Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Best treatment for ingrown hairs?

31 posts, 21 members
abba
6 posts
I seem to get really bad ingrown hairs after waxing (brazilian and also my legs)! I regularly exfoliate too. I was just wondering what everyone thinks is the best product/way to treat them?
chikoboo
3402 posts
What do you use to exfoilate? I thought I was doing good using a salt scrub but then I starting using a crushed up nut scrub from The Body Shop and it reduced the amount of ingrown hairs majorly.  Also I found a product on iherb by Jason for razor burn but it does wonders for ingrown hairs too, I have none now between the exfoilation and this gel (which I use as a shaving gel then as a cream for moisturing the legs afterwards)

Natural shaving gel      
triffid
151 posts
Have a look out for L'oreal perfect skin which comes with its on wee scrubber too.This accentuates the action of the exfoliator.Or use a loofah or the exfoliating gloves inbetween using a product.
Its usually recommended  that you do it more often before waxing but I think that hairs usually grow at different times and that makes it harder.

Do you leave time for your hair to grow to a good length before waxing?Hair is better being a certain length so more will be removed
Mila
1209 posts
I used to get ingrown hairs all the time mostly under my arm for some reason, i've started using a homemade scrub and making sure I use a gel or foam shaving cream rather than conditioner or something - for some reason this seems to help or it could be coincidence but I havent got one in ages :)
kirstygore
13 posts
I too get ingrown hairs, but they never get too bad and as soon as Ive dug out the culprit they clear straight away. I know this is gross but I actually enjoy digging them out! Its like popping a huge big white zit!
Unfortunatly for me I think im predisposed by genetics
Kia
550 posts
I recommend Rub Rub Rub by Lush. Warm up your skin by soaking it in hot water for 5 minutes (the longer the better) dry it off, and then scrub with rub rub rub - ahh works amazing! 
MicheleC
419 posts
I use exfoliating gloves, they are really good and don't cost a heap. Exfoliate regularly and don't wait until they ingow. If they are really bad you may have to get in with a sterilised pin and sort it out like a splinter. They can be wicked when they grow under several layers of skin and no amount of exfoliating gets them to the surface.
Steph_xo
28 posts
Im forever getting ingrown hairs and they definitely annoying and frustrating. Ill definitely be trying so of the recommended products. Thanks for posting this hun.
Macs
5351 posts
I get ingrowns as well, never treated them before. Il have to invest in a exfoliating grove.
Kenns
85 posts
Exfoliating gloves are cheap and so effective! I like them because they do the job but don't add any products to your skin so you don't have to worry about irritation or putting anything on your skin which will clog pores and makes ingrown hairs worse.
lenarose
313 posts
A combination of exfoliating mitt and also using a product called Bump Eraser I got at my salon seemed to work well for me
george
150 posts
I use an exfoliating glove and a product I got from my salon too! It's called Depileve Folisan!
beautygramnz
19 posts
It seems that I am going to have to get myself an exfoliating glove ASAP! Thanks for the tips xx
shazatron101
5112 posts
bringing this back because i get sooo many ingrown hairs now, and they're all usually in my armpits. I HATE THEM. 

any other advice would be amazing!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Shaz, the lady who does my waxing recommended that I use an exfolitaing glove and the Bump eRaiser Concentrated Serum (it's in a spray bottle), and those two combined works wonders for my ingrown hairs.  It has to be the spray-on serum and not the medi-paste.  Apparently the spray on serum helps prevent ingrown hairs, whereas the paste it meant for use on already stubborn ingrown hairs that you can't get out.  

I hope that helps. x
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I know this might sound weird, but I exfoliate my armpits with an exfoliating glove.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
This is a really random one but I've just been reading in a skincare group that I belong to that The Ordinary's glycolic acid toner gets rid of ingrown hairs and prevents odours!

Not a very helpful suggestion as it's so expensive (but so worth it and a permanent solution!) is laser hair removal!
Sophia
203 posts
I get ingrowns on my legs and bikini line after epilation.  I've got both the spray on serum from Bump eRaiser, and the Medi Paste, and the paste is by far the better product.  The spray on stuff doesn't seem to do anything, certainly doesn't prevent them.  Since I shelled out for a bottle of the stuff I'll keep using it, and I spray it on after an epilation and rub it in as directed - it feels a bit like disinfectant, stingy. 
The Medi paste will noticeably kill the infection in an ingrown over a few days.  The bump goes down and reduces till it's a sort of shadow.  By that time I've lost interest in treating it, so it could probably kill it further if you pay attention!
Unless you've had success with the spray on stuff before, I don't recommend it, go straight for the hard stuff!  
Note - after my first tube of Medi paste ran out, I couldn't find it so I emailed the company.  They asked where I live, and then told me who the local stockists were.  The closest was a random beauty salon which I wouldn't have otherwise gone to, so definitely pays to ask instead of spending all weekend hunting through shopping malls if it's not online!!
I wonder if it's at Chemist Warehouse... hmmmm here's hoping.

