Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Blonde/grey haired ladies - a question

31 posts, 9 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
as I mentioned a couple weeks ago I'm intentionally growing out my natural hair, which thanks to my thyroid condition, genetics and a couple other factors is no longer colours - more of a silvery white.

I'm experimenting with shampoos and conditioners atm to make it really pop.  So far I really like John Frieda Sheer Blonde.  I've tried the Essano purple shampoo and conditioners, and the Fudge purple conditioner, but I don't love the scents of them.  I've used Lush Daddy-O in the past for dark hair but it's especially good for light, apparently, so might try that. I also used their Marilyn conditioner when I had my black to gold balayage in a few years back, so that's another option, perhaps. 

But first... what have you tried that really makes pale hair shine as if illuminated?  Now that i'm not colouring it i want it BLINDING.
Lisaanne
72 posts
I'm following this with interest! I'm on the search for a great purple shampoo. The best I've tried so far is the Fanola range but it is strong! Like really strong. And my blonde dyed hair grabs it and I end up with purple streaks. The other brands I have tried (Loreal, Essano, Fudge) have just dried my hair out and made it crunchy and dry without helping with toning at all. 

I'm considering trying Fanola again and adding some to my normal shampoo to dilute it a bit. 

First world problems! 
MareeB
5244 posts
Lisaanne I use a range of products but one that doesn't dry my hair is Brilliant Silver White hair toner. I got it as a trial for BR so it is in the brand directory. You can look it up/purchase it on hairproductsonline.co.nz.
MareeB
5244 posts
There's also a strawberry blonde one but I didn't have much success with it.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
When I was blonde Brilliant Silver White was the best thing I came across too. It would actually turn my hair light purple then leave it a whiter blonde.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I can't use dye at all monmon, only spray dye very occasionally.

crystsl that sounds great! My hair is really white so should behave similarly 
siouxsannah
261 posts
I second Brilliant Silver White & Pro:voke.
trudijoy
8375 posts
And where does one find these products btw - salon? Chemist warehouse? 
Lisaanne
72 posts
Hairproductsonline has nearly everything available in nz. 
Lisaanne
72 posts
I've been to my salon this morning and I'm taking a different tack. I have bought the Fudge Clean Blonde Violet Tri-blo which is a purple toning and brightening spray you spray into wet hair and leave in and then dry as usual. 

I remembered years ago I had a purple spray and found it more efficient than the shampoos, as you leave it all in and you can target it exactly onto the areas you want covered. So I'll see how this Fudge spray works. I find the top of my hair and either side of my part is the first areas to go brassy and lose their POP so I'll target those areas first. It was $28 for a 150ml spray bottle. 
Lisaanne
72 posts
This is what the bottle says on the back....

Fudge Clean Blonde Violet Tri-blo:

Instantly knocks out brassy, yellow tones in 1 use for hair that's blonder than blonde! Invisi-shield technology plus professional strength violet micro-pigment defends against 235°C heat to improve cuticle health resulting in hair that's brighter, blonder and stronger. With triple action styling polymers that polish dry damaged hair delivering weightless hold and masses of shine.

Sounds amazing! 

trudijoy
8375 posts
Ooh I like the sound of a spray! 
Lisaanne
72 posts
Me too Trudi, because then I can target the areas I want, my roots get brassy long before my ends do, so when I use a violet shampoo my white ends turn out purple! By using a spray i can just cover the roots and hairline area etc.
trudijoy
8375 posts
My white hair is only roots atm, from about 3 inches out it's still dark. So it's like I need 2-3 diff things in one right now so the spray sounds like an excellent compromise! Brassy won't be an issue for me I just want the white as bright as poss not dull 
siouxsannah
261 posts
I am not sure about Brilliant Silver White, as I got it on trial. But I have seen Pro:Voke for sale at large New Worlds, and at Bargain Chemist. That was Bargain Chemist in Wellington though, so I am not sure if you have them in Auckland. 
Another option for spray is Schwarzkopf Nordic Blonde anti-yellow spray. It's purple, and you can get it from supermarkets. 
I avoid the ends of my lightened hair becoming purple by double-cleasning my hair. I wash it first with a normal shampoo, and while it is still lathery from that, I then add the purple shampoo. Stops your hair from drying out as mush as well. 
Lisaanne
72 posts
Good advice soux, some of the purple shampoos strip every bit of moisture out of your hair. The worst I tried was the Essano one....my hair was so dry after one use it become stiff and hard and could literally snap off, hideous product! 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
It seems to be Bargain Chemist in Wellington and Chemist Warehouse in Auckland. But having been a regular shopper at both, they seem to stock much the same things and are laid out the same way.

