Article by BR Tabatha
It's probably not escaped your attention that our shopping habits have once again been curbed by Covid. Right now we're surviving on Supermarkets and Pharmacies alone. And yes, we're big believers in following lockdown rules, and only going out to these shops when you need the essentials.
Which means we might need to get a little creative when our fave products run out. Some of us will try new brands from the supermarket and sneak a wee beauty treat in the trolley. (Countdown's face mask selection is fantastic!) But not me. Nope. That would be too easy.
My lockdown beauty challenge is to NOT buy any beauty products until Level 3 has lifted and it's business as usual for my local retailers. Instead, I'm going to try and substitute my empties with...Coconut Oil.
...and also because, I'm in lockdown. I'm bored people. Bored.
Seriously, coconut oil has about a squillion uses - skin care, hair care, home care - as versatility goes, it leaves most marketed multi-purpose products far behind.
What rocked my world about Coconut Oil was that it has a natural SPF of 4, which whilst not very high, offers that little extra protection when layering products.
For those unfamiliar with coconut oil don't be put off by it's solid form - it easily melts with body warmth between the palms of your hands! And when using coconut oil for a new use opt for the less is more approach until you figure out the right amount for you!
Here's just a few of the many beauty uses for coconut oil:
- You can use it as a hair oil/serum for taming frizzies and flyaways.
- You can use it as an intensive hair treatment.
- It's considered the perfect oil for oil pulling.
- You can use it as a very basic skin lotion.
- It's considered a fantastic makeup remover, akin to expensive cleansing oils.
- Pregnant women rub it on their tummies to help soften the skin and lessen stretchmarks.
- Mix with sea salt for a coarse exfoliant that's great for your feet.
- Mix with sugar for a less coarse body scrub
- As a cuticle oil.
- As a bath oil.
- Mix one part coconut oil to two parts antibacterial soap and voila; makeup brush cleanser.
- Lip Balm, or when mixed with a bit of lipstick, or liquid lipstick...tinted lip balm.
- As an under eye cream - soak up that goodness.
- As a shaving cream substitute.
And here's some other pretty cool beauty-related uses:
- As a nappy cream and barrier cream
- As a naturally antibacterial cream for scrapes and grazes.
- As a erm, personal lubricant, for, well, you know what.
- As either a shaving cream or after-shave balm.
- As a cradle cap solution - massage in to the head and leave to sit for as long as you can. Gently brush the flakes loose and shampoo out.
- As a soother for bug bites.
- As a massage oil. You can add whatever essential oils you prefer to make a custom blend.
- As a deodorant. Mix with a little arrowroot to stay fresh all day.
- As relief from cracked paw pads. Your woof-woof will thank you.
- As a beard/moustache shaper.
Oh and apparently, you can even cook with it.
Are you a fan of Coconut Oil? What do you use it for? Are you up for joining Tabby on her lockdown challenge*? Get chatting below!
*No. Us neither. - BR Nat.