Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Advent calendars?

26 posts, 11 members
Susilia
484 posts
Too early? Sorry!!
so, I've ordered lookfantastic advent calendar and ASOS advent calendar this year, I'm not getting the NZ made one, because they're not making a 24/25 day calendar, just 2x12 day calendars(classic and luxury), a tad sad and disappointed, I mean I could buy both and have 24 days, but rather expensive if I did that.

which advent calendars are you guys planning to get? 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Oh I hadnt even thought of advent calendars. I made my partner one last year. It was full of rum and chocolate haha

this year i think ill do that box trick with all the boxes inside each other and the walls fall down.. just have to think of things to go inside lol
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah I'm not getting a NZ one either. 

im not sure if I'll do one or if I'll just buy myself a treat every day or something instead 
Kimrose
1419 posts
This is something I have never done.  So ladies, educate me please. What are the best advent calendars out there?
shazatron101
5112 posts
Secret santa br? :-D 
Susilia
484 posts
Secret Santa BR? I'm in! :D 
Susilia
484 posts
Hey Kimrose, so beauty advent calendars are like chocolate advent calendars, you open a door every day and find a surprise there, like a face cream, body lotion, mascara, brush etc. I usually do 3 a year: lookfantastic, ASOS and the NZ made one(not getting that this year).

lookfantastic $165 free shipping or $136 if you subscribe to their monthly beauty box

asos $193 NZD or about $145 if you pay in pounds, they change price for NZ-ers, sneaky! I just go to asos.com, do the uk site 75pounds and put nz address in, still free shipping, but paying in pounds, rather than NZ dollars. :) 
Susilia
484 posts
Trudijoy, were you disappointed too that there were no 25 day NZ made ones? I mean, quality declined in the past 2 years anyway, I've found, but now... making 2x12 days one? I wish Charly(?) would've never sold that business...:(
Sorry, not sure of the previous owners name and who started beautiful Christmas, later changed to beautiful surprises.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Lol Charly is  my sister in-law. The new owner Sabeena is super lovely too. 

it's part the '12 days is NOT an advent calendar' thing and part that it's still around the $100 mark for half the goodies. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
If benefit do theirs this year I might get that. Or a body shop one 
Susilia
484 posts
Yeah, I kinda remembered you were somehow related! :D
Nothing against Sabeene, she's lovely and I've told her my honest opinion why I won't get a "calendar" this year, I mean I think she needs to know that not everyone is happy about it and I was respectful the way I told her and she was nice to reply, hopefully she might rethink it for next year! :) 
Totally agree, same price, but half the goodies? No, thank you lol! :D 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Your comments are exactly why I'm not getting an Advent Calendar this year either.  A 12-day box doesn't sit right with me, and also the fact that it's the same price as last year's Advent Calendar.  No, thank you. I'd rather purchase a BBBE.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yeah the Beautiful Surprises was a big no from me when I saw the price for just 12 days. I doubt I'll buy an advent calendar at all this year. I'd rather put the money towards some of the gift sets that Mecca bring out for Xmas as they're much better value. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah no regrets moving away from the beautiful surprises one this year. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Agreed, same reason I'm not getting one this year. So gutted as I'm a bit better off financially this year too. If there's a BBBE crueltyfree  for Christmas I'll probably grab that.

Id participate in a secret Santa, that would be awesome. 

SandieNZ
424 posts
I so want another calendar but not sure which one to go - will definitely be giving the Beautiful Surprises one a miss.  I might check out the asos one in the meantime.  
Susilia
484 posts
20% off code for ASOS: TWENNY

if you buy the advent calendar while currency is set to British pounds, it'll cost you around 115 nzd using the code. :)
shazatron101
5112 posts
Im surprised i havent seen more advertising for advent calendars!
MissDilly
229 posts
I was thinking about beauty advents today too..... Beautiful Surprises doesn't appeal to me either with it's changes, so what else is out there based on last year that's worth looking out for? Last year was my first beauty advent- I usually live vicariously through my kids Lego advent calendars...which aren't quite the same 'treat'  :D
trudijoy
8375 posts
I saw a Mecca one today I nearly bought then didn't. It was a 12 days one and was $72, and I was serrrrriously tempted but I think I'll just do a xmas haul of specific things I really want instead 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Im making mr shaz one of those boxes and you take the lid off and theres gifts and another box inside.  Like pass the parcel but more adult hahahaha
MareeB
5244 posts
Aw Mr Shaz's magnificent gift box of gift boxes sounds so fun Shaz :)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I think I'll also be doing a haul of the Xmas gift sets I want too, instead of an advent calendar. They work out much better value. I still have things from advent calendars from a few years ago that I've never used. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
I hope so maree! Last year was an actual advent calendar i reused that i had bought for myself hahahaha. I love making him things like that, he accepts them with a smile but i know deep down he'd be happy if i wasnt insane lol

Its going to be fun and frustrating i think hahaha
jalb88
121 posts
I have gotten the beautiful surprizes advent calendar every year but as its changed to a 12 day one this year I decided not to get it as its always nice to have something to open every day. 

Instead I treated myself to the Lancome 24 day one which has mini versions of all of their hero products plus a full size mascara ! Its a really pretty open up landscape of houses with an eiffel tower in the middle. I'm going to collect mini beauty products throughout the year next year and get my partner to create me my own one for next christmas as its too pretty to throw away! 
tabucutie
1811 posts
For me, I still enjoy opening the old school chocolate advent calendars i used to get when I was little. Little things like that keep me feeling young lol.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!