Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

why so expensive?

71 posts, 25 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
Thanks Guru Nat x

Neither candle i have atm appears to be soy (ones Aura, the other Maraca from the vault)

I might look more into that one one day x
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Thanks Nat, thats good to know! 
First Lady
957 posts
I think whether the soy beans are ethically sourced plays a huge part in price (in the quality of the final product I don't know) 

I know my soy tealights for the burner last much longer than the cheap paraffin and the bottom of the burner doesn't get soot mark-y, but as for scented soys, I think like anything, it varies hugely.  

Looking at my candles I have 3 from one brand that I'm not wowed by (and won't buy again) they were around the $30-35 mark for a 40 hour burn, but the fragrance power is seriously lacking.  So I think the essential oils / fragrances used is as much a factor as anything else. 

Glasshouse Tahaa is my ultimate favourite candle and I'd probably say Glasshouse wins for me in terms of value for money.  I reckon you get easy 60 hours burn, as well as the fact you only have to take the lid off for a fragrance boost, so $1 an hour I can live with. 

xox 
And....I'm browsing candles now.  Ooops.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Get Aroma Addiction soy melts. The ones I got in the vault? I want to swim in the smell. I think tomorrow will be the last day I can get a decent smell out of the first cube I started melting, 5 days ago! I've had some that smell amazing for a day, then the next they're gone. And these ones claim 10 hours of smell time, I've gotten 16 hours at least. Out of ONE cube. That's mind blowingly amazing. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
See 50-60 hours burn time @a couple hours a night is a month so thats not too bad at all. My problem is that i *always* have a candle burning..... which gets expensive. Then again, they relax me...
First Lady
957 posts
Shaz - the Candle Crush melts were like that, insane, I'd have one in the burner nightly for a week!  The day they bring them back, I am buying ALL OF THE MELTS!  Those AA ones you could smell through the box! 

Ha Trudi, I'm the same, my evenings are candles! But (don't judge me!) I have about 12 jars on the go, and rotate with melts and oils in the burner too, which probably convinces me my candles live forever. 

So there, that's the tip for a candle addiction, feed it, buy all the candles and then burn on a rotation so you think you're getting more bang for your buck hahaha. 

xox    
trudijoy
8375 posts
Nat i'm thinking a makeup no -buy month and also being on a diet might work lol. Any money i have 'leftover' = candle cash :p
First Lady
957 posts
Do it and make me feel less of a candle floozy! I blame Queenie for my candle addiction, ever since she convincely spun them as a beauty product to share her love for Tahaa during Beauty Crew Favourites week. I have not been without that candle since then! xx
trudijoy
8375 posts
I bought a Living Light tealight today lol. Okay. If I have $50 left by payday I'm buying a nice candle. The receipt may be stamped with 'Blame Nat' but I don't need makeup and I wanna lose ten kg so.... this may just help
First Lady
957 posts
Some people say the scent of sweet things takes off the craving edge, so if sweets are your weakness then the candle is essential weightloss tool.  (Take that Fitbit)

If only they made carb smelling candles, I'd be sorted!

xox
trudijoy
8375 posts
Crunchy and savoury are my weak points. Corn chips in particular!
LinF
63 posts
I have just spent the last 15 mins enjoying this thread and in parts killing myself laughing. Now to be serious - can you not buy made in NZ candles - or are they just as expensive?
Does your customs department have a listing so the public can check as to what the import duty is as we do here?
I agree with Janini9 - greed is probably the main factor. We are extremely lucky here in the UK, very large population and lots of manufacturers/importers/sellers or cosmetics, furniture, software, etc., so we can pick and choose. You have a beautiful country but a smaller population - supply and demand.
chikoboo
3402 posts
I have those Scentsy burners but I do miss the look and warmth that onyl a candle can provide, same with melts I have a couple of burners but I always seem to forget about them.  Just another thing I swap and change with I guess.  Sat here at work now with PA website open, my finger hooving over the buy now button, no BR is so bad for my bank balance.  Thankfully my ebates return is due in today so I can spend without the guilt tomorrow, wish there was something like that in NZ where you get cash back on your online shopping.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Hehehe Nat the idea that smelling something sweet can curb cravings, I think my brain missed that wiring part.  Everytime I use my Too Faced chocolate bar palette or light a chocolate scented candle I am rummaging through the recesses of the pantry just hoping to score even a few chocolate chips (healthy lifestyle has me with little or no yummy things in the house...boo!)
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Ugh yes candles are so overpriced. Literally burning money. Doesn't stop me buying them though.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Haha Nat, the smell of AA in their plastic cage is nothing compared to them in their melty delicious state. I was actually disappointed with the smell of them in the case, and I assumed that the melted smell would be the same. I've never been more happy to be wrong. It's 10395r7x better. And as Fiance tells me 'assumption is the mother of all stuff ups!'. And I have more coming >:D 
shazatron101
5112 posts
I got the newest additions to my soy melt collection just now - hoooollly batman. I got Candy Shop, Sherbert Fizz, a shot pot of cinnamon and orange peel and a free sample pot of the champagne and strawberries. AAAHHHHHHHHH. my drools are on the floor, they smell so freakin' good.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I've been burning the living light ones. Heck they smell amazing. Even with the lid off it fragrances the room
petinar
5 posts
I've become a huge fan of shine bright soy candles (on Facebook ). I have been burning a caramel one for weeks now and even when it's not lit it smells sooooooo good ! Next on the list is White Choc and Macadamia nom nom nom!
Chaotic82
522 posts
I've given up on candles for a little while - mainly because of the price point.  I loved my vanilla ecoya, but watching it disappear made me sad hehe.   
I made my own melts for awhile, but for now I'm just using my Scentsy (I like the great scents and the safety aspect)  I still have the stuff to make my own melts and am tossing up whether to keep on with Scentsy or make my own again.   I have an accident prone two year old though...can just imagine him setting the house on fire :(   lol
I dont get it either, I make my own soy coloured with essestional oils with nice jars for max and i mean max of $5 so ones for $50plus is beyond what i can understand

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!