Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Which Beauty Items Across The Board Have You Found Budget Brands Have the Same Quality As the High End Brands?

25 posts, 9 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
     I'll admit I'm a bit of a brandie. I'm a bit picky about which brands I buy. Sometimes I'm ooohing and eyeing over a lippy shade or beautiful blush when it's a high end brand but might walk past the exact same shades at the stands selling drugstore brands. All though often you get what you pay for if you want a long lasting, smooth, colored pout in that pretty my lips but better shade you're going to have to make decent dent in your wallet. 

But there are some exceptions to the rule where it doesn't matter if you spent 45 bucks or just 10 the quality for the same item is the same across all brands. And it's very obvious that if you choose to go for the high end item, you are essentially paying for the brand to slap their logo and name on it.

One such item I have found that with is spoolie brushes. I own a spoolie/angled brow brush that costs $25 (thank you BR vault from a few years it remains one of my favourite brow brushes) and I have several cheap spoolie brushes that I scored off Beautybliss for just $5, because the handle was mislabeled. I haven't found the spoolie side of my more expensive brush duo more effective than my cheap $5 spoolies. 

So what other beauty products have you come across that it doesn't matter whether you fork over big bucks or use pocket change the quality is guaranteed to be the same?
Macs
5351 posts
That’s exactly what I need. I had an eye of horus spoolie brush that I’ve missed placed. I’m on the hunt for a new one. 

My colorpop pressed  eye shadows I really love them at the moment. More than my Too Faced Chocolate Bar pallette. 
Toni-Lee
503 posts
I loved using the ABH brow wiz but couldn't justify the price each time I needed a new one so I found an eyebrow pencil that works just as good, it's the L.A girl shady slim pencil. I use the shade medium brown and its the perfect formula, not too creamy and not drying but I did find the shade soft brown a bit drying and light in colour. So that's my new go to now :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
- Kmart hair masks $2
- essence powder, brow mascara, nail polish all around $3-$6
- skinfood cleanser, scrub, spf, moisturiser etc all $10-$15
- soap and Glory hand cream and sanitiser $4 each
- lip balm doesn’t need to be expensive 

trudijoy
8375 posts
Oh and face wipes. I don’t use them for cleansing so the Kmart $1.50 ones, Pam’s $3 ones or baby wipes are fine 
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I should add natural cream cleansers to the list. Generally I haven't found a huge difference in performance between the ones I've spent 15 to around 20 bucks on and ones that are priced at 50 bucks a tube or more.

The only two exceptions I've found have been the Trilogy Enzyme Cleanser which actually helps smoothes your skin out over time and the Living Nature Vitalizing Cleanser which puts moisture back in your skin. If you want to splurge on a natural cream cleanser make it one of those two. 
Artemis
311 posts
Essence mascara and liquid eye liner pen are fantastic and are around $6
trudijoy
8375 posts
Ooh Artemis my hg liquid eyeliner is hard to get in nz, I might have to try the essence one
trudijoy
8375 posts
Oil cleanser. I use the Simple one which is under $15 but just as good as the others I’ve tried (MAC and Body Shop liquids, Clinique balm) and way better than the much pricier Trilogy solid oil cleanser(for me)
Toni-Lee
503 posts
Oh wow where can you buy the simple cleansing oil? I would love to try it.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I get mine in Farmers Toni-Lee x
Toni-Lee
503 posts
Thanks Trudi. I quickly had a look at the farmers site and its $11.99 :) will definitely give it a try.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Let me know what you think Toni-Lee... I was quite surprised with a) how good it is and b) how far the smallish bottle actually goes
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I know alot of people are going to disagree with me and it's possible I haven't tried all the brands out there but...lip balms. I've used the spensy Living Nature lip hydrator that's around 40 bucks and I've used the much cheaper Hurraw!, Ecostore and a Blistex lipbalm and they have done the job of moisturizing and hydrating my lips just as well.

So long as you don't go for a really waxy chapstick that just sits on top of your lips most natural lip balms perform about the same. But then that could be just personal preference I like a lip balm that has a bit of oil that soaks in and hydrates my lips. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I have to agree re lip balms. I like the Sierra Bees ones from iherb which you can often pick up on trial price or even free. I'm also reluctant to spend a lot on cleansers with them being something you wash off, rather than have expensive ingredients sitting on or absorbed by your skin. And it doesn't matter how expensive it is, if it's got SLS in it, my skin will hate it. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yup like I said up the thread lip balm def doesn’t need to be expensive to be good. I currently have a few in the go - a Mailelani one I got in Samoa, a crazy rumours one that was $1 in the cotton On outlet, a gorgeous one I got at a craft market in Hawaii, and a Mecca one. The Mecca’s the most expensive (was free but still) but the least good imo
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I like the Mecca lip balm but I don't think I would pay that much for it. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Soozie yeah as far as Mecca goes the Frank ones far better and costs less:)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I'd like to try the Frank ones one day. If I ever run out of lip balm (probably never lol)
Sophia
203 posts
Essence mascaras
Wet n Wild small angled eye liner brush
ELF acne gel in a roller ball dispenser
ELF Matte eyeshadow palette
CoverGirl The Goldens eyeshadow palette

My favourite cheapie stuff that's as good or better than expensive stuff!
Sophia
203 posts
Blistex lip conditioner in a pot fixes all lip issues and cuticles too!
Nivea hydro care in blue tube also very good for day to day hydration. I'm chucking Burt's bees to return to it. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
I love that ELF acne roller ball, my only go to acne/pimple product I have.
Julieal
915 posts
I have bought a few face masks at the chemist for $3 and they have been really nice for a pick me up.
trudijoy
8375 posts
also kmart eye masks. I bought a couple to try as they're only $3 for two SETS. Usually I get them in places like Sephora ($5/6 a set) or Mecca ($8 a set) - and these kmart ones are pretty good, actually!
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Actually for anyone interested in eye masks you should try those K-beauty pots of gel eye maks they're cheaper to buy than the individual sets of eye masks. I had this one I used to use but then I got an unrelated rash where the silicone nosepad on my glasses is and since these weren't the most relaxing and the area was sensitive I gave this to my sister. Who was thrilled because it helped to lighten her undereye circles.

If you're skin is a bit sensitive I wouldn't recommend this but if not it really does brighten your undereye area and hydrate it. You just have to keep the lid screwed on tight after each use so the remaining patches don't dry out. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!