Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Gel Nail Kits

11 posts, 7 members
Jcw29
20 posts
Hi all :-) so I am contemplating buying a gel nail kit but am wondering first if anyone has any recommendations of good ones? I have used my sisters Gelack kit and really wasn't too fussed on it, the UV light and formula burned my fingers for some reason, but otherwise i've never had any issues with gels. Has anyone tried the Jamberry gel nail kit? And if so what is it like etc? Thanks guys :-)
RamblingRose
1280 posts
If your nails feel like they're burning when inside a UV or LED lamp when your gel polish is curing, it won't be the fault of the brand or the product's formula but rather that the polish has been incorrectly applied and is probably far too thick, which has caused an exothermic reaction.

If it's your fingers that are burning, the polish has probably been incorrectly applied and the product has come into contact with the skin.  This is why a 1mm border is usually left around the edge of the edge nail plate when applying gel polish, to prevent the gel polish from being in contact with any skin.
Qweenkaren
313 posts
I have a Sally Hansen Gel kit with lamp, and I have used it with other branded gel polishes with no problems.
(I got mine in Australia though - not sure if they are available in NZ) With the change in polishes & the Sally Hansen ones where you dont need a lamp, I'll probably get rid of mine once I get through the Gel polishes I have.
Jcw29
20 posts
Silvene - thanks for that info, I must have applied it too thick I think, as I am super tidy when I do my nails but the burning under my nails was exactly like you described and iv'e never had that happen before. I will have another go with the Gelack and just do thinner coats to see if that helps. Thanks :-)
Jcw29
20 posts
Qweenkaren, i will have to look into the Sally Hansen ones, I have read some good reviews while researching them too, thanks for that :-)
Kikikiana
52 posts
Hi, just thought i'd add, if your nails feel like they are burning it could also be becasue your actual nails are just very thin!!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Like Qweenkaren, my Mum has the Sally Hansen kit and Lamp, She has done my nails with this kit and I had no troubles. The Sally Hansen gel range is pretty good, I love my Mum's collection. Sorry I have no ther advice xx
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I'm interested also if anyone has any recommendations!
Jcw29
20 posts
Kikikiana that was probably part of the problem too now you mention it.. it had only been a couple of weeks since i had had my acrylics removed and my nails were a little damaged from them..it makes sense because i had never had any issues with gel nails until then and using the gellack kit.
Jcw29
20 posts
Amyxxoo thats good to hear more positive feedback about the sally hansen ones, they are on my list to try out :-)
Today i borrowed a gellack kit again and ordered a jamberry one, i liked the fact the jamberry trushine gel kits are free of all the bad stuff they put in the gel polishes so will be interesting to see how they go, i will update this thread once i have tried them out, just for others who are interested to know :-)
Macs
5351 posts
Never tried one before. Definately watching everyone's suggestions.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!