Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Eyeliner for the beginner

20 posts, 18 members
angebearr
5 posts
Hiya (:

So as a person who has never worn eyeliner I was wondering should I be starting off with liquid or a crayon-like pencil? 

Which ones stay on longer / are easiest to apply / cheapest?

Thanks a bunch!
Rezee
1964 posts
Hi, I love eyeliner and wear it almost everyday. I prefer liquid or gel for my top lash line as I find that once it drys, it generally doesn't budge for the rest of the day.
For my lower lash line, I like pencils. I've tried to use liquid at the bottom but I usually end up poking my eye and I don't really like the hars line it gives down the bottom anyway.
Pencils are probably the easiest to use though, I don't have a fave brand but I've seen great things on here about the eyes of horus brand.
For liquid liners, I quite like the elf one and also the fine tip essence one is really easy to use. The bonus about those two is that they are both under $10 each.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I am a girl who loves my liquid eyeliner! One brand i find really affordable, and long lasting is Revlon colour stay Liquid eyeliner. . But i also just started using the Benefit they're real push up liner, and although the effects only last a few hours before it ...doesnt look as good as it initally does, the application is so easy! Like i could not beleive how easy it was so i would totally reccommend it for a beginers. 
triffid
151 posts
I started with a crayon/pencil eyeliner at forstYou can also just play around with a little darker eyeshadow along the eyelines just to see what its like and practise.I find steadying your arm for the application is best because you can get shaky and looking down into a mirror too.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Here is reviews for the revlon eyeliner http://www.beautyreview.co.nz//catalogue/revlon-1396465601
and here are the reviews for the Benefit option http://www.beautyreview.co.nz/catalogue/cosmetics/benefit-they-re-real-push-up-liner-review
Ataraxia
82 posts
Hi! welcome to the dark side... of eyeliner :) it's great over here!When I first started out I used a pencil, they're great for creating dark and soft smokey looks and come in a varity of beautiful colours! a good tip I found it patting an eyeshadow over top of the pencil line to ensure it really set in place for the day.If you want to try a liquid liner which is amazing for creating beautiful sharp, crisp lines I highly recommend Maybelline Master Precise Liquid Liner, I usually pick it up from Countdown :)It's got a lovely thin tip and is more like a pen rather than a brush and bottle which I think helps with drawing a nice line. Because it's thin. you are able to slowly build up your line and the formula is black and lasts the day easily.A tip I found useful when starting out with liquid liner was to draw three small lines along the lash line getting thicker as you move out toward the outer corner of your eye... from there you just connect up the lines :) remember either one you go for, practice makes perfect and it won't be long before you're confident in using your weapon of choice :)
100_percent_ash
488 posts
If you're wanting to try a liquid I can highly reccommend the Eye of Horus liquid it's super easy to apply and bulletproof, as are their pencil liners. The pencil liners also come in the most amazing shades. The hardest part is picking which one/s you want/resisting the urge to BUY ALL THE GODDESS PENCILS!!!
Macs
5351 posts
Hi there, Being a begginer I would definately go for a eye liner pencil first. Why?? I think its good to practice doing. Liquid eye liner is a step higher in learning. Lots of things can go wrong with liquid. It can smudge easily if you get it wrong. It also runs into your eye if you apply it wrong. I would go on you tube and search for eye liner application clips. 
Kia
550 posts
What I found was easiest to work with was gel liners. I find that pencils are too hard and actually hurt and relatively difficult to manouver because the pencils aren't usually that long. I find that liquid is the ultimate expert liner as one single move will ruin your entire look and you'll have to start again. But gel has a consistency of being inbetween pencil and liquid, in that it's not solid that it will hurt, but not so runny that it will go everywhere. I also love that you can use them with an angled brush which makes it so much easier 
george
150 posts
I agree with Kia - go with a gel! I wish I started off with a gel - pencils are a pain in the buttocks. I use a mixture of gel, pencil and liquid depending on the look that I am after. At the minute, for liquid, I'm really loving e.l.f's liquid liner xx
tabykitten
186 posts
I also agree with Kia - gel is the way to go. It's easy to correct if you make a mistake as well. I don't think I'd be able to go back to using a pencil after using gel for so long.
angebearr
5 posts
anyone have any good recommendations for gel liners?
Mila
1209 posts
I think its probably easiest to start out with a eyeliner pencil but like all things they all take a bit of practise and playing with to find what you like...  
Once you get yourself comfortable with pencils you can always try a liquid liner, I love a liquid liner but I still havent mastered the winged liner yet ! :)
chikoboo
3402 posts
For a beginner I would say grab a crayon style liner I started off with a bourjous eye crayon and although it produces a thicker than normal eye liner line but it gives you a semi permanent line that if you screw up you can blend into your lid and say screw it I was doing eye shadow instead, but its also a soft texture so your not dragging it and cause discomfort that for beginners could put you off trying again, then move up to liquid eyeliner in the form of a fibre tip pen type then your off with confidence to try any type =)
MareeB
5250 posts
I've been wearing eyeliner for far too many years to recall. I've always used liquid, but suggest finding a good narrow brush to put it on with - the brushes that come with the bottle are sometimes too thick or just nasty and you don't get a good line.
Kittik
179 posts
For a beginner I would suggest the maybelline gel eyeliner.

I've been wearing eyeliner fir many years, and I know that crayons and pencils vary a lot between brands. The gel is easy to apply, it doesn't run or make a mess and you don't have to press down hard to apply. It also isn't too soft, which can also be a problem with some of the crayon eyeliners.
I also think that the stubbier brush that comes with it would also be easier for a learner driver ;-)

The eyeliner quality is above average in my opinion, but once you get more confident with application it would be easy to get more adventurous and try different brands and types of eyeliner.
kirstyj
1732 posts
For a beginner I would go with a brown crayon type pencil. Rimmel do nice ones. I say brown because it is a colour if you smudge it it looks quite natural so is forgiving of mistakes :)
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
For a beginner I would recommend the black avon eye pencil. It's really easy to apply and not too hard to remove if you make a mistake.
isemonger
224 posts
You see I want to say you need to experiment to find what works for you (go to farmers and test all zee things!) but I want you to also know that for me.... gel is the only way.

Try not to go for the cheapest but rather what will give you value for money over the long run. I mean there is no point in spending on cheap ones and not getting the results you want and you end up spending lots on lots of cheap ones. However you do not need to rob the bank!! Check out the reviews on here and watch some youtube clips. I swear by my gel eye liner for the perfect flick! I good brush also helps but most gel eye liners come with their own so you do not need to spend more. xxx
tannygirl
3392 posts
 I find a soft rectractible pencil easiest. I usually give any eyeliner I'm planning on purchasing a smudge test where I have a bit of moisturizer on my hands and then draw on the eyeliner on the back of my hand and then try to smudge it. If it smudges waay to easily then it not worth me buying. I did that with EOH pencils before I got the sultry serpentine one and found my HG for eye pencils. I still need to get a liquid liner and learn how to draw winged liner though.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!