Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

27 posts, 23 members
Macs
5351 posts
What was your very first make up item that you purchased?  Mine was a Maybelline Great Lash Mascara and a lipgloss.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Oooh that's a hard one. Does body glitter count? Haha
Rezee
1964 posts
That I purchased myself? Im not totally sure but I do remember being 13 and my mum bought me my first mascara and black eyeliner. Australis brand. Actually the first thing I probably purchased was liquid eyeliner not long after that.  Me and my friend were really into liner!
chikoboo
3402 posts
Not sure if it counts but I so vividly recall when as a child probably only 5 or 6 years old, going to the sea side and there being this little shop that sold all manner of things.  There was this Tinkerbelle cosmetic set that had all "child safe" makeup products in it.  I can recall exactly where is was in the shop and the nagging I gave to my mum and dad for them to buy it for me.  They didn't right away, but on the last day my dad gave me a bag for the ride home and in it was that Tinkerbelle cosmetic set and a couple of Disney perfumes, apparently I had been a good girl (probably the only time ever!! I was a naughty child hehehe) In the set was 2 nail polishes where they peeled off with lots of glitter in them, a couple of lipsticks that were probably just tinted lip balms, a eyeshadow palette, and a blush compact.  I never forget it! 

My very first "adult" own brought piece of makeup would probably have been a Rimmel or Boots Collection lipstick, I don't recall to be honest I would have been 13 or 14 at the time =)
Rezee
1964 posts
Chikoboo, that reminds me of the jelly bean range they had at farmers. Does anyone remember it? They had pink and white jellybeans, and perfumes too. I loved that stuff. My parents never let me use play makeup, mum would always take it off us when it came with dolls.
chloednz
217 posts
body glitter YES! I was way too much of a body glitter fan haha

I aways inherited a lot of stuff off my mum and probably brought mascara but I think the first thing I went out and purchased was Maybelline Shinylicious gloss, I remember lusting after Juicy Tubes but it was way out of my teenage budget.
trudijoy
8375 posts
omg no idea.  Like Chikoboo I remember several little girl makeup items floating around.  I know when I was 17 in Japan I got into it way more - I don't recall really wearing it at school in NZ.  One thing I bought in Japan that really sticks out was silver glitter mascara (HEY it was the 90's!)
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
It was Moisture Mist beauty cake in the shade breezy beige. I was 17 at the time and it was the foundation my Mum used at the time.
Macs
5351 posts
I remember those tinkerbell sets I always wanted oneof those. As a little girl my first set was from an aunty it had eye shadows in it with lip glosses inbedded in the pallette.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
The first item I had bought for me was a little lipgloss stack from the $2 shop. I had 2 of them and they were pretty adorable.
mallomiss
569 posts
OHHHH!!! The Jelly Bean range! I loved that stuff!!!! 
I think my first purchase was Nail Polish - When we moved to Aussie (I was 13) I found a Pharmacy in my local Mall that had a whole range of crazy colours that I'd never seen here. I think I brought them all! 
Mila
1209 posts
I'm not sure on the first item I bought myself but I know my first makeup purchase my mum bought me to help cover my ezcema on my face ( I was in high school and super self conscious about it ) -we bought some No 7 products - back then they were the best products we could find for super sensitive skin like mine.  

not long after I started working in a pharmacy and red earth nights/weekends and bought endless makeup supplies -  I basically worked to purchase pretty things haha
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I think it was the lip gloss stack at the $2 shop but I can't remember.
Toni-Lee
503 posts
I remember buying my first piece of makeup which was a Natural Glow Powder from the chemist when I was 18 only because thats what my aunty was using when I lived with her. I knew nothing about makeup and I was a tomboy right through my teen years haha.
MareeB
5244 posts
Yikes that was a long time ago Macs! I think it was blue eye shadow, and I got a 100 lines from a prefect for wearing make up to school (the make up was blue eye shadow that's why I think it was my first purchase - Form 4!)
Macs
5351 posts
That Natural glow was a big hit back then. I remember that. How can we forget suzzanne Paul doing that informercial lol I remember blue eyeshadow being trendy from looking back at some of my mums pics.
Toni-Lee
503 posts
Yea well I'm 32 this year so goes to show how long it's been around lol.
DianaN
143 posts
My first ever make up purchase that I made with my own money was both the Dior Nude Skin Foundation and Rimmel Brow Pencil. I had severe acne and wanted to cover it up (and had also gotten my first paycheck so wanted to splurge - a lot)! I also have super sparse brows, splurged too much on my foundation and got the Rimmel brow pencil instead. Oh the joys of being 15 and overestimating my income. 

Now that I'm 19 and a full time uni student, I'm on the student budget. :/
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I have no idea, it was that long ago. I remember being brought my first fragrance as a Xmas gift but not my first makeup item. I'll see if I can cast my mind back that far ;)
emilyroche
1 posts
I don't remember what product it was but I remember the brand was Australis! :)
Lutece
1849 posts
Wow thats a long trip down memory lane! Mine would have to be the Maybelline Cool effect eyeshadow crayons, that was 12 years ago , I wonder if they still sell them haha
MissQT
1547 posts
Mine was probably nail polish, but as that not really make up the next item was maybelline falsies mascara I think. And it's still my favourite mascara. Although I've heard heaps of great things about the eye of Horus mascara.
annanguyen
142 posts
My first ever makeup purchase was when I was in high school. I bought a Maybelline Mascara and can't even remember what mascara it was
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Mine was the Maybelline Great Lash mascara too, haha, I thought it was the bees knees. These days, not so much!
StayClassy-xo
240 posts
Haha I think one of the first items I purchased was a Maybelline Great Lash mascara too!  And a L'oreal peach blush.
alyshajayne
92 posts
I was 14 and it was a moisture mist cake foundation and a moisture mist lipstick! I also owned way to much body glitter!
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Oh, this is taking a trip down memory lane. Actually have to think about that for a second. I beleive the first makeup i brought was for my ball when i was 15 and it was a small eyeshadow from revlon! 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!