Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

15 posts, 11 members
Macs
5351 posts
I've been wearing full faced make up a lot recently. As I get towards midday - afternoon my face fades off. My make ups melting from the heat. Mascara melting and foundation melting. Has this happened to you before? Anyone know any ways I can make up last a little bit longer? 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
He he he had to chuckle a bit as I was trying to imagine you with a melting face lol.

Are you using a setting powder on top of your foundation hun? Also have you tried a hair dryer (only use slightly to dry your mascara and set it).  I haven't done this personally but saw a video of someone doing it with the mascara and it seemed to work.  Something to try maybe?
tannygirl
3392 posts
Do you use a primer and set your foundation with powder? I would also recommend maybe checking the type of foundation and primer you use. Some foundations are more long wearing. And a primer that's more lightweight and formulated for oily skin would help things stay on longer. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
You're in Auckland eh Macs? I dunno how you can manage a full face up there, the heat is sticky hot and yuck! I almost died from it when we were up there last year in Feb for 3 days, yuuucckkk hahahaha. 

I would suggest looking for a matte primer, a powder foundation or a good setting powder to use over your current foundation. As for mascara don't put as much on, I find that works okay, or maybe a dryer formula (but what do I know, I'm not a profesh hahahaha) good luck! 
Macs
5351 posts
Yeah I'm in Auckland and it's humid. It's hot up here. I've started using compact powder but not a setting one. My face is melting on my forehead and jawline. Shame . I'm using the dermalogica primer atm. Any reccomendations for product brands? I've cut back to wearing make up two to three times a week. I carry wipes for when it happens.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I definitely recommend a matte primer and a setting powder if your skin will allow it. I use Rimmel stay matte primer with an all over 'setting powder' and have no issues in the heat :)
Koni
444 posts
I agree with the other BR lovelies Macs (btw I LOVE your profile pic!).  I live in Auckland and for our lousy version of summer I wear a primer (for oily skin), swap out my liquid for powder (reluctantly) and seal it in with a good dose of Urban Decay All Nighter setting spray.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I lived in a country where humidity levels in summer were 90-98% most days and average temps were 32-38 degrees, so I've had plenty practice trying to keep my make-up on my face!  I must say I do miss the heat (Auckland doesn't get hot enough for me) but I don't miss the humidity! 

The key is thin layers and allowing a little time (a few minutes) between products to let them settle onto your skin and "set" before applying the next thing. The more layers of product you use, the more chance of your make-up slipping or “melting” in the heat. 

After cleansing, toning and moisturising lightly, add a thin layer of sunscreen and really blend this into your skin. Wait a few minutes before applying foundation.

Choose a liquid foundation with a long-lasting formula designed for your skin type (dry, combination or oily), as these tend to set nicely and powder would then be optional. Apply a very thin layer of foundation, blending it well and slowly build up the coverage only in areas where you need more. If necessary, apply a small amount of concealer to problem areas. Apply a very light dusting of powder if you have a very oily skin, but depending on the type of long-lasting foundation that you use, you may not need powder at all (or only a little on the T-zone).  Excess powder and perspiration can lead to white marks on the face, especially around the nose, chin and upper lip.

When applying eye shadow, opt for long-lasting formulas, eyeshadow primer with powder shadows or cream and gel formulations that set once dry. Line your eyelashes with waterproof eyeliner before applying waterproof mascara or a water-resistant mascara (like Blinc or Jelly Pong Pong Fairy Curl Lashes mascara).  Eyebrows can be defined and filled in with a waterproof brow pen or brow gel.

Waterproof cream blusher will provide a healthy glow to your skin and bronzer is optional. To ensure all day lip colour, stain your lips first before applying lipstick. Lips can be stained with a long-lasting formula lipstick, a lip stain or a long-lasting lip pencil. As lip stains can leave your lips feeling a little on the dry side, apply a moisturising lipstick or lip balm on top or use a Balm Stain (like Revlon has). You may need to touch-up the balm during the day, for added moisture, but the stain will ensure that the colour remains on your lips all day.

If you don’t have waterproof products already and don’t want to go out and purchase a whole new set of make-up, try using a mattifying primer (NYX Shine Killer Primer, Innoxa Pure Silk Skin or Rimmel Stay Matte Primer) under your usual foundation, a setting or fixing spray (NYX Matte Fixing spray) to set your make-up.  

Use blotting paper (The Body Shop used to have these) to absorb any excess oil or shine during the day without smearing or smudging your make-up.
MissQT
1547 posts
I agree wth using a powder to set and also use the Rimmel powder. You can also try using a setting spray to set your foundation. The maybelline and Australis ones are pretty good.
MissQT
1547 posts
Those are great tips Silvene!
Macs
5351 posts
Thank you silvene. I'm going to try that.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Also using a blotting paper or the beauty blender boteratzi I really like that to pick up the shine I don't really experience melting face anymore since I've locked down on my regime. Which changes from winter I like to wear a cc cream mostly in summer. Still with a mattifying primer & a powder on top both with a good setting spray. For full coverage I'll use a foundation powder on top of cc cream or just a foundation.
Macs
5351 posts
Ah that's what I need keri. I need more primers and powders. I only got one of each at the moment.
trudijoy
8375 posts
honestly, Auckland's only just starting with the weather. It's way worse in late Jan/Feb. You get used to it - and it's not as bad as Asia!

My main tips are....

- steer clear of ultra hydrating products
- mattifying powder
- oil blotting paper
- sunblock as setting spray - I use the neutrogena beach one
- a tanned face with lighter base eg BB cream over it is way better than using full foundation. If you must use full foundation then go for two light layers, with mattifying powder between them.
- waterproof mascara and eyeliner move less
- lip stain with gloss/balm over is is more likely to stay looking fresh
- simple looks for summer days, focusing on one or two aspects, not a full on full face
- Lee Stafford liquid umbrella dehumidifying spray for hair!! <3
- body mist style perfumes, or at least lighter scents.
Kaley
8 posts
I had this problem. I started to use a powder on top of my foundation and water-proof mascara. It works! And I've read some interesting and useful tips here. Thanks girls! 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!