Staff with Placemakers (my current employer). 
In the 2 1/2 years I have been here I have worked my up and been trained for a few different roles. My current role as an Interiors Consultant is fantastic! I design Kitchens and Bathrooms & get to use my Sales ability along with making great relationships with great people.

I never thought I'd end up here but I love it. 

I still dream of higher qualifications & pay rates... but I've learnt.. All in good time, it's never too late & I'll never be too old.  
mallomiss
569 posts
Apologies for the novel haha & my spelling mistakes :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
no need to apologise! These stories are awesome
Macs
5351 posts
That was interesting mallomiss. 
idomakeupnz
150 posts
Thank you so much @kirstyj @trudijoy @jessickaxnz @ragingfrog <3 
and @shazatron101 I'm really happy you came into my life this year! You've been an amazing friend through these tough times and I'm so excited to be able to share what I'm doing with you :D you've been so helpful! xx

It's awesome to see how diverse the BR community is, I've really enjoyed reading these stories and seeing what people have been through and achieved in their careers (:

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!