Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Makeup during Chemotherapy

10 posts, 8 members
EliseMM
120 posts
One of my close friends starts chemo for breast cancer next week. She has had waist-length hair and lush long eyelashes her entire life. Even though she is staying brave in the face of this new treatment, she is also honest about how devastating it will be to lose the things that make her feel beautiful. 

I want to give her a care package of products that will boost her confidence. I'm thinking brow pencils, false lashes, bright lipstick. Does anyone have suggestions? I really have no experience in this area as it is my first friend to be undergoing chemotherapy. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
    So sorry for your friend. As someone who has had no lashes to sparse lashes, flash lash serum is a big help. But if you don't have lashes or really sparse lashes the best way I've found to minimise the look is to tightline and draw a wing with a black liquid liner and then if you do have any lashes then of course mascara. For the lower lids you just tightline and add a bit of shadow underneath. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Hiya, am sorry to hear about your friend. All sorts of things can happen during chemo, your skin can go red and dry and become really sensitive. Fingernails can become very brittle. It can really wreck havoc on your body. I would definitely go for natural products, perhaps you could do some lovely moisturiser and hand cream, I know dry mouth is a side effect so some lovely juices if shes allowed or herbal teas. If she loses her hair a beautiful scarf that she would love. I'm not much help make up wise sorry but the more natural the products the better. I'm sure other ladies here may be more helpful  :-) I wish her all the best xx
trudijoy
8375 posts
I would suggest sample sizes <3

Chemo, and cancer in general, can change the nature of your skin, your hair, everything.  So sample sizes would allow her to try new things without having to keep buying more if they didn't work.  They're also easy to carry in and out of hospital and care appointments. 

It also changes your tastebuds, so don't stock up too much on things, but rather roll with what she's finding enjoyment in at the time. 

Things like candles can be lovely as well - she'll spend a lot of time tired, stressed or upset, and having things that are calming in the house can help a lot.

I think rather than replace what she's lost, helping her see that losing her hair doesn't mean she's not beautiful will ultimately mean more x

EliseMM
120 posts
Thanks all, such helpful insights!
Sophia
203 posts
I understood that hair doesn't always go, everyone reacts differently. 
A pretty scarf is a really nice idea. I wear a lot of scarves close to my skin in winter as I'm cold blooded, and can recommend silk - anything silk - is so soft and soothing on the skin. If she's feeling dry or sensitive then some fibres will seem scratchy
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Sorry about your friend but what a lovely gesture. I’d go with gentle sensitive products that make her feel better.
AboutFace
413 posts
Sorry to hear about your friend, I know this isn't make-up related but thought maybe a DVD to watch when she is resting like a comedy that will give her a laugh. 
MrsLissy
301 posts
I would encourage your friend to get in touch with Look Good Feel Better. They are an amazing charity who help people going through cancer with makeup, skincare and great workshops. They were great for my mum's first cancer journey, just before her hair all came out she went to one of their workshops and learnt how to tie scarves around her head etc which made the transition to being bald easier for her.
EliseMM
120 posts
MrsLissy great idea! Thanks so much!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!