Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Bar Shampoo & Conditioner

22 posts, 7 members
MickChick
41 posts
Hello lovely BR members, 

I'm seeking your advice please.
I'm on the hunt for the absolute best shampoo & conditioner bars you've used - specifically for coloured/damaged hair. I'm needing something for a really sensitive scalp, I'd prefer to support a small business rather than a chain product/store. I'm also wanting as natural as possible with minimum perfumes. 
Asking alot, I know! 
Can anyone help me on my hunt?
Much love xxx 
-Amy 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I love using Ethique’s shampoo bars, they’re fantastic, work well and last for ages (especially when stored in one of their in-shower containers).  The have all different types of shampoo bars and they do conditioner too, so have a look and see if one of them fits what you’re looking for.  Here’s a link to their site.  
MickChick
41 posts
Thanks Silvene :) Really on the hunt for a non-supermarket range ideally. But good to know :) 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Ethique is not sold in supermarkets.  They only sold their products online and at selected stockists until about a year ago when Farmers and pharmacies started selling their range too, but if that’s not what you’re after, try Googling  “Pure Peony” or “Dirty Hippie” shampoo bars.  I haven’t used Pure Peony or Dirty Hippie, so can’t recommend them, but good luck in finding what you’re looking for. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I like Ethique too and I have colour treated hair. The Lush shampoo bars are a definite no for coloured hair. Ethique do a great sampler pack which has lasted me ages as I have short hair. These are also great for travel. Unfortunately I didn't realise that I had run out of shampoo until it was too late the other day and I had to resort to hotel shampoo.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Ethique hair care bars have been a staple for me for year. I rotate between the Heali-Kiwi and the St Clements bars. You can also get a sampler for cheap and try the different bars and even though they're small you can get like 4-6 uses out of them. 
MickChick
41 posts
On the Ethique website, it only has sample packs of the face bar products. Is there somewhere else I can go to find these?
RamblingRose
1280 posts
If you click on “Gifts and Bundles” on Ethique’s site, it takes you to all their sample packs.  Click here for a shortcut. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Tannygirl, those shampoo samples last me weeks and I get months out of the conditioner ones lol. I’m deciding whether to just buy another sample box as I think the full size shampoo bar will last me years!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Jeymar make a 100% natural shampoo bar, I got one in a beauty advent calendar. They are a small NZ business. I haven’t tried mine, not sure if I will. It’s rosemary scented.

I was using the Ethique ones for ages but they weren’t cooperating with my long, fine, dyed hair that gets washed daily so I switched back
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@worldofsooziewong, the samples also last me 3-4 weeks.  I bought a full sized bar of St Clements shampoo last year and started using it in September.  I wash my hair every second night, and I still have half a bar left 5 months later!  They definitely do last much longer than a bottle of liquid shampoo, and I find they work better, too.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@ Trudijoy, Rosemary shampoo is supposed to be really good for oily hair.  If you’re really not going to use that Jeymar shampoo bar, I’ll happily buy it off you. :) 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Sorry silvene someone beat you to it!  I had a look on their site though and the small size I have is only $4.50, and they have other options too.

http://jeymarsoap.nz/
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Yeah, thanks. No worries. I saw that before I messaged you.  Just thought I’d stick it out there in case you were going to end up with it lying around. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Thanks for the thought :)

ill stick to my fudge shampoo and conditioner - one of a few things my hair loves.

my old fave PPS ones are no longer available. sad
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I think the quickest Ive got through a sample bar is four weeks when I was travelling as I wasn’t able to dry it out properly and was washing my hair more. I usually only need to wash it a couple of times a week usually. I swear the conditioner bars actually expand as I use them lol. Weird. 
MickChick
41 posts
I think I'm going to go with Dirty Hippie. I am really loving their ingredients, and not keen on putting money into big businesses like Ethique. More wanting to start finding NZ companies I can regularly support, while also being more sustainable :) Thanks for all the great feedback xx 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Only in NZ would ppl think of a company like Ethique as ‘big business’ .

theyre a start-up who have achieved a bit of success because they formulate, market and interact extremely well..... but they’re not a big business. I’d liken them to a craft brewery or boutique coffee roasters etc.... small, well cared for, with a human touch and quality product

I religiously buy my holy grail Cleanser from them and l I love that I can buy it in stores now - makes the whole thing easier, I don’t love online shopping 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Agreed. I’d call them a successful, growing business rather than a big business. It’s great to see all their hard work pay off with a growing international market. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I agree Soozie those shampoo and conditioner bars if stored properly last ages. I only need to buy shampoo once a year like every 8-10 months and the conditioner actually outlasts the shampoo and up until I chopped my hair a month ago I had hip length hair so I used plenty of conditioner. 
EliseMM
120 posts
I highly recommend Wellington Apothecary shampoo bars. I have very sensitive scalp, and their Shampoo Smoothie worked so well that I will certainly be repurchasing. It lasted a super long time. The only down side is that although it is great on my scalp, it does strip the hair quite a bit, so might not work on coloured hair.
Jessicaparkin
13 posts
I find really good shampoo bars in common sense organic. They seem to have different ones from local suppliers. I like supporting the little guy! Also the block dock do great shampoo bars.