Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What's the best makeup tip

27 posts, 15 members
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
So the thread on what's our favs got me thinking. We all love different makeup items and brands. Like liquid eyeliner over pencil.

So how's about sharing your best tip you have. Lets see if you can get others to fall in love with what they have or make them keen to try. Could be especially helpful for newbies to makeup

So for example mineral eyeshadow I used to use a setting spray on the brush first to stop any from dropping. Now I know what I'm doing I don't need to anymore.

For dark eyes I absolutely need to use IT bye bye undereye it's like a thick concealer. I drag it down to a upside down triangle down my chubby cheeks as well.

So tell me your tips xxx
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I don't have any tips as I'm learning alot with makeup so will be keeping an eye on this thread.

You girls sold me on the IT cosmetics Bye Bye Under eye, I'm soooo thankful yas did because I am in LOVE with it.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Tightlining your upper lashline. Small step, big impact.
trudijoy
8375 posts
interesting thread, will have to see if i've got any tips tucked away, can't think of any right now
Designer-mic
249 posts
Good one Ongy. Will be keeping an eye on this for some life changing goodies. 
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Um so what's tightlining?

Amy isn't it amazing!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
This is not my favourite thing to do but it does help me use up unwanted or awful product ... I use cream or crayon eyeshadows that I don't like as an eyeshadow primer (applied with a small concealer brush) before applying my shadow.  It seems to work just as well as a primer if its applied thinly and I don't have to throw out the cream eyeshaow and eye crayons that I don't really like wearing on their own.
janini9
341 posts
Mine is a wonder tip for me, but probably standard knowledge for all the makeup pros and long time makeup users. The use of a makeup finishing spray really makes makeup last the entire day and a really good makeup finishing spray adds that extra enhancing factor.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Farmers-Wife tightlining is putting eyeliner on your upper waterline - see here for a tutorial :)
Designer-mic
249 posts
WEEELLL.... Ill be a monekys nuts!....I have never heard of Tightlining...looks spooky to apply but a must try :) Ya learn something new everyday dont ya. 

Im with you on the finishing spray Janini9. That was a 2015 great find for me. 

Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Finishing sprays are lovely. I use a tonymoly one. Works with my skin well

Thanks luv. I do that sometimes just didn't realise it had a name "D
tannygirl
3392 posts
Mine isn't a huge one but I like to use micellar water on a cotton bud instead of eye makeup remover to fix up my winged liner the reason being most eye makeup removers are oil based and will make your liner smudge or come off much sooner if you apply liner over it.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i do that too tannygirl, you're exactly right. Micellar water just works better there! I also use Micellar water for removing hairdye from my face before it stains
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Tannygirl that's a really good tip, I've never thought of that thanks for sharing :)
Macs
5351 posts
I must bite bullet and try that Micellar water. Lately I've been spraying my beauty blender with setting spray before doing my foundation. So lazy lol
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Macs I'm the same I'm yet to try it. I have always but eyeliner on my upper waterline, it's amazing how dull my eyes look without it, I never realised it had a name.
peanuts579
10 posts
Thanks guys, great tips. The other day I discovered you can clean your brushes with micellar water and then you don't have to give your brushes a good clean as often. I am super lazy when it comes to washing my brushes. I don't actually know though how good this is for your brushes.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i've heard micellar water is great for brush cleaning, but i'd still be inclined to clean mine every ten days or so. I find clean brushes so much nicer to use and even with my stash it only takes me 10-15 mins which I don't mind :)
yexueli
5 posts
@Peanuts579: great tip about cleaning your brushes in micellar water! Will definitely try that when I want to do some spot cleaning on my brushes in between deep cleansing them.

As for a makeup tip, this was something I relied on when I was new to makeup. I struggled with liquid or gel eyeliner, so I would line it with a pencil eyeliner, then layer the liquid or gel liner over. It's much easier when all you need to do is follow a pre existing line! Another tip I still use to this day is applying lipstick vertically when I have dry or chapped lips. Applying lipstick the normal way (horizontally) would accentuate any cracks, and doing it vertically was much faster than using a lip brush.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Another thing I do is I do my eye makeup before I do my face makeup. The reason being that sometimes you get a bit of fall out with your eye shadow or your under eye area needs fixing or your winged liner so I do find if I do my eyes first I don't have to wipe off my foundation in areas to fix them. 

chikoboo
3402 posts
Oh have a few to share, probably already common place but I recently learnt these over the last few months and have been putting them into practice, seeing a huge improvement.

1) I see tightlining is mentioned above, but do you find that it runs out quickly, or fades during the day.  Grabbing a small brush coat in black (or whatever shade you are tightlining) eyeshadow, tap off excess and rub on back of hand once, you really want just a hint of colour on your brush and not much powder, then run or press/dab it over the liquid liner on your inner waterline.  Tricky to start but practice makes it easy.  Voila! The colour stays true all day and even your watery eyes are troubled to move it quickly. 

2) Using powders on face to help other products blend, if you start with a liquid or cream foundation the rule of setting with a powder isn't a gimmick, it settles the liquids to allow you to go over with your powder blushes, bronzers, highlighters, etc.. smoother and allow you to blend in perfectly without dragging or pulling.  It also helps to shrink pores and makes the skin surface look more flawless, only a thin veil mind you if you pile on the powder you are going to get cakey.  Use a mega fluffy face brush, the bigger the better and a translucent setting powder for the best finish.   A spritz of MAC fix+ at the end of the face beating will settle and make all the powder products merge happily and sit still on your face all day.

3) When tightlining the lower lash line, and you mess up by going over the lashes and creating a shadow under them, no fear smudge it out.  Grab a Q-tip and lightly spray with fix+ so it is damp not soaking (if you want to tidy it up and make a crisp line, soak the q-tip as it will lift the colour) then where you made the mistake smudge along under the lash line, and around the other v of your eye for a super soft smoky effect that looks intentional!

Have more but hit a mental block and can't remember them all.  Shall report back when I remember =)
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Great tips chikoboo! I'm going to try setting my tightline with a powder eyeshadow and see if that helps it stay put longer
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Awesome tips, my tip would be moisturise, moisturise, moisturise and then prime before putting on any mineral powder if you have super dry skin.  It makes a ton of difference, but make sure you dry in between.  But then you lovelies probably already know those tips already he he he
chikoboo
3402 posts
Mumof3 have you tried the Nivea men aftershave balm as a primer yet, it works brilliantly as a moisture barrier and leaves the surface tacky enough to keep powders adhered.  You might find it perfect under mineral powder and a lot more hydrating for you. 
Macs
5351 posts
Thats the missing link in my make up and its powders. I must give that tip a try Chik. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Oooh no I haven't chikoboo? Sounds awesome, definitely going to have to give that a try, thanks for that hun x
redfeilds18
4 posts
Hello Everyone

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!