Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Apply powder BEFORE foundation

64 posts, 39 members
michelleburne
229 posts
I just watched Gossmakeupartist on you tube, he applied powder BEFORE foundation, anyone else tried this? I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.
sarah26
33 posts
I have heard thats how he minimizes large pores. He knows all the tricks! :)
chikoboo
3402 posts
This has been all over my FB feed for the last couple of days, I'm intrigued and when I get a free min to watch I'll check it out.  Be keen to see if it works =)
Manda129
419 posts
Going to try watch be interesting to see if it works on dry skin :)
kirstysays
762 posts
Interesting...might have to give it a go.
kirstysays
762 posts
Interesting...might have to give it a go.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I saw this as well. I'm going to give it a go today - am a little scared I will look cakey but you can always take it off and start over if it looks gross.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Ooh  will have to look. Wonder how it works if your skin is dry
michelleburne
229 posts
Well ive done it, was a little odd, ended up using my fingers to blend foundation in, instead of a brush. I used way less foundation and it sure does stick lol. Pores look less visible, I'lll see how it holds up over the day
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
michelleburne I like the idea you use less foundation but I am not sure I like the idea of applying with your fingers.

Farmers-Wife I have dry skin so am scared to do it but I will give it a go and let you know how I find it. Btw HOT profile pic :D
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
That would be awesome thanks :)

Blushing :) :) Today is the 2nd time I've tried makeup with eyes and new lime crime. Mum seen me and was blown away lol I would like to try and master it :)
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Farmers-Wife Awww that's so awesome!!! Your eyes look gorgeous! What is the Lime Crime lipstick you're wearing? It was made for you.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I tried it and I like how it looks. It took a bit of the redness out of my face which I like. I am stubborn so I used a brush and it worked fine - I stippled rather than blended it though. It'll be interesting to see how it wears throughout the day.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Ouch Farmers-Wife, you smexy little devil =) loving the sultry eye makeup and the red lips.  Its a great look hun keep it up
tannygirl
3392 posts
Yeah I would naturally assume it would turn out cakey. But I will give it a shot. Does anyone have the link to the video? Would you please post it here? Thanks.

That lipstick really suits you Farmers-wife.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Aawwww thanks ladies :) It's the velvet red. I've been watching YouTube to see how it's done. Also have a lovely lady that gives me tips via sending her pics of what I'm doing lol.

Ill try the powder first. Did you have moisturiser on so its dry first before doing the powder? 
emzor
143 posts
I saw that same video and have been applying my powder first ever since!  It lasts ALL day now, I'm not even kidding.
The theory behind it is after moisturiser and primer, lightly applying powder gives you a nice flat base to work with.  AND you use less foundation because your skin already has a light coverage. It definitely works for me.  Products I use are Nivea moisturiser, ELF makeup primer, Maybelline Dream Matte Powder (Wayne suggests using loose powder, but my dream matte works fine), and then Revlon Color-Stay whipped applied with a Real Techniques Miracle Complexion sponge. Give it a go guys!!!
michelleburne
229 posts
Well mines still on, hasnt slid off my oily skin, but I really should have put a powder over the my T zone, got a bit of a sheen happening. Great coverage though, think I'll keep it up :)
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Farmers-wife, loving your profile pic hun, you look gorgeous.  What are you wearing, you're eyes are popping girl.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Wow, that sounds really intriguing.  I love Wayne Goss, he's amazeballs, he is the one that got me on to the techniques brushes and how to blend.  He's a legend.  Will have to give anything a go that he recommends.  Will give it a try tomorrow and let you all know what I thought.
michelleburne
229 posts
I'm hoping this link works here we go  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyQsVyGadbY  
michelleburne
229 posts
Wouldnt let me cut and paste the link sorry girls.....or I have no clue what I'm doing :-)
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I'm shocked, but thankful of your comments. I've read all your feedback to farmer hubby so now he can understand my wanting to learn more :) 

Im wearing body shop shimmer cubes eye shadow (honeycomb, marshmallow, dark chocolate & choc chip) I used the NYX Jumbo eye pencil milk on the inner corners.
Maybeline great lash mascara & lime crime velvetine red velvet. Revlon age defying foundation. Totally forgot to use the powder & blush cause I'm still learning.

