Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

A question for the lipstick lovers

27 posts, 14 members
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I want to add to my lipstick collection, but.. don't want to be buying colours that are really similar and it seems I keep doing it! Any tips or helpful hints bearing in mind that I am an online shopper!
I have the same problem hun, most lipsticks I buy are either the same colour or not the colour I wanted.  I have so many lipsticks that are the same and I get home and sometimes have even bought the exact same one lol.  Unfortunately I don't have any useful tips because I do this too lol.  Hopefully another lovely can help xx

trudijoy
8375 posts
if you see someone with similar colouring to you (or who suits similar colours) check out what else they wear ;)
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
oh that sucks, but i am glad someone can relate. I want to buy another Mac lipstick or two.. and they are too expensive to get two colours that are basically identitical! 
Noone that i know has a similar skin tone to me :( i just google my skintone and lipsticks to see what comes up, but they can look so different online! Thanks for the advice though 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah I hear that one.  My current (obsessively so) fave lippy is Lime Crime Countessa Fluorescent, but when I saw it online I wasn't sure if I'd ever wear it.  Bought it on impulse and am so in love. . . .
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
He he he I know what you mean about the Mac lipsticks.  I bought one and that was expensive enough, it ended up not being the right colour in the end so buying two of them similar in colour.  Google swatches are also not reliable because lipsticks can look totally different on each person x
Macs
5351 posts
Hey I just noticed I did a similar thing all my new lipstick are all pink nudes or bright pinks. I find swatches unrealiable too. I think skin tone does needs to be taken into account because it can look different on each person. What colours do you gravitate too?
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I love pinks with brown undertones... very nude and natural, but would also want to branch out a little! 
I used to be a nudes girl too, and then I kind of branched out into purples lol.  My favourite colour is purple so kind of made sense for me to own some. Problem I'm having is that my purples look purple in the tube but when you apply it or swatch it, they are more of a pink.  I've spent so much money in the past looking for that perfect purple but yep, still on the hunt at this stage lol
MissQT
1547 posts
I am finding I am doing the same the recently too! Another thing you could try is buying cheap lipsticks to see if the colours suit you and then trying to find similar shades in higher end brands. This was my plan when I started buying jordana lipsticks but then I ended up really liking those lipsticks!
trudijoy
8375 posts
haha Miss QT I did the same thing.   Got a few jordanas and then fell in love with lippy <3
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Oh thats a good idea, might try that.  Only found one colour in the Jordana range that I liked ad sadly the wrong colour too lol.
trudijoy
8375 posts
also play with your eyeshadows.  Scrape a little into a powder and mix with clear lip gloss or vaseline and pop it on your lips to get a sense of colours.

I do it that way sometimes.
Ringy
825 posts
if I painted a picture with my lipsticks and glosses it would end up looking like a dusty pink rose garden - all muted pinks, nudes, beiges, and some sheer burgundy in the shadows- maybe a random red rose (I think I have one red lippy, somewhere, never to be worn). Overall very bland and blendy in together. Very Renoir- no Andy Warhol in my makeup bag.
MissQT
1547 posts
I have a couple of jordana lipsticks that are my absolute favourites. 
MissQT
1547 posts
and that's a great idea Trudi with the eyeshadow. I've done that before with clear nail polish and eyeshadow to create different colours.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Have a look online and find a crazy colour that is nothing like what you have. Buy it and make yourself wear it! You might surprise yourself :)
Koni
444 posts
Oh my giddy aunt I'm sure we all have that dreaded problem :-S

If there's a particular shade I want I just google the dupes (preferably side-by-side swatches) and check if I have those dupes in my collection - this is how I avoid buying a lot of MAC's LE lippies / blushes.  Sometimes it pains me to forgo them but then I just tell myself to get a grip haha.

Happy hunting and looking forward to what you decide to grab!
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Oh I hear you I was doing that! I found I had heaps of brown mac ones. Different shades and finishes.
I have been into a mac store a few times. I grab the ones that are totally not what I wear and swatch them. I write down all the colours for when I buy online. I'll always buy a lippy or something from the store IF the sales person helped me out. If not I buy online.
What I did last time I brought lasplash I grabbed bright dresses I have and picked colours from them.

I always looks up Google swatches and temptilla as well. I have brought many many pinks and pink scares me. I have passed most of them on and sold a couple
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I guess the hard thing with lipsticks is, yes differing skin tones etc impact on how it looks, but the main issue is that they look different depending on your natural lip colour, and it's pretty hard to know who has your identical lip colour lol. So without being able to try the lippy on it really is a bit of a gamble.

I like Jessicka's idea! Haha.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Binary I got braver with colours when I finally sucumb to MAC lipsticks!  I love how you can go onto their site and the whole rainbow is laid out in front of you so you can pick and choose.  I wear alot of different colours and mostly bold ones at that but what I tell everyone who asks about getting into different colours is, if you aren't brave enough to go bold then go sheer.  Try a variety of different shades in a sheer finish as it isn't a full opaque look so the boldness of the colours are muted down to a more softer, wearable look.  From there you can rule the lipstick world once you get more and more comfortable with the different colours. 
chikoboo
3402 posts
Trudi's idea of making your own out of eyeshadow is great too, I do this often with my Rovie loose shadows but mix them with a clear gloss so they come out like a coloured lipgloss.  It's great to play with colours.  The other thing is it is only lipstick you will be surprised what colours work on different skins, it's good to try something new and be out of your comfort zone.  Pairing with a neutral eye means your lips will take centre focus too.
alikat
423 posts
If I look at my collection of lipsticks, there are lots that are very similar looking swatch wise, but look different on the lip. I usually buy sight unseen after LOTS of research online, or in store swatching.

If you go to MAC, they will sometimes help. The best SA I got at MAC even offered to apply the product to me and told me to wear it for a while and see how it felt and how I felt about the colour. I ended up going back to buy that lipstick. Any cosmetic counter worth their salt will do this for you too. 

And if you see a shade you like on someone else, ask them what it is. You'll find out what the shade is and the other person thinks you're paying them a complement! 

There is weight too in the tip to buy cheaper lipsticks to just try the colour and then splurge to get similar shades in more expensive brands :) I did that before I got my first red lipstick!
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
If you like buying online you could buy a range of colour pop lipsticks. They have lots of colours to choose from.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I would look at Temptalia's swatch gallery and dupe list as my first port of call. Good luck!
chikoboo
3402 posts
Temptila's blog is addictive in itself!  I do find myself there quite often and trust her swatches to be true to colour too. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!