To earlier comments, I also found Lee Stafford purple shampoo useless and like the sound of that spray.
Johanna
38 posts
For getting rid of brassyness in blondes or silvers I have tried the following; 
fudge
L'Oréal 
Steiner
bistow or bistows
Juice
All are purple based the bistows one is the cheapest you can get from uncle bills. Steiner is at the pharmacy. L'Oréal and bistow have a nice scent. You could go for a blue shampoo instead of purple
MissDilly
229 posts
I love Brilliant Silver White - much nicer than the shampoos and doesn't leave my hair dry and frizzy. I bought it at Hair products online. The Silver rose looks lovely too, but I use it to counter my ginger hair more than deal to greys, so imagine that silver rose on my hair would bring back the ginger, or maybe it would make it a pretty pink??  The brilliant silver white lasts forever - I mix it up into a spray bottle, and use it before blow drying my hair. I have short hair, so their suggested method wouldn't work for me :)
siouxsannah
261 posts
Thanks Lisaanne. Miss Dilly, that is a brilliant hack for using Brilliant Silver White, as one problem I have with it is that it is quite messy to use. 
MareeB
5244 posts
I have .. erm .. a yogurt pottle (1kg) and I half fill it with water, drop in a few drops of brilliant silver white, then pour slowly through my hair. When my hair was long it would pick up a bit of blue. Strangers would stop me and comment!!!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Have tried a few things and currently loving:

- the John Frieda sheer blonde range
- fudge clean blonde shampoo (which is different to the fudge one I mentioned above!)

profile pic is today, 7 months and almost a week in to growing it out 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Enjoying where this is atm... 9 month pic on wall. 

I didn't end up changing any of my products bc lockdown but started putting the purple shampoo in dry and leaving it for a bit before washing it out and it's super good
Susilia
484 posts
Looking awesome Trudi, I love how your hair just ombre'd itself! :D 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Thanks! Yeah the browner bits are the semi permanent PPD free dye washing out, the darker bits still have PPD dye and the silvers all me
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Looking great Trudi! Do you find the texture of the grey hair is different at all? Like is it more coarse?
trudijoy
8375 posts
Thanks Lisa!  It's way softer and fluffier than the dyed hair was, because it doesn't have that extra layer soaked in weighing it down and coating it. It also gets less greasy, but gets tangled more easily. I'm having to relearn my hair at the grand old age of 39 lol
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Oh that's good Trudi. I notice that my greys are coarse so that is why I asked :-) 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Latest grey pic on the wall. I've ended up committing to a combo of John Frieda sheer blonde and fudge violet s&c, for now, but will keep experimenting - this shade is me for life now, so....

I did a hair mask overnight for the lengths, and a purple mask this morning, and it's popped the silver nicely! 

Honestly  thought it would have grown out more - I'm at 51 weeks and most of the growth happened in the first 30 or so. I guess we move into the next phase next week! 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
It looks really good Trudi! Do you think you will experiment with any colours? I'm guessing you could use the spray on ones if you felt like something different. Like bright purple! Lol
trudijoy
8375 posts
Thanks Lisa! Yeah I have used sprays a few times, pink and purple for the most part. They're great, and I can't wait to be able to use them to do long colour tipped curls once it all grows out :) 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!