RamblingRose
1280 posts
@Sophia, I use the serum and it works. It won't work as a once-off treatment, it has to be used daily for a week to prevent ingrowns.  I've had a few chats with the beautician who does my waxing, about ingrown hairs, and she recommended that I exfoliate every second day, and use the serum once per day for a week, starting the day after waxing (or epilating).  The serum contains fruit extracts that help to soften the skin and prevent the hairs from becoming ingrown, as the skin is softer and the hairs can poke through.  I do find that if it miss one or two days of using the serum that I will get ingrown hairs, but if I remember to use the serum for an entire week,  I only get one or two ingrowns, and not a whole forest of them.

My hubby has also started using the serum after shaving, as he used to get awful ingrown hairs on his neck.  He puts the serum on as an after shave, and since he started using it a few months ago, he's hardly had any ingrowns, and says his skin doesn't get as itchy as it used to when the hair starts to grow back.  
tabucutie
1811 posts
Reviving as this has become a huge problem for me recently. I used to use the Bump Eraiser serum a  few years ago but that stopped working so I changed to Ingro Zero that I get from my wax lady. This  worked amazing all year but doesn't seem to cut it anymore. I exfoliate every second day. I haven't used a exfoliating glove specifically,  but will pick one up.

I'm just wondering are there any processes or products anyone can recommend?
shazatron101
5112 posts
Im still having problems with this myself. I get them in my armpits and theyre so damn itchy all the bloody time!!! /cryface. 
i was secretly hoping id get the IPL (who wasnt!?) To see how itd work on them and if i could finally be rid of them lol but alas i did not and that machine is too spendy for me to buy in real life :'(
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I still use and exfoliating glove (on armpits, bikini line and legs) to get rid of ingrowns, and then the Bump eRaiser Concentrate Serum for a few days, usually 3 days in a row. 

The Bump eRaiser Serum does have a 12 month shelf life after first opening, and it is definitely not as potent and doesn’t work as well if it’s been open for longer than one year.  If your bottle of serum is older than 12 months, I’d recommend getting a new bottle, as that may be why it’s not working any more. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Hey Shaz! Me too to be honest, I thought maybe IPL would still get rid of the hair but not give me the ingrown hair situation. Atm i'm kind of resigned to manual labour to get them out. I think be a genetic thing to possibly? Being an islander and stubborn hair etc. Uh well.

@Silvene: This current bottle I have is a couple of months old. So i'm not sure if that's a contributing factor? I'm really good of keeping track with expiry dates of all my products (I literally have a list)

tabucutie
1811 posts
Bit of an update: Got all the ingrown hairs out, have been using an exfoliating glove and exfoliating scrub every second day along with ingro zero and have seen a vast improvement. Hopefully I have found a soloution and it's long lasting. Fingers crossed!
Sophia
203 posts
I found the Bump Eraiser Medipaste worked much better than the serum. I think the serum/spray is more of an Infection Maintenance or Prevention programme rather than a treatment for an actual ingrown. 

tabucutie
1811 posts
Thanks @Sophia for the recommendation.  I'll finish the one i'm using and I'll buy the paste and see how that compares.
Sophia
203 posts
Last time I looked, it was only on their website or in the lookfantastic online store. Hard to find but worth it. That stuff will fix all sorts of skin blemishes!
maria4meyer
8 posts
Any particular exfoliating gloves you ladies would recommend? Also, where to purchase. I get bad ingrown hairs on my bikini line and its embarrsaing especially with summer approaching. Can these gloves and or products be used in sensitive areas as I dont want to make it worse
siouxsannah
261 posts
Soap & Glory sell exfoliating gloves. You can get them from Mecca. They are easy to use, and not too rough. I think they would be okay for sensitive areas. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I’m currently using a pair of exfoliating gloves that I bought from The Warehouse.  They’re not as rough as The Body Shop ones, but they do exfoliate and help get rid of ingrowns. 

I use exfoliating gloves all over (legs, underarms, bikini) and I’ve never had a problem with it.  The nice thing with the gloves is that you can control how hard or gently you want to or need to rub.  I also use a combination of patterns to try work the hairs out, so first up and down, then side to side, then in an anti-clockwise circle, lastly and a clockwise circle, it seems to help for me. 
lifeissupa
35 posts
I have so many little bumps on my legs and they are all ingrowen little hairs. 
has anyone tryed the nads ingrow?
Hitting the shop this week to get these pesky ingrowens sorted. Stoked to have read thro all tthis post.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!