Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

11 posts, 7 members
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Happy Sunday everyone xx

I'm wondering if anyone has gone through a significant amount of hair loss either recently or in the past and found either a supplement or a hair treatment that has improved this?

I've lost a significant amount of hair, to the point where I can actually feel my head. That might sound strange but for someone that has extremely thick hair, I could never feel the back of my head because of the large mop I had ha ha ha.

My thyroid levels are fine (I have congenital hypothyroidism), I'm taking a magnesium supplement as well as fish oil, changed my hair care range a couple of times and nothing seems to be working. I feel fine in myself, maybe just a wee bit tired but I'm taking an iron supplement for that.

I'm not one for rushing to a doctor everytime something out of the norm comes up as usually it goes away.

Am I still lacking in something or is it perhaps time to put my big girl panties on and go see the doctor? Apart from the hair loss I feel fine so I haven't felt the need to see one? Thoughts or ideas on this would be great before I go stir crazy lol.
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
Have you changed your diet or under a lot of stress etc? I have very thin hair, probably due to having polycystic overy syndrome. But I started losing heaps of hair about 18 months ago when I changed to a keto diet (very low carb). I tried all sorts of things and after 4-6 months it started to come back but it was never going to be good as I hate my hair regardless. The last 2 months I seem to be losing it again. I tried supplements from chemist and I used Zenegen shampoo and conditioner. I also gave Jenoura collegen a go for 2 months but too expensive. I also have a spray in treatment from Bondi Boost. It's hard to know if anything helped as it may have been coincidence. Ive run out of pills and shampoo but will go back to using the spray I think.

I tend to just wear wigs when I go out now cause iim a bit self conscious of my hair ... Although I'm sure it's not as bad as I think it is

AboutFace
413 posts
If it was me I'd be going to the doctor even perhaps seeing a naturopath also. Stress or a sudden shock can cause hair loss, a change in diet maybe but if it's quite a significant amount and sudden a trip to the doctor would be your best bet as you may need tests.

The only hairloss I've gone through is due to hormones after childbirth which is normal.

All the best Mumof3

Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I know you eat keto mumof3....how is your protein intake? I would definitely recommend adding more protein if you can.
MareeB
5244 posts
My hair loss was my thyroid Mumof three. Maybe its some other hormonal issue though? definitely worth a GP check I'd say :) although I totally appreciate your reluctance to go to the Dr, it's something I'm also very poor at and almost lost my life. If it weren't for my hairdresser convincing me to go I probably wouldn't be here writing this post.
Tattooprincess
68 posts
I was a passenger in a serious car accident in January this year, amongst the injuries, I am now experiencing PTSD. I noticed about a month after the accident, that the amount of hair I was losing was often 4 times what I'd normally lose when brushing in the morning, and the hair fall throughout the day doubled that amount of loss again. I had a small bald patch in the front hairline, as I had a laceration, that was glued rather than stitched. That has since started growing back.

prior to the accident, I had been taking for up to one year beforehand, daily, fish oil, biotin and collagen supplements - trying to repair my hair skin and nails. My very fine and damaged hair had started growing, and still is, with less breakage (had also been using olaplex). After talking to a couple of hairdressers, and a blood test, it's been put down to stress causing the hair loss. I've continued with the supplements, but just purchased some Nioxin shampoo conditioner and scalp treatment at the suggestion of the hair dressers. I've only used it once, so yet to see any results.

my hair is "my thing" I'm known as the lady with purple hair - brightly coloured,mainly purple, but with turquoise red and yellow, sometimes a green (think mermaid hair),and every time I wash it, I fear it all falling out and having to wear a hat. In the last month, I seem to go 3-4 days noticing very little loss, then bam, 2-3 days of a whole lot more than seems normal. I'm hoping the days with little loss become more frequent!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@Tattooprincess, I'm sorry to hear that.  I tried Nioxin shampoo for hair loss a few years back, and it definitely helped me.  Another one I considered using was the Alpecin caffeine shampoo for men, although my hair fall decreased with the Nioxin, and then I switched to using solid bar shampoos (the Nioxin was too expensive for me to keep using).  My fair fall on solid shampoo bars is no where near as bad as with store bought liquid shampoos. 
Tattooprincess
68 posts
Thanks Silvene. How long did you use the Nioxin for? i usually only wash my hair on Sundays, to lengthen the life of my colour, but I'm thinking I may increase the frequency to get a quicker result from the Nioxin.

i did buy it from a local hairdresser (her family are very old family friends) $130-odd for shampoo/conditioner (300ml each) and a treatment (150ml maybe). Expensive, and I always use salon products - they're definitely better for my hair and help keep the vibrant colours fresh that I use, but I usually purchase online. I could have got the same set for $55 + courier, or a 1litre bottle of both shampoo and conditioner for $90, but off the back of lockdown, I wanted to support my friend. If the Nioxin works, I will probably buy the larger bottles online, and maybe just splurge at my friends salon for the treatment. I much prefer to shop locally, but when I'm making savings in the 10's of dollars, it's hard not to go elsewhere and buy online. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I wash my hair 2-3 times a week, and used the Nioxin until I'd finished the bottle.  A bottle of shampoo usually lasts me 3-6 months (depending on the size of the bottle - I can't remember exactly how long the Nioxin lasted).  My hair is very fine and isn't very long (just above my shoulders) so I don't need to use too much product to get it to lather nicely. 
AboutFace
413 posts
Sorry to hear that you were in an accident that must have been very scary Tattoo princess all the best for your recovery :-)
Tattooprincess
68 posts
Thanks AboutFace. Yeah, has been a tough year, but we are still alive, recovery just slow!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!