Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Skin hydration favourites, hero's etc.

23 posts, 7 members
MissDilly
229 posts
Hello! Need some feedback on hydration products....
I've been using The Ordinary for a while now in my routine - Buffet and Hyaluronic 2%+B5 I've been religiously using for nearly a year with others thrown in at times, but I've been specifically targeting hydration given I'm in the 40-something bracket. The TO products work really well for my skin generally, but I don't really know anything different either. I also use the Elizabeth Arden Vit.C ceramide capsules each morning - and really like them but haven't looked at any other EA products - but could. 
Night time I do alternate with a retinol product, most recently Drunk Elephant, but used Buffet every other night till I ran out - and now I just use a rosehip oil.  My Buffet and Hyaluronic products ran out and Mecca had the Drunk Elephant sets, so I jumped at a chance to try. Other than their Retinol, I've been under-whelmed, so now wondering - is TO Buffet and Hyaluronic what I go back to or is there some other hydration serum-hero I haven't discovered.  I've been looking at Tailor but they don't have a 'Hyaluronic' product as such, so just wondering if anyone has used their products specifically around hydration and skin plumping or can recommend other products I haven't discovered yet.... or is tried and true best .... 
AboutFace
413 posts
When my skin was really dry I was recommended Clinique dramatically different moisturiser, It really helped to hydrate my skin. Otherwise you could possibly look at Dr Hauschka, they have a lovely range and are natural your skin will feel amazing using their products.
MissDilly
229 posts
Thank you! Interestingly, I did used to use the Clinique range as a whole system,  and it worked well for me, and recently wondered whether instead of my mix of products I should go back to a good 'one-brand' skincare routine to get products made to work together.  I used to religiously use the toner, moisturiser, eye cream etc. with Clinique, and tried the same with Estee Lauders, and like the look of Clarins.. I wonder if I muck my skin up a little by chopping/changing my products :-)  
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I find mixing and matching works really well for my skin personally and never use a complete range. The Clinique 3-step is an absolute disaster for me as it makes my skin feel like I've used paint stripper on it (even when my skin was on the oily side). I think there's some good products in the moisture surge range though.

Anything with hylauronic acid in is going to be good for hydration. It's also good to use a mist after them as they way hylauronic acid works is that is draws moisture to your skin. If the air is dry, it will draw moisture from your skin itself. If you use a mist afterwards, it will draw moisture from the mist instead, then follow with a moisturiser (any will do) to seal it all in.

Also you might be sensitive to sulphates - SLS (sodium laurel sulphate) makes my skin feel tight and even burning if I use products with it in. Clinique use it in their foaming face wash. Not everyone reacts to it so I know people who love this wash. Theres also a Shiseido one that people rave about that I can't use for the same reason.

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I would also suggest only introducing one new product to your routine at a time so that you know what works for you and what, if anything, causes a reaction. I need to follow this more myself - my routine is different every night. Luckily my skin doesn't react to much (apart from sulphates) so I think when you switch things up regularly, you can get the benefit of lots of different ingredients). I just really loved skincare so I like to use lots of different products.
MissDilly
229 posts
@worldofsooziewong thank you! That's really helpful information. It's been quite some time since I've looked at regimes other than the trials here. I'll look at the sulphates aspect - I know my hair isn't a fan of sulphates.  I tend to use balm based cleansers to avoid stripping my skin. It's so hard to know what's best when there's so many options out there. I think I'll keep TO Buffet in my routine regardless and then figure out what works best. I've been taking advantage of the Christmas gift sets to try some new products  :-) 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I really liked Buffet when I tried it a couple of years ago and would buy it again if I ever make it through my stash. If you are looking for a good hylauronic acid, Hada Labo ones are great and super affordable. You'll have to buy online though and the products are all labelled in Japanese though. I'd highly recommend the gold range though. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
  I've tried both the Ordinary's Hylauronic Acid and the Hada Labo one and I would recommend the Hada Labo one over the TO one. Firstly you on Yestyle you get a big 170ml bottle for around 22 bucks as opposed to a small 30ml bottle from the TO for around 10-15 bucks. Secondly the formula is less sticky and more watery and hydrating which means you can apply several layers and really plump up your skin. My fave atm that I've repurchased multiple times is the Premium Lotion in the gold color line. I've also tried the regular and the red line which were good but much more watery.
MissDilly
229 posts
Thanks ladies! You're a wealth of knowledge. I've gone and ordered Hado Labo premium lotion from yesstyle - I've got nothing to lose at that price ... Thank you so much everyone... Yay for Friyay and the weekend... it's haircut Saturday for me - pixie cuts are such high maintenance - I feel like I've rocked helmet hair for nearly 2 weeks.! 
MissDilly
229 posts
[color=#291b29]Hada Labo Premium lotion for the win... loving where my skin is at having used it for nearly a month now - hydrated, plump, bright and clear - Yay!. Thanks for the fabulous recommendation ladies!  Any other Hada Labo holygrails I should try?[/color]
MissDilly
229 posts
sorry for multiple posts.... think the Forum might have some technical glitches...with the http source code showing and repeat posts ....
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
MissDilly, there was an emoji at the end of your post which may have caused the problem with the unwanted text appearing (forum pasts can't handle them). I've removed it but it hasn't got rid of the extra text so I'm not sure what's going on. 

Hada Labo did do an awesome spray but I couldn't find it the last time I was in Japan so it's either a limited edition or seasonal thing, which happens a lot in Japan. I've also got the Perfect Gel which is quite nice and a pot lasts forever. 

MissDilly
229 posts
Not sure either - I don't 'emoji' beyond simple text in BR - so maybe a momentary tech glitch ..... will keep an eye out for the gel! I'm totally hooked on the lotion - amazing!!!! 
tannygirl
3392 posts
I've only tried the regular Hada Labo lotion in the white and light blue bottle. It's much more watery and then a tried the red light lotion which was thin as well. Of the two my fave is by far the gold premium lotion. I do have one of their UV gel moisturizers which I need to try at some point. But those are the only products I have and have tried.
MissDilly
229 posts
I'm not sure when it changed from being just online,  but I noticed yesterday in Wellington CBD, that Farmers now has The Ordinary in the store. The range of products seemed half reasonable too :-) 
AboutFace
413 posts
Yes I think it has been in Farmers for a few months.
How is your dog getting on Miss Dilly?
MissDilly
229 posts
Awww thanks for asking. He's still not well. We had 3 weeks clear but the problem returned yesterday but in a different set of lymph nodes. None of the tests showed cancer - but no idea of the cause either so everyone is concerned - he seems to respond to antibiotics well but a worrying time, hoping it's just a bump in the road
AboutFace
413 posts
I hope you have a good outcome, not nice when you don't know what's going on. Wishing all the best:-)
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@MissDilly, so sorry to hear that your FurKid is unwell.  Fingers crossed that he gets better soon. x
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I hope he gets better soon too, MissDilly. It's horrible when our fur babies are sick and we can't tell them what's wrong, even worse still when we don't even know what's wrong either. 
MissDilly
229 posts
@aboutface @silvene @worldofsoozie wong  thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts.... it is heart breaking. He's hanging in there - just wish we knew what we were dealing with - but onwards and upwards, we'll just have to take it day by day. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Hope it works out ok MissDilly x 
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
Glad I came across this thread. I've become more concerned about hydration ... I swear dryness crept up on me real fast! I've just put in a big The Ordinary order and researching a lot about what to put together and how often. I love the suggestion from @worldofsooziewong saying to use a hydrating mist along side an HA to draw moisture from it rather than your skin ... I'm soooo going to do this!!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!