Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Microbeads - are you looking to remove them from your skin care?

10 posts, 7 members
JessB
219 posts
Hi everyone, I was just having a conversation about microbeads in New Zealand with a friend and we're both upset at how hard it is to find out whether a product does use microbeads or not, without foresaking our scrubbing altogether!

My friend then sent me a really great link to a website that sets out in different countries (including New Zealand) what brands and products use microbeads, list some ingredients known to be used for microbeads, or don't have microbeads. You can find that website here.

Now I was hoping for people's thoughts and feelings when it comes to microbeads.
Are you a nay or yay? Why?
If you are using a product with microbeads would you consider changing?
tannygirl
3392 posts
    If I know a product has microbeads then I think my interest in purchasing it goes way down, reviews have to be glowing and scintalling for me to reconsider buying it. When it comes to mechanical scrubs for my face my fave is jojoba beads which is gentler on my skin and environmentally friendly. And for body it's coffee grinds, buffs me smooth better than any other exfoliant I have tried so far. 
    Honestly I don't see why companies need to add microbeads to products as there are other mechanical exfoliants - sugar, coffee, salt, jojoba beads, walnut shell, apricot pits, etc.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
To be honest I'm not really up with the play regarding micro beads other than that there is a bit of controversy surrounding them and how bad they are for you as well as the environment.

Personally I try to use as natural as possible so think I would avoid them anyway just to be on the safe side.
Good point Tanny, why don't they use one of the many other options available?

If a product has microbeads it's a massive no for me. Putting plastic in the ocean every time I wash my face? No thanks!!
MareeB
5244 posts
I've been using the Beauty Formulas Cool Moist Cucumber Scrub. I don't know what the wee gritty bits are, so after reading this thread I checked by rubbing it into my arm and the grit disappears. It's like salt in texture so is quite gentle. I like it and it's very economcial, so worth a try.
JessB
219 posts
I've always preferred natural products also, another reason why I'm loving the Sub24 scrub. The main problem being found with microbeads is that they don't break down once washed down the drain, so like Sara said they build up in the ocean. Looking over the lists of what products still have the microbead ingredients I was quite surprised at some of them!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
eek there is enough pollution in the ocean as it so definitely won't be adding to it with any products with microbeads in them.  

Will definitely be checking out that website that shows what products have them in so I can avoid them.
Thanks for sharing the list JessB. It's good to be able to make informed decisions!
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I tend towards organic products which I don't think use microbeads the same.
Macs
5351 posts
Yes I am aware of Microbeads. I would like to go away from using them.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!