Now to watch how to powder first.

HouseOdBanana
350 posts
I saw this video, and I must say I was not convince. I did give it ago but I just couldnt make it work at all!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Here you go hun, this might work.  Click the word here, and it will take you to the youtube video you were wanting to show us.
Bird
231 posts
Wow Farmers-Wife, you look stunning!
michelleburne
229 posts
Better watch out farmers wife!! Farmer Husband might not let you off the farm lol :)
beautybee
12 posts
That sounds really interesting , i might try it and see if my foundation lasts longer :)
Mila
1209 posts
i might have to give this a go....i like to give new things a go from here, i would never have reversed wash or used coconut oil !.

my skin is quite dry so im hoping it doesnt make it worse but cant hurt to see what happens...a little bit excited
colleencanary
764 posts
I was watching this tutorial last night and the foundation really did seem flawless. I love how people with oily skin should especially be doing this routine. I'll definitely be trying this when a use a fluid foundation.
michelleburne
229 posts
You need to be really careful when putting the powder on, just put it on LIGHTLY. I made a pretty big muck up of mine this morning, it's rather nasty weather here and the bathroom was a wee bit darker than usual, put a bit much powder on.....thought I had tapped the brush out pretty good, put my foundation on, looked OK to me, and I thought oh well should be right! NOT!!  I just looked in the mirror under my flourescent lights at work and I look like freaking FRANKENSTIEN!!! Lucky client isnt arriving till 2.00 so I can do some repair work LOL :) Everything is cakey and seperating....lesson learned. Yesterday I used a translucent powder, today I used a mineral beige powder. Translucent is WAY better.
paolapar
72 posts
Has anyone tried to apply the foundation afterwards with a beauty blender? Or does that defeat the purpose of the powder over foundation? :)
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Just had a crack at doing this. I applied moisturiser first. You hardly need any powder. I only needed one swish then tapped out. I used fingers for foundation like he did. I put a tiny amount and it didn't really spread out very well. So I put normal amount on fingers and it was waaaaaaay to much. 

Since I was on a roll I added eye shadow while I waiting for my face to set. To me I could see a couple of dry patches where the moisturizer was missed. In saying that by the time I had done my eyes the foundation looks great. Will try again tomorrow with right portions.

ive just noticed how different my face feels. Smooth!

emzor
143 posts
@paolapar I use a Real Techniques one and it works great!
Shazzaali
45 posts
Totally missed this video but I do love Wayne Goss, he has all the tips and tricks of the trade. I think I will give this ago over the long weekend, will give me something to do in the crappy weather
Chelsea_Ruby
17 posts
I am definitely trying this tomorrow! I've heard a lot of good things about this method and despite being a little skeptical I'm always up for trying new things! 
taraflynn
31 posts
well even though Im stuck home after surgery Im going to give it a go today, I have some translucent powder that I was given but havent really used it, might have a go with that, and shock the hubby with make up on today lol
Manda129
419 posts
I tried it on Thursday for my day at work, my make up lasted alot longer than it normally does but my nose got the flakiness to it as it usually does, might have to try again but really powder up my nose :)
colleencanary
764 posts
I tried this today and all I can say is that Wayne Goss has started a make up revolution!! I will never do my foundation any other way.

