Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Heartbreak and hair extensions ... help?

9 posts, 7 members
tabykitten
186 posts
Yesterday I decided ‘if you can’t change you life, change your hair!’ I went in to a salon, thinking I’d drastically change the colour from light blonde to copper.

The coulourist and I talked over the colour, looked at photos, and agreed to the exact shade. I had a different stylist for the cut, she asked what I wanted and I said ‘a lob!’ ... the same cut as what I had. The same thing I’ve asked for countless times in the exact same way. Including at that exact salon. My hair was past my shoulders, all I really wanted was a trim to make it healthy. 

Long story short… She must have heard bob, not lob. My hair… it’s gone. I didn’t notice till it was too late, and by the time I did realise, it just didn’t seem worth saying anything because it was done. I mean, hair grows back, right? 

Sure - but on the walk home I started feeling a bit sick about it. The wind on the back of my neck made my heart hurt. By the time my hubby got home I’d been crying for about an hour. I was up till three reading about wigs and hair extensions and crying.

I didn’t think I’d be this gutted but I am. I woke up still feeling sick about it. The colour is fantastic, but the cut... and I feel like the bold colour draws even more attention to it. So the one thing I love is cancelled out by the one thing I hate. :(

I’m just wondering if anyone here has any advice on hair extensions. I have very fine hair, and now it’s really short in the back. I don’t want it to look fake, and I also don’t want to ruin my hair - I’ve worked really hard to get it healthy, the last thing I want to do is wreck that. I also don’t want to pay a mint for them, I’m not really sure how much they’d cost to get done (I’d get them done at a salon, I just couldn’t understand from their pricing menu how the costing worked). 

Any advice is really gratefully received.

Disclaimer - I don’t want to go into blaming the hair stylist for this, it was a genuine mistake. I’m just sharing the story because I’m so, so gutted and I needed somewhere to talk... if I end up living with this cut and not getting extensions I’m going to try to rock it and not complain (or cry!) if/when people comment on it. Hopefully I can do that, and this is my one place to get it off my chest. :)

Imoshen
461 posts
Oh I feel your pain!  It is truly devastating to oneself having a picture in your mind of what you wanted only for a mistake to happen and it be completely different.  

Yes hair grows back but it takes time.  

Don't have a knee jerk reaction going from one extreme to another.  Step back, take a breath and decide properly how you are going to approach this.  Then, go back to the salon, explain what happened and what options are open to you to help fix it.

Also, look into the vitamin called Biotin (it's pretty cheap on healthpost).  There are studies being done on it that claim it helps hair grow faster BUT there are also people that develop cystic acne from it.  You might not be one of those people but you need to research it and be aware of side effects.

Hair extensions aren't cheap, neither are wigs so could you look at another short style and see if you can rock that till it grows out?
tabykitten
186 posts
Thank you so much for your kindness and understanding... my poor hubby, he must think I’m a crazy lady that I’m so down about this (to his credit he keeps saying it looks fine, he’s a good husband :))

I’m going to investigate Biotin, was also thinking of getting some flaxseed oil... If I take emotion out of the situation, it’s really only about 3 inches shorter. And it will grow... Life lesson from this is to always confirm what I want, not just assume I’ve been clear enough. 

Thanj you again, I really appreciate you replying :)
MareeB
5244 posts
Oh no! You poor girl! it's devastating when that happens, and it takes ages to grow it back. Good luck - I hope a hairdresser can sort something out for you that you can live with.
MareeB
5244 posts
Oh and a bit of advice - don't do what I did and try and fix it with a shorter hair cut. I'm in much worse shape now than when I started, which was months ago.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
That really sux! I've never had this happen so I'm probably not going to be very helpful. Perhaps give it a few days as it may grow on you, lol no pun intended. Its winter so beanie time which could help cover it up if you really hate it.
The plus side being hair grows and I'm sure you will be back at a suitable length soon enough. I'm sure it looks fab!
shazatron101
5112 posts
ohhh my heart broke for you when i read this!!! there is nothing worse than seeing your hopes and dreams for your hair go down the drain!

honestly... as much as you don't like it and are heartbroken, i think you should leave it and not get extensions. learn to style the bob in a way you can live with. there are so many new ways to style short hair styles i'm sure you'd find one! try to think of it as a hairstyle you'd never choose for yourself and try new things with it. that's the approach i would take, anyway.

i love the attitude you have though "it's hair, it'll grow back" because it is true, even though i know how sucky it is. if all else fails, lucky its winter and you can wear scarves for your now exposed neck and hats on your head x

ps i'm sure you still look gorgeous xx
trudijoy
8375 posts
I cut like 2/3 off my hair last year, loved it for a week then got over it... and in less than a year it was back and WAY healthier! It’s winter, buy cute hats and headbands and then by the time it’s warmer it’ll be longer!

Failing that I’ve heard amazing things about the Loxys range
Macs
5351 posts
Hi there, 

This is the exact reason why I  have trust issues with Hair Stylists. 

I have a friend with short hair at work . She gets hair extensions put in every so often . Can easily range from $200 and up to $2,000. If you know how to apply them yourself could save yourself some money. If your inAuckland there’s a place called Hair boutique. All else fails could wait it out to grow. All the best x

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!