Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Bar Shampoo & Conditioner

22 posts, 7 members
MickChick
41 posts
Hello lovely BR members, 

I'm seeking your advice please.
I'm on the hunt for the absolute best shampoo & conditioner bars you've used - specifically for coloured/damaged hair. I'm needing something for a really sensitive scalp, I'd prefer to support a small business rather than a chain product/store. I'm also wanting as natural as possible with minimum perfumes. 
Asking alot, I know! 
Can anyone help me on my hunt?
Much love xxx 
-Amy 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I love using Ethique’s shampoo bars, they’re fantastic, work well and last for ages (especially when stored in one of their in-shower containers).  The have all different types of shampoo bars and they do conditioner too, so have a look and see if one of them fits what you’re looking for.  Here’s a link to their site.  
MickChick
41 posts
Thanks Silvene :) Really on the hunt for a non-supermarket range ideally. But good to know :) 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Ethique is not sold in supermarkets.  They only sold their products online and at selected stockists until about a year ago when Farmers and pharmacies started selling their range too, but if that’s not what you’re after, try Googling  “Pure Peony” or “Dirty Hippie” shampoo bars.  I haven’t used Pure Peony or Dirty Hippie, so can’t recommend them, but good luck in finding what you’re looking for. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I like Ethique too and I have colour treated hair. The Lush shampoo bars are a definite no for coloured hair. Ethique do a great sampler pack which has lasted me ages as I have short hair. These are also great for travel. Unfortunately I didn't realise that I had run out of shampoo until it was too late the other day and I had to resort to hotel shampoo.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Ethique hair care bars have been a staple for me for year. I rotate between the Heali-Kiwi and the St Clements bars. You can also get a sampler for cheap and try the different bars and even though they're small you can get like 4-6 uses out of them. 
MickChick
41 posts
On the Ethique website, it only has sample packs of the face bar products. Is there somewhere else I can go to find these?
RamblingRose
1280 posts
If you click on “Gifts and Bundles” on Ethique’s site, it takes you to all their sample packs.  Click here for a shortcut. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Tannygirl, those shampoo samples last me weeks and I get months out of the conditioner ones lol. I’m deciding whether to just buy another sample box as I think the full size shampoo bar will last me years!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Jeymar make a 100% natural shampoo bar, I got one in a beauty advent calendar. They are a small NZ business. I haven’t tried mine, not sure if I will. It’s rosemary scented.

I was using the Ethique ones for ages but they weren’t cooperating with my long, fine, dyed hair that gets washed daily so I switched back
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@worldofsooziewong, the samples also last me 3-4 weeks.  I bought a full sized bar of St Clements shampoo last year and started using it in September.  I wash my hair every second night, and I still have half a bar left 5 months later!  They definitely do last much longer than a bottle of liquid shampoo, and I find they work better, too.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@ Trudijoy, Rosemary shampoo is supposed to be really good for oily hair.  If you’re really not going to use that Jeymar shampoo bar, I’ll happily buy it off you. :) 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Sorry silvene someone beat you to it!  I had a look on their site though and the small size I have is only $4.50, and they have other options too.

http://jeymarsoap.nz/
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Yeah, thanks. No worries. I saw that before I messaged you.  Just thought I’d stick it out there in case you were going to end up with it lying around. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Thanks for the thought :)

ill stick to my fudge shampoo and conditioner - one of a few things my hair loves.

my old fave PPS ones are no longer available. sad
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I think the quickest Ive got through a sample bar is four weeks when I was travelling as I wasn’t able to dry it out properly and was washing my hair more. I usually only need to wash it a couple of times a week usually. I swear the conditioner bars actually expand as I use them lol. Weird. 
MickChick
41 posts
I think I'm going to go with Dirty Hippie. I am really loving their ingredients, and not keen on putting money into big businesses like Ethique. More wanting to start finding NZ companies I can regularly support, while also being more sustainable :) Thanks for all the great feedback xx 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Only in NZ would ppl think of a company like Ethique as ‘big business’ .

theyre a start-up who have achieved a bit of success because they formulate, market and interact extremely well..... but they’re not a big business. I’d liken them to a craft brewery or boutique coffee roasters etc.... small, well cared for, with a human touch and quality product

I religiously buy my holy grail Cleanser from them and l I love that I can buy it in stores now - makes the whole thing easier, I don’t love online shopping 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Agreed. I’d call them a successful, growing business rather than a big business. It’s great to see all their hard work pay off with a growing international market. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I agree Soozie those shampoo and conditioner bars if stored properly last ages. I only need to buy shampoo once a year like every 8-10 months and the conditioner actually outlasts the shampoo and up until I chopped my hair a month ago I had hip length hair so I used plenty of conditioner. 
EliseMM
120 posts
I highly recommend Wellington Apothecary shampoo bars. I have very sensitive scalp, and their Shampoo Smoothie worked so well that I will certainly be repurchasing. It lasted a super long time. The only down side is that although it is great on my scalp, it does strip the hair quite a bit, so might not work on coloured hair.
Jessicaparkin
13 posts
I find really good shampoo bars in common sense organic. They seem to have different ones from local suppliers. I like supporting the little guy! Also the block dock do great shampoo bars. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!