Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Oils for acne prone & sensitive skin!!

8 posts, 4 members
Antonia
35 posts
Hi guys!! For my ripe little age of 21 years old, parts of my skin are quite porous and textured. I just have no idea what to do about this or where to begin in terms of helping the situation or preventing it from getting worse. Some of this is due to me having very dehydrated skin that can often get mild eczma and dry patches. My face is overall just an oily, dry patched mess!! 

My skin is still young and hormonal, as well as extremely sensitive (and extremely oily)! So for this reason i tend to stay away from any sort of 'anti ageing' products, or products that clame to help with skin texture, as 9 times out of 10 they will break me out and give me a rash because i am so prone to acne :(

(side note - i dont currently have acne anymore, but little changes in my routine can definitely set my skin off by giving me little pimples)

What im really asking for is if there are any other people out there who are prone to acne and with very sensitive/oily skin that may be using an oil themselves? I really want to combat these dry patches and sooth my dehydrated face without breaking it out, giving me a rash, or the product being too overly oily! I know there is a misconception that oily skinned gals cant use oils as it will make their skin even more oily, but in reality this is the total opposite and most gals (like me!) are just really dehydrated so their skin over produces oils! I just need to find the perfect one for me that doesnt break me out.

Any suggestions i would REALLY appreciate them!! Thankyou xxxx

tannygirl
3392 posts
    Okay my skin has changed a bit because it's winter and so now it's more dry but when I had really oily skin I found Jojoba oil or jojoba oil blends to really help to balance out my skin. Jojoba is ideal for sensitive skin and also oily skin since it's close in composition to your natural sebum.

I would recommend Oasis Beauty's Straight Up, which is the best oil I have ever come across for oily skin but sadly, I don't know why Oasis Beauty discontinued it. If you do find a bottle or two at a pharmacy that sells Oasis Beauty it's worth snapping up. It's so light it absorbs so quickly and helps to balance out your skin.
Imoshen
461 posts
Pourous textured skin or "orange peel skin" is what I have and have had it for years.  What helps is products that contain Niacinamide and apparently there have been studies that Green Tea (also called Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract) helps so products with this in could be good for you.  Many Korean products have green tea in them so check out Hikoco and see if there is something you'd like to try.

Stay away from essential oils and fragrance (or parfum) as these will only make your situation worse.  I started using CeraVe that I got through Amazon and it's amazing stuff.

You can also try something called Azelaic Acid which you can pick up from the Chemist.  Use sparingly.  If you can get a prescription, get yourself onto Retin A.  Highly irritating but you can make it work for you and it's amazing.

Watch Dr Dray on youtube.com.  She is a certified dermatologist in Houston and has many educational videos on your skin concerns.  Each video she posts has a video guide so you can scroll through her list and find one you want to watch as she posts everyday and some of them are vlogs that she shares with her viewers on her day.

Also, find a decent sunscreen and use it every single day.  
Antonia
35 posts
Thanks guys! Really appreciate all of this advise, will definitely look into it all xx
clairelouise
134 posts
We have the same skin type so I know how hard it can be! I’ve tried every oil under the sun and to be completely honest with you - I don’t use any of them anymore. The only oil I ever actually liked was jojoba - it can be fantastic for oily skin as it mimics the body’s natural oils which then leads to less oil production! Give it a try if you’re really keen to add an oil but I wouldn’t say you actually need one. To combat oily sensitive skin I would recommend Oxygen 2 in 1 Cleanser (it’s fantastic!) plus a light weight everyday moisturiser. Neutrogena Oil Free Lotion is great as it’s light and absorbs quickly. For any breakouts you may get just dab a small amount of Sudocrem on the spot before bed - it’s a miracle worker! One thing I always recommend to oily skin girls is not to strip your skin. Gentle products rather than those targeted towards acne or oil as they will strip the skin dry and thus you will produce more and more oil. It’s a hard life! 
Antonia
35 posts
Thank-you! Just thought i would let you all know - i have found the most AMAZING oil in the world. I was given a sample of it about a week ago after i wrote this post, and was extremely hesitant to try it out for all of the reasons i stated above. In the end i just thought why the hell not lets give it a go, so i did, and i am so thankful i decided to!!

It is by the brand InnisFree and it is their Green Tea Seed Oil (a Korean beauty brand!). I tried it the first night and thought it was a fluke the next morning when i woke up with no reaction or pimples, so i tried it again, and again, and again, and still - no reaction! I ended up finding a full sized bottle on the Skin & Glow website and it just arrived yesterday. 

It has really smoothed out my skin and is plumping out the fine lines that i have, i am in total dis-belief!!! It almost feels like more of a drier oil, meaning that when i put it on it soaks in extremely fast and then does not leave the oily feeling. I also wake up in the morning with no oily residue on my face at all as the oil has totally sunk in. another bonus! Still unfortunately have the orange peel look around my nose, but as for all of the other concerns it seems to really be helping me out. I could almost jump for joy - the universe was definitely listening to me when i first wrote this post ha ha! 
Imoshen
461 posts
Oh cool!  Thanks for the update and review of the product.  

I have a sample of this myself and wanted to try it but I'm a bit apprehensive to as fragrance is quite high on the list.
Antonia
35 posts
So strange because the oil does not smell too great at all ha ha! Its quite 'earhty/natural' smelling

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!