Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

PPD free hair colour

20 posts, 6 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
some of you might remember a few months back that I had a bad reaction to what I thought at the time was fake tan. Turns out it was hair dye, and the research i've done points to it being a PPD reaction worsened by exposure to temporary henna tattoos.

Unfortunately this probably means no more mehndi for me, which makes me super sad. i HAVE though started looking into PPD free hair colour, and bought a permanent and semi permanent to try out and see how I go. They're not toooooo badly priced, but I'll play with a few options, I'm sure.

Is anyone else dealing with PPD allergies and has found a good alternative? Henna is not an option.

Also, letting my hair grow out is not an option. I'm completely grey/white and while I'm not at all opposed to that being my hair colour, my hair is mid back length and i AM opposed to spending years with terrible regrowth getting it to that stage lol
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Just interested what the PPD ones you've found are? I might have to go down that road myself eventually. I'm not sure if red dyes contain as much PPD though? (I should really research this too)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Whoops - impatient me on too slow to post laptop!
Imoshen
461 posts
When you say Henna, do you mean Black Henna? 

A while ago I got a black henna temporary tattoo done and about 10 days later I came out in blisters where they had applied it.  I wasn't the only one.  From my research it wasn't henna that was the problem it was what they added to it to make it darker and last longer (this is the PPD).

From what I read, I can never ever dye my hair because of that reaction.

If you are referring to Black Henna then maybe normal henna might be ok but if you do have a reaction to normal henna, I really do hope that you can find something to use on your hair without having a reaction :(.

trudijoy
8375 posts
NaturVital Soozie - I have a permanent and a semi at home to try, they arrived next-day delivery.

I'll keep you posted!

Imoshen - I've had multiple brown henna applications and a couple of black henna ones - I've never reacted but apparently black henna has the highest concentration of PPD of any product. I've never reacted to either but because henna stays on your skin a week i don't want to risk it, as much as i adore it. Even the brown feels like playing with fire.

I could use hair henna I think but i don't want to muck about for hours with the messy, smelly stuff. As it is i get 2-3 weeks before i need to redye :(

Soozie the closer to black the higher the amount of PPD as it's a darkening agent. Semi permanents have lower amounts, but sensitivity builds... i used a semi a few times with no reaction and then two weeks ago had a minor reaction where it ran down my face when I was washing it out. That was enough to put me off.
Sophia
203 posts
Trudi, ever tried short hair? You have a pixie face and could carry a textured short style. Might be easier to maintain colour wise too.

trudijoy
8375 posts
I look terrible with short hair tbh. Not really pretty with it long but short just looks hideous. I love having long dark hair, it’s part of my ‘me’
trudijoy
8375 posts
Thank you for the suggestion though :)
Imoshen
461 posts
A while ago they used to do colour shampoo's.  I doubt this would be something that would work for you but it may be worth a look into?

Being allergic to henna won't be fun if there aren't any other alternatives, would you be able to book in to see a dermatologist and see if they can do patch testing to try and narrow down the ingredient that irritates you in it so you know for sure what to look out for?   

I feel for you Trudii, I really hope that you can find something that works for you and makes you happy without putting your health at risk.

If you google PPD free hair dye you come up with some websites that might interest you.
trudijoy
8375 posts
thanks Imoshen - I actually purchased from NaturVital and it arrived yesterday! I patch test EVERYTHING now - i'm fairly sure it's PPD from what i've seen and read online, so i got one of their permanent PPD-free dyes, and one of their semis to try.

I'm kinda hoping that i can get away with the semi washed through the roots and avoid dying the lengths at all, tbh, but we'll see. It's not cheap but it's cheaper than salon so I'll take it, if it works

Thanks for your suggestions x
Julieal
915 posts
I tried a natural dye from a health shop and although more expensive it was really good  as I was having a few allergy problems at the time and was a bit scared to use the usual hair colours at the time
KiwiLass
174 posts
Before I went blonde (which I don't react to when getting foils) I ordered ppd-free hair dye from Healthbank in NZ, as Ialways broke out in a rash when using any other hair dye. Not so the one from Healthbank (which worked well).
Imoshen
461 posts
Oh cool!  Keep us posted on how you get on with it.  I'm really curious to see how it compares.

I also really hope it works for you.
trudijoy
8375 posts
experiments in dye...

This one was terrible - hair felt nice after but roots were very very yellow, and I needed to dye over them. Contacted the company who were basically like 'eh noone else had problems'....dumb.  The shade I used has vanished off the site though so maybe its NOT just me.....

Used this one yesterday after a decent patch test or two with no reaction.  Scalp went a LITTLE itchy, more from being plastered in goop than anything else I think.  No reaction and the colour looks pretty good - pic on the wall.  Would prefer a couple shades darker but it's the darkest they have without it being black. 

Will be rebuying the permanent one.

Also grabbed a Clairol root spray when neither the L'Oreal or Schwarzkopf ones were available, and it doesn't wash out as easily as the others so i might be switching to that too
KiwiLass
174 posts
I had almost a decade of needing PPD-free dye, due to having an allergic reaction, and tried, many, many different dyes.....the best one was when I lived in the US, but can't get it here, and the best NZ one I used was this .
trudijoy
8375 posts
ooh that's cheaper and better shades, I might try that, thanks! :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
update - they finally replied re the semi permanent and the batch is defective, so they've offered me cash back or  store credit.  Good service - eventually. 
Julieal
915 posts
Good on you Trudi for letting them know -Too many people just let bad things happen -Good result
trudijoy
8375 posts
Thanks Julie. I spent too many years letting things slide. These days I pick my battles, but I know what’s not acceptable and I point it out. I also praise people because fair is fair - if you are happy to complain you need to be happy to compliment 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Kiwilass I tried that one (aromaganic from healthbank) and so far I really like it.... will see how it lasts but we might have a winner!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!