Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Buy Perfume Online or Instore?

27 posts, 15 members
tabucutie
1811 posts
Hi all, I am doing an intense perfume search atm and am just wondering where you shop for the best price perfumes? The one I think most of is the Chemist Warehouse (though they do not have a NZ site which is a hindurance). Would love feedback, recommendations or experience! Hope you are having a chill and relax Sunday x
Head Pixie
569 posts
Hi all,

Just a reminder that the forum is to be kept Parallel Importer-free. If we see a post featuring a Parallel Importer we'll take it down.

Thanks! (Now back to making pizza dough for dinner) :) X
Macs
5351 posts
Where are you in nz? Subscribe to the CS Factory email they have weekly perfume deals going all the time . Their having a big factory sale coming up soon . I’ve been to one before and it’s really good . I go to Chemist Warehouse for foundation and perfume all the time way cheaper . Even those Garnier banana deep conditioning treatment is in there cheaper than supermarket. 
Kimrose
1419 posts
Macs, I work at the St.Lukes Chemist Warehouse, say Hi if you are in, though you may go to the Manakau store, I think that one is closer to you
trudijoy
8375 posts
i'm no real help coz i've been buying mine overseas for so long (obsessed with Victoria's Secret) but the last few times I've bought perfume in NZ i've opted for body shop or pure fiji... some of the prices at Life Pharmacy on sale look okay to me though, and of course with My Chemist Warehouse we now have that option finally.
Julieal
915 posts
Be careful on line as often they are not the realdeal -Cheap is sometimes not same -Chemist Warehouse seems awesome and also Farmer's often have good specials
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I'm not much help either as I have fallen in love with a couple of perfumes at Mecca. I buy them in the roller ball size but I would love the full size bottle of a couple of them
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I haven't bought perfume for a really long time because I'm trying to use up what I have. But I'm picky about fragrance so I need to smell it before I want to buy it. I like small bottles because it allows you to try more fragrances so I often go for minis. I've bought some of the fragrances I have second hand off facebook pages. Smellycat is also where I've bought some of them in the past. 

I also recommend waiting till Farmers or Life Pharmacy has a good sale to buy. I have pretty expensive tastes like YSL and DKNY so I'm willing to wait till the smaller bottles are more affordable. 

Macs
5351 posts
I haven’t been out to St Lukes for a while Kim . If I go out there I will pop in to say Hi .

Have been to Botany and Manukau Chemist Warehouse a few times .
tabucutie
1811 posts
Hi Macs, I hadn't thought of that  place and haven't been there in years. I have seen the sale event that is next week but I will be on my birthday getaway so will miss it unfortunately.
MareeB
5244 posts
All this talk of perfumes is making me twitchy! I saw some packs of minis in the Farmers brochure -so tempting.. but I have too many already...
tabucutie
1811 posts
Minis are so cute though. I legit have only 3 perfumes but I want to explore perfumes more, look  forward to them arriving in the post. Still want to go in store shopping but have managed to stop it for now.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I love minis! I prefer to physically smell them so farmers or the chemist is where i usually go. The body shop has some nice ones, I also like the Lush solid perfumes.  Keep an eye out for sales especially with xmas coming up :-)
lisaflow
9 posts
I bought Moschino Hippy Fizz perfume online once... My friend had the same and I liked it a lot. But when I opened the box with my purchase the scent was not as I wanted. After that I prefer buying perfumes in shops.
tabucutie
1811 posts
There are sales left, right and centre at the moment. Surprisingly I have not bought much which is a good thing really. Still look forward to receiving and trying new scents. I hope I like them.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I think the fragrance sampler sets like this are a great way to go if you don't know what you want because you get all these minis and if you break down the cost per mini it's pretty good value plus you get a 25ml-30ml bottle of your choice of fragrance for free. 
MareeB
5244 posts
I REALLY want that set Tannygirl!
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I love getting perfume minis and rollerballs. So much easier to justify lots of different fragrances (not that it stops me from getting full size if I can't get a mini).

I like to buy in store if I can. I always worry about the perfume breaking in transit.
tabucutie
1811 posts
@tannygirl that is awesome i didn't know that existed. It's my birthday next week I think I might get my husband to get this for my birthday present.
Sussy
5 posts
I know what perfume I like, so I order them online. I buy new perfumes only in the store.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Since starting this thread. I will buy my solid favourites I know and love online or instore whichever is cheaper. I have found that I am a fan of sample size scents to trial and see whether I like these before buying the full size.
tannygirl
3392 posts
     I'm definitely a buy instore type of girl because that way I know it's authetic and I get to sniff it and try it out on me before I buy it. There are so many perfume note descriptions that make it sound like something I'd be really into but then when I try it or smell it, it just doesn't quite smell as good as I thought.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    Oh one exception to that is Smellycat. I've ordered from them a couple times and the perfume I got was authetic plus they had minis for a low price a couple years back and that was my thing so I did order from them. I think they are a bit cheaper than other retailers as well.
Missyshilo
12 posts
Both
Lisaanne
72 posts
My dirty little secret is my lifelong perfume addiction, it literally started when I was 5 yrs old so I'm always researching the best way to get the perfumes I want at the best prices and this is what I do. Firstly I don't buy in NZ stores as their mark ups are crazy, but if I'm considering buy a new perfume I will go on store and test it first as I've had a very blind buy perfume disasters in the past. The 3 best sites in NZ I have found are ... smellycat, theperfumebar and perfumenz. The last of those 3 has the biggest selection of perfumes from around the world and the best prices in NZ with quick overnight delivery.

MareeB
5244 posts
I've bought a few from smellycat a while ago and found it very easy. I only have 1 1/2 bottles on hand so I'm keen to buy the Lancome mini set that has Poeme in it.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Hi @Lisanne! I've seen a lot of your reviews and enjoyed reading them. You definitely seem in the know. I purchased off...perfumenz recently and was really pleased with the experience and will purchase from them again in future.

I perfume samples of perfume but have not really found a place that does that. Scent is one of those things you don't just purchase a full size of. If im gonna spend big bucks I want to love and adore it.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!