Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

SOS!! SAVE MY SCALP!

10 posts, 9 members
meimei
81 posts
Hey ladies,

Having a few dramas with my hair recently :( Its been flakey and itchy and just plain out misbehaving gross! (well scalp you are definatly on santas naughty list this year). Has anyone got some remedies they can recommend? And I literally mean I will almost anything its driving me bonkers! 

RachelM
345 posts
The only thing I can think of is use any products with Tea-tree essential oil in it, I have a friend who has this problem and shes tried all the anti-dandruff products and they haven't really worked until she added a few drops of tea-tree into her shampoo and its worked for her.  She also used a special tea-tree shampoo not sure of the name will get back to you. :)
gtsgrl
169 posts
Are you using supermarket brands?  Some of those are not good for the old itchy scalp.  Sometimes even just changing the brand will help.
You could try the heali kiwi from Sorbet, I haven't tried it yet but have just ordered it today as I have the same problems and since I've switched to Sorbet's frizz wrangler I've found the itch to have subsided considerable and the flakiness has lamost gone.

Tea tree oil generally helps but I don't really like the smell of it.

A couple of moths ago my scalp got that itchy that I had to go to the doctors and get a lotion called locoid that helped within 2 applications - It smells like straight alcohol and stings a little but it did work.
100_percent_ash
488 posts
I know exactly how you feel I have suffered from this for years. I always feel so gross and nothing ever seems to cure it.

Some things I have had (limited) success with:

*oil applied to the scalp and left overnight. Coconut is best but olive is great too. Wash out the next morning

*don't wear hats

*wash as infrequently as possible, I'm down to once a week and my hair and scalp have never been better. The more you wash the more you need to wash and your hair will go into overdrive producing oil when you wash too often
Kellie
570 posts
I know how you feel - I get this every so often and it's started up again in the last week (I'm wondering if it's to do with being all hot and sweaty, yay summer!)

I use the Ecostores anti-dandruff shampoo and it works a treat. 

I hope you find something that works for you :)
Sparkles
45 posts
I've always in the past had issues with my scalp being itchy, flackey and sore. Also when my scalp was playing up it also seemed to make my hair look gross, oily and limp. It would be so irritated that some nights it would keep me awake in bed. I stayed away from supermarket brands as they seemed to over cleanse and irritate my scalp, and when I tried more natural products it seemed to not cleanse enough and I still had the same problem plus really limp oily hair and I needed to wash my hair often. Even though I'm on a budget being a student I used to save up for salon products which did help for awhile but eventually I found them to be too nourishing and leave build up on my scalp and make my scalp and hair again oily and limp and irritated. I was forever vigorously scrubbing my scalp when washing which only made things worse. I was washing my hair every second day, it would look and feel just bearable on the first day and I could wear my long hair down, but on the second day it would start to be lank and I would always tie it up.

But since reading about a NZ made solid shampoo and conditioner bars called Sorbet I have not looked back. I actually sqweeled with joy once I started using it as within a few washes all my scalp and bad hair days were totally cleared up. I can leave my hair for four days and even more and still my scalp stays happy and my hair looks and feels nice the whole time, I can wear it down the whole time if I like and it still stays nice.

I have tried all the Sorbet range now to work out which bars suit me. It seems that everyone is different and different bars work well for different people. I personally have liked them all and so has my scalp and hair but I particully like Heali Kiwi and Frizz Wrangler. Sorbet offers half sized bars for $11 now so you can try some before buying a full bar. They last sooooo long and are made of salon quality products. My shampoo bar is so great and conditioning by itself that I only use my conditioning bar maybe once a week or two weeks. The maker of Sorbet is has studied chemistry I think at university and has done her research into what to put in and what to keep out and make them pH friendly.

I also use a Sorbet solid cleanser as my face was playing up as my scalp was and it too has completely calmed down.

And lastly, I saw on Sorbet's Facebook page that the maker has also made a cosmetic range so when my make up runs out I'm going to convert to that too as if Sorbet is this amazing I bet the make up is too which will be nice for my sensitive skin.

I hope this helps and you find what works for you, but if you don't I would recommend seeing your doctor and also maybe be referred to a skin doctor to find out the actual cause. My mum did this once and got some treatment which she now knows to use if it ever flares up again but otherwise she is fine to continue to use the products she likes in her hair.
hughes_dre
229 posts
I have the same problem!  Majority of my problem is because I'm not eating enough food with good fats i.e. fish, avocado, olive oil etc.  I've been taking this supplement called Ultra Clean EPA/DHA Plus by BioCeuticals.  This is essentially concentrated oil and after a couple of days having taken two twice a day, it's practically disappeared!!

So maybe it's not related to your shampoo/conditioner but coming from the inside because there's not enough fat in your system which is making your scalp dry?

If anything, I'd recommend taking a supplement you can get from the health store, worked a treat for me!
meimei
81 posts
Thank you ladies I might give Sorbet a crack!I've just purchased some Hair Doctor from Lush as it also worked for a friend so i'll be having a go tonight.
 I don't use supermarket brands so i'm wondering if it is just the change in seasons?

Whatever it is, it NEEDS to go! I'll be trying some tea tree as well if this hair dr doesnt work.

Thanks ladies xx
Imoshen
461 posts
I love what Jayjay has suggested! 

I do believe that Olive Oil is very good for the scalp but can also become too oily and smell a bit, still could be worth looking into every other day or so.

Avoid anything with Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfates in it, this will only make your problem worse and it's in the salon shampoo's as well as the supermarket brands.

If the bars don't work for you, look into Dancoly (you can find at your local shampoo shop).  They use some nice ingredients in their products and they come in a handy pump bottle so one pump is all you need.  I find it doesn't irritate my hands or scalp and leaves my hair soft and less frizzy. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I agree with Imoshen, I had problems with itchy scalp just recently and I honestly though I had nits because I was itching like crazy.  In my Samplebar subscription I got a couple of samples of Dancoly Orange Flower Shampoo and Hair Mask.  WOW, is all I can say, it has made a huge difference and the itching stopped after one application of it, its nice and thick and they smell divine.  I purchased a xmas pack off trade me, there is a lady on there, from a hairdressers.  Her trademe name is bayhairdesign.  I got a Shampoo, conditioner and hair mask all for $49 plus postage.  Its really good :-)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!