Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Blonde/grey haired ladies - a question

22 posts, 8 members
trudijoy
REVIEW EXPERT
6778 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
as I mentioned a couple weeks ago I'm intentionally growing out my natural hair, which thanks to my thyroid condition, genetics and a couple other factors is no longer colours - more of a silvery white.

I'm experimenting with shampoos and conditioners atm to make it really pop.  So far I really like John Frieda Sheer Blonde.  I've tried the Essano purple shampoo and conditioners, and the Fudge purple conditioner, but I don't love the scents of them.  I've used Lush Daddy-O in the past for dark hair but it's especially good for light, apparently, so might try that. I also used their Marilyn conditioner when I had my black to gold balayage in a few years back, so that's another option, perhaps. 

But first... what have you tried that really makes pale hair shine as if illuminated?  Now that i'm not colouring it i want it BLINDING.
Lisaanne
REVIEW EXPERT
60 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
I'm following this with interest! I'm on the search for a great purple shampoo. The best I've tried so far is the Fanola range but it is strong! Like really strong. And my blonde dyed hair grabs it and I end up with purple streaks. The other brands I have tried (Loreal, Essano, Fudge) have just dried my hair out and made it crunchy and dry without helping with toning at all. 

I'm considering trying Fanola again and adding some to my normal shampoo to dilute it a bit. 

First world problems! 
MareeB
REVIEW EXPERT
3869 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
Lisaanne I use a range of products but one that doesn't dry my hair is Brilliant Silver White hair toner. I got it as a trial for BR so it is in the brand directory. You can look it up/purchase it on hairproductsonline.co.nz.
MareeB
REVIEW EXPERT
3869 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
There's also a strawberry blonde one but I didn't have much success with it.
itsclearascrystal
REVIEW EXPERT
1769 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
When I was blonde Brilliant Silver White was the best thing I came across too. It would actually turn my hair light purple then leave it a whiter blonde.
lilmonmon
REVIEW EXPERT
99 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
Schwarzkopf in their temporary hair dye range do a white blonde that really acts like a toner, (and is less drying than purple shampoo), I also liked their metallic rose gold temporary dye, adds a shimmer to the hair so it's quite illuminating.

For other's asking about purple shampoo, I've found the Pro:Voke brand works well without being as drying as Fudge or staining the hair purple. Hask do a blue shampoo and conditioner for blondes that tones well, and as it's blue it doesn't stain the hair at all, and has a really nice natural smell.

I really liked Fudge and essano for toning, but found them drying and that they stain the hair a bit. Tried the Lee Stafford purple shampoo's and found them quite useless.
trudijoy
REVIEW EXPERT
6778 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
I can't use dye at all monmon, only spray dye very occasionally.

crystsl that sounds great! My hair is really white so should behave similarly 
siouxsannah
REVIEW EXPERT
155 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
I second Brilliant Silver White & Pro:voke.
trudijoy
REVIEW EXPERT
6778 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
And where does one find these products btw - salon? Chemist warehouse? 
Lisaanne
REVIEW EXPERT
60 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
Hairproductsonline has nearly everything available in nz. 
Lisaanne
REVIEW EXPERT
60 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
I've been to my salon this morning and I'm taking a different tack. I have bought the Fudge Clean Blonde Violet Tri-blo which is a purple toning and brightening spray you spray into wet hair and leave in and then dry as usual. 

I remembered years ago I had a purple spray and found it more efficient than the shampoos, as you leave it all in and you can target it exactly onto the areas you want covered. So I'll see how this Fudge spray works. I find the top of my hair and either side of my part is the first areas to go brassy and lose their POP so I'll target those areas first. It was $28 for a 150ml spray bottle. 
Lisaanne
REVIEW EXPERT
60 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
This is what the bottle says on the back....

Fudge Clean Blonde Violet Tri-blo:

Instantly knocks out brassy, yellow tones in 1 use for hair that's blonder than blonde! Invisi-shield technology plus professional strength violet micro-pigment defends against 235°C heat to improve cuticle health resulting in hair that's brighter, blonder and stronger. With triple action styling polymers that polish dry damaged hair delivering weightless hold and masses of shine.

Sounds amazing! 

trudijoy
REVIEW EXPERT
6778 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
Ooh I like the sound of a spray! 
Lisaanne
REVIEW EXPERT
60 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
Me too Trudi, because then I can target the areas I want, my roots get brassy long before my ends do, so when I use a violet shampoo my white ends turn out purple! By using a spray i can just cover the roots and hairline area etc.
trudijoy
REVIEW EXPERT
6778 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
My white hair is only roots atm, from about 3 inches out it's still dark. So it's like I need 2-3 diff things in one right now so the spray sounds like an excellent compromise! Brassy won't be an issue for me I just want the white as bright as poss not dull 
siouxsannah
REVIEW EXPERT
155 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
I am not sure about Brilliant Silver White, as I got it on trial. But I have seen Pro:Voke for sale at large New Worlds, and at Bargain Chemist. That was Bargain Chemist in Wellington though, so I am not sure if you have them in Auckland. 
Another option for spray is Schwarzkopf Nordic Blonde anti-yellow spray. It's purple, and you can get it from supermarkets. 
I avoid the ends of my lightened hair becoming purple by double-cleasning my hair. I wash it first with a normal shampoo, and while it is still lathery from that, I then add the purple shampoo. Stops your hair from drying out as mush as well. 
Lisaanne
REVIEW EXPERT
60 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
Good advice soux, some of the purple shampoos strip every bit of moisture out of your hair. The worst I tried was the Essano one....my hair was so dry after one use it become stiff and hard and could literally snap off, hideous product! 
itsclearascrystal
REVIEW EXPERT
1769 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
It seems to be Bargain Chemist in Wellington and Chemist Warehouse in Auckland. But having been a regular shopper at both, they seem to stock much the same things and are laid out the same way.

To earlier comments, I also found Lee Stafford purple shampoo useless and like the sound of that spray.
Johanna
REVIEW EXPERT
35 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
For getting rid of brassyness in blondes or silvers I have tried the following; 
fudge
L'Oréal 
Steiner
bistow or bistows
Juice
All are purple based the bistows one is the cheapest you can get from uncle bills. Steiner is at the pharmacy. L'Oréal and bistow have a nice scent. You could go for a blue shampoo instead of purple
MissDilly
REVIEW EXPERT
78 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
I love Brilliant Silver White - much nicer than the shampoos and doesn't leave my hair dry and frizzy. I bought it at Hair products online. The Silver rose looks lovely too, but I use it to counter my ginger hair more than deal to greys, so imagine that silver rose on my hair would bring back the ginger, or maybe it would make it a pretty pink??  The brilliant silver white lasts forever - I mix it up into a spray bottle, and use it before blow drying my hair. I have short hair, so their suggested method wouldn't work for me :)
siouxsannah
REVIEW EXPERT
155 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
Thanks Lisaanne. Miss Dilly, that is a brilliant hack for using Brilliant Silver White, as one problem I have with it is that it is quite messy to use. 
MareeB
REVIEW EXPERT
3869 posts
REVIEW EXPERT
I have .. erm .. a yogurt pottle (1kg) and I half fill it with water, drop in a few drops of brilliant silver white, then pour slowly through my hair. When my hair was long it would pick up a bit of blue. Strangers would stop me and comment!!!

CHAT TO WIN!

Every forum post you make is an entry in the weekly draw to win a Remington Curl and Straight worth $249.99.

We're giving one away every week for the next three weeks!

Winner announced every Monday morning!

Click Here to Chat!