Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

*ATTENTION ALL*

15 posts, 10 members
Laura-Gaylyn
24 posts
Hi there my fellow beauty reviewers, I am after a reliable hair dye that will dye dark brown hair (not drastically dark) and actually show up. A lot of products I know suggest to bleach your hair first but a) I dont know how to and b) it sounds a bit scary and damaging :D I am mainly looking just to dye my tips either a blonde or even experiment with colour. So pretty much I would like to know if you know of a product with a good colour pay off on medium-dark brown hair (;
Thanks so much!!
rayray91
19 posts
Heya, sorry to be the bad news breaker, but colour on colour cannot lighten - you will have to pre lighten it .. Even if you use a blonde colour it wont lift thru artificial colour .. sorry!
rayray91
19 posts
Heya, sorry to be the bad news breaker, but colour on colour cannot lighten - you will have to pre lighten it .. Even if you use a blonde colour it wont lift thru artificial colour .. sorry!
Laura-Gaylyn
24 posts
so even though I have my natural hair colour at the moment I cant dye over it without lightening it? (;
Natella
9 posts
Hi laura
if you want to try and lighten your tips without being to abrasive try this product called SunIn
you basically spray it on lightly damp hair (and you can be specific in the section you want it in) and blow dry. The heat from the blow dryer will activate and it will lighten your hair, you can gradually spray day after day until you get the colour you like. SunIn comes in two types so you can start off slow and work your way to a lighter shade. Otherwise you will have to get those foils or steaks in which can burn your hair to a crisp. Hope this helps. Cheers
Heather
79 posts
That SunIn sounds awesome!! I'd be really keen to try it. Do you know where you can purchase it from and for what price? :)
skingeek
537 posts
I tried something really similar to that called nordic blonde (think it was schwartkopf?). So easy! Just spritz it onto wet hair and either sun on blow dry. As long as there was heat, it worked. It was brilliant. Those kind of products are much gentler than bleaching it in one go
BexxC
55 posts
If you're wanting a big change in colour I'd always recommend getting it done professionally as that way you know its going to be done properly and not end up a huge disaster!  

You could try Sun In but if you want the tips quite light then I'm not sure how well it'll work. I used it when I was younger and had my natural hair colour (blonde) but dont remember it making it very much lighter.. The product is probably a bit different now though! 
BeautyGirl
162 posts
id love to know how much / where you can get that hair stuff from! :D i just got streaks in my hair not that long ago wish i new about that before i did the streaks :(( 
Laura-Gaylyn
24 posts
Thanks everyone this has been very helpful, so lightening my ends with that sun in stuff would that make it easy to then colour the ends with a colour (like pink or something) and have it actually show up ?? (;
kelseyfeisst
115 posts
I remember trying the Nordic blonde one way back when I was 14! It did a great job from what I remember, and I brought it from the warehouse!
Iloveperfumes
132 posts
There's a product you can get from some pharmacies called MYOHD "my own hair dresser' and they make a colour remover. It goes on like a creamy conditioner you leave it on as per directions and it breaks down the colour molecules and you rinse it out. It removed jet black dye from my hair and returned it to a sort of mousy browny blonde shade which I am naturally. It is amazing but a bit pricey but definitely a better alternative to bleaching.
Natella
9 posts
Hi again
SunIn can be purchased from places like Priceline, woolworths, Coles and many leading pharmacies. It comes in the yellow which is to start gradually I think about 1-3 shades lighter and the red bottle which is 3-7 shades lighter. 
I seriously wouldn't bother with the yellow bottle if you really want a dramatic change, the red bottle does the trick. 
Some people have red pigment under their brown hair so when you use, it may go to that redish orange colour but don't frett you keep going over the same spots you started and it will take out the orange reds and turn blonde.. If your impatient like I was I also bought a blonde/purple toner and it will take all that orange out. Don't worry your hair won't go purple unless you keep it in for more than 20 mins. 
For the luckies who have blonde pigment it will blonde in basically 1-2 goes and you won't need a toner. 
I used it for about 8 years and my hair went blonde really blonde with no reds or orange.. Make sure you use a good treatment at least once a week. Any time you strip your hair it will dry out no matter how good the dye or the hairdresser..
If you want a lighter colour in your hair, eg. pastel pinks and purples or lighter brown even, then you have to lighten your hair first. You can get dark purple and red colours that you can put over brown hair that will darken and dye that colour. But anything lighter wont show up unless you first lighten the hair. 
Laura-Gaylyn
24 posts
this has been so helpful thanks everyone!! xx

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!