Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Men's products.....have you used them?

18 posts, 14 members
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Hi ladies, I was wondering if anyone in here has used men's facial care before?  I just ask because I would assume the fact that they shave their face they would require sensitive sort skin care regimes.  I have dry skin and wondered if it was worth giving it a go to see if it would make a difference.
triffid
151 posts
Interesting question.I wondered too about Mens beauty products but of course they probably are called grooming products.I have a son and SIL with sensitive skin and bought the Nivea for men(sensitive)I did sneak a wee bit of facial cleanser BUT mens products are designed to soften the bristles and exfoliate their skin before shaving.It was definitely stronger,tingling on my face but I went a bit further and tried it on my legs before exfoliating .It was great for that as it really lifted the dry skin and freed the hairs ready for removal .Actually it would definitely wake you up and leave you all tingly inthe morning. :)

I tried the eye cream which was OK but once again more manly perfumed.
Now fess up who else has had a wee trial of their mans products?(We all know they use our stuff)

sophie4cats
139 posts
I'm no cosmetic expert, but my understanding is that Men's products are for 'sensitive' skin but are actually quite abrasive.

Having active thick hair follicles (like men do, and everyone has on their head) creats more oil compared to skin with less/fine hair. So I think men's products are targeted at removing this extra oil and remove any gunk that builds up around them. This could explain the tingling you get when you use guys products, because our follicles are much thinner and not used to such a vigorous clean?
And as mentioned above I think they do work to soften the hair and make it easier to get a close cut, but because of my previous point not sure theyd be any good?
sophie4cats
139 posts
Also would that potentially make your dry skin worse, as theyd remove even more oil? Not completely sure though (: (:
Macs
5351 posts
I have tried my partners facial cleanser once. Didnt feel different. Have also tried his body wash. Love using his shavers too lol
Kia
550 posts
I love using men's body washes, soaps and shampoos because of the smell! they smell so much nicer than women's products!! I was complaining to a friend about my dark under eye circles and he suggested this eye fix for men from Olay and I purchased and used it, and it works wonders!
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Hhmm interesting points about it targeting the build up of oils around hair folicles. I do wonder if I might try it on my legs then to help with shaving. I like the smell better than women's products too so I use lynx body wash. I think I will go down a more natural route of skin care to help.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I love using men's body wash aswell! Smells so good! I haven't tried using facial products or anything like that just because my skin is sensitive! I love using their shaving creams and gels for when I shave my legs and love using their razors too!
nemesisroxx
506 posts
Can't say I have. But I have used the ex bfs Lynx and deoderant in a pinch. I also wear Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male sometimes. Such an amaazing scent!
triffid
151 posts
Like Marleen I too enjoy using the shaving cream and razor and some of the body washes are quite refreshing.I have seen hubby use my moisturiser,hair conditioner and shampoo but as yet not my lipstick  although he uses a lip salve

I found this survey whihc was 2013 and would love to know what our men use too.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/02/beauty-products-for-men_n_3535068.html
Kellie
570 posts
I used to sneak a bit of The Husbands' Men's Science cleanser when my skin was really breaking out - and I loved it, it made my skin feel sooooo clean, and not dry either.Other than that I leave his stuff alone.  Men's shower wash/deoderant scents are too strong for my liking.  Funnily enough, moisturisers I buy that I find too harsh on my skin (or too oil inducing) are often sent his way, and he loves them (as long as they're not too strongly scented, ha!).  
clare
11 posts
I like my husbands Clinique Facial Scrub and I know it does a great job clearing the dead skin cells off.  It has a warm menthol (?) tingle to it but I don't mind that.  Even bought my own one when none of his was left.

Lutece
1849 posts
a very interesting topic! I do buy my own men's razors to shave my legs and I did use a whole bottle of my hubby's after shaving gel on my legs, it was from the Nivea range and it was really good!
Marcel
335 posts
I wouldn't use men's products because they smell like man! Women's products are a lot prettier like..but men's razors though I feel are generally superior to women's razors!
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Yes I do agree!  Men's shavers are far superior to women's they are more gentle on the skin and last longer if you use their disposable ones!  Besides I shave less often when using men's shavers which is always good
notjaya
62 posts
Not really facial products. Perfumes, yes! I like the Clinique Happy for men.
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
no I don't get into my husbands things nothing in that department that he's got that I want:) not even a razor. I like my own things 
Angell
182 posts
Let me see. I have used hubby's moisturiser a few times when I ran out. Can't say my face felt any better or worse than when I'm using my own. So, really not bad. Until I got divorced from hubby no. 1, I have used a men's razor to shave. Ex had his and I had mine. Why? To be honest, the shave for me is much better, closer and I feel hairless for a lot longer. I went back to female razors when I was single as I didn't want any guy that I might be interested in get the wrong idea. Happy with hubby no. 2 and still using female razors (might switch back again hahahahah). Also, a few times in the past, I have used men's deoderant. Brut is one of my favourite smells and also some of the Lynx smells. I'm not a girly girl but I'm not a butch girl either, I just think with some stuff the men products are either equal or maybe even better :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!