I did my make up early this morning and 10 hours later, its still perfect and fresh as if I just applied it. No cakey foundation, no patches, no touch ups and oh my heck... No oily skin!!! I'm truly converted now.
Chaotic82
522 posts
Ok, now I have to try.  My skin was so oily by the end of today.  I don't know what it's trying to do :(
Cat
474 posts
I'm a little late on this but I finally tried this technique. Yesterday I tried it for the first time and I was ok with the results, I didn't really like the matte look it gave me but once my makeup set and some time passed my skin started looking less matte and it lasted really well. So I was happy, not blown away but it lookedp good. Today however I'm thinking of scrubbing my face already. I know it's because I used a different foundation. Yesterday I used my l'oreal lumi magique which is quite liquidy, but today I used Illamasqua Skin Base which is a more thicker creamier consistency. Being thicker it just didn't work as well. My face feels and looks slightly cakey. I feel like its eccentuated my pores too! I didn't need to use as much as normal but it took a bit of work blending it. Not too impressed especially as the Skin Base is awesome at making my skin look nice and smooth. so lesson learnt on being more careful on what foundation to use with this technique! 
LadyRE
12 posts
I freaking LOVE this technique, I have been using powder first for about a week and OMG it has made such a huge difference for me! I have oily skin and large pores, and using the powder as a "primer" so to speak really fills in my pores! I use alot less foundation as well, applied with a brush, and it never looks cakey! I normally powder my t zone as well (Damn oily skin) and it mas made my whole face of makeup last the whole day which is crazy for me, and I usually had to repowder a couple of times a day. I use the Antipodes Translucent Mineral Powder for this - works perfect! Soooo happy Mr Goss shared this with us all!
makeupmonkey
11 posts
I'm another one who is on the band wagon with this technique although I am still experimenting.  I'm not happy with my Smashbox Photofinish primer but dusting with my Lauren Mercer translucent powder over the top helps my BB cream adhere better (I'm thinking about going back to MAC for one of their primers).  I found it was a more matte look, which I do like but I need to do something about my furry chin and upper lip because it does accentuate that! 
Cat
474 posts
I think it does depend on your products a lot. I also love a dewy finish so it makes me a little iffy about it. I also don't have oily skin. But in saying that, with the right products, it doesn't cling to dry patches etc. It definitely prolongs my foundation, I'm a major face toucher so this technique is handy in regards to that! 
Lutece
1849 posts
I love gossmakeup artist, his videos are so informative!
Seeing this video made me so willing to give it a go and it really does work!
It took me longer than my normal foundation routine but you do use less foundation, and it looks so much more natural and flawless!
I also tried his reverse contouring trick today and that was amazing too, his tips and tricks always amaze me
colleencanary
764 posts
I think Wayne Goss is single handedly the most genius make up artist!! Not only does he know what to do with make up but how to use to correct flaws. I love how he has "how to's" for every single one of skin imperfections and how to "correct" them make up. How did I ever without Wayne Goss ;)
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I've just started watching him. Makes everything look so easy!
nelliebelle
113 posts
When I read about this on BR I had to check out the video. I was very skeptical and didn't think this technique would work on me and was worried that it would be cakey.
I tried it for the first time yesterday as I didn't have anywhere important to go. I LOVED it and wore powder before foundation again today and have to say that I am a convert!
I applied a thinish layer of fne mineral power, then foundation with my fingers, then a very small amount of powder on my t zone. At the end of the day my makeup was still in place and not cakey at all. My pores seem less visible as well. As crazy as it sounds, you should at least give it a try :)
adelewarburton
53 posts
I love Wayne goss, it's pouring with rain in my patch of the South Island today, I have school work to do, the kids can park up in front of the idiot box and I shall try this technique out. Will keep you posted.
adele
Lexxie
98 posts
I have been using this technique for the past few days using Bare Minerals Original as my powder and YSL Touche Eclat Foundation. I have been really enjoying trying a new style of applying foundation and powder and will probably continue doing this for a while. I do find my face looks more flawless using less product. I enjoy how little foundation I need and how easy it is to apply (using Sigma Flat Kabuki). Today I added a little powder on top also but found this made it too matte and I looked a bit cakey. Always fun to try new styles, Goss is amazing x

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!