Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Monthly Beauty Sample Boxes

50 posts, 22 members
LisaE5
447 posts
I was just wondering if anyone subscribes to these like Glossy Box in the UK. I want to sign up to one but want to know which is best. On another note I just saw ELF is doing one in the US http://beautybundle.eyeslipsface.com/ and boy am I jealous :P
ohlovelynicole
191 posts
Oh darn why doesn't ELF ship direct to NZ :( I've heard of Violetbox, and Sample Bar but I haven't personally signed up myself. I really want to try one of those out though. 
LisaE5
447 posts
I agree, I could always get it through NZ Post YouShop but that could get pricey. I have looked into the violetbox and others but they only seem as though they have samples in them rather than actual sized products like the ELF one has :O
ohlovelynicole
191 posts
Yes it could get quite pricy having it shipped through Youshop even though its every second month.  Sample bar looks a bit better as it seems to have more luxury samples and full size products rather than stuff you can essentially pick up free from a makeup counter. 
LisaE5
447 posts
Oh I have never heard of sample bar, that sounds better with bigger samples etc. How much is it a month? (i'm guessing its monthly)
ohlovelynicole
191 posts
Sample bar is $25 a month with free shipping :)
LisaE5
447 posts
Oh that's pretty reasonable considering it has free shipping. Do you know anyone who buys it?
nelliebelle
113 posts
You could check out Sample Bar unboxing videos on youtube. They show you what type of items you get in the boxes. It's only $25 and usually you get a full sized item worth at least $25 and then the rest is a bonus. I haven't signed up yet but really want to. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiy8RtoLBt0
ohlovelynicole
191 posts
I've only seen Shaaanxo and Anna Louise review them on their youtube channels, so I don't know anyone personally that has. I'm tempted to buy one as a one off. 
LisaE5
447 posts
nelliebelle- thats quite a good idea. Yeah same but I wanted to do some research before buying it :P
LisaE5
447 posts
Oh can you do that with Sample Bar? Thats pretty good because if you dont like it you are not locked in
Nishu
374 posts
I want to subscribe too but I when I look at the price companies are offering them, I feel ripped off. Just a quick comparison, in India, they have one called vellvette box, which is 400 rupees for one month subsciption and you know how it is in New Zealand Dollar, roughly $4. I am thinking of subscribing to the Indian one when I go to India next year, 3 monthly for just $25. I wish they did shipping to NZ, I'd subscribe for an year :)

Nishu
www.lipsnberries.com
ohlovelynicole
191 posts
Wow nishu that is way cheaper than any available here! 
LisaE5
447 posts
Wow that is pretty cheap. What sort of brands do they include?
Xtinastar
165 posts
Im subscribed to both samplebar and goodiebox. Samplebar is $25 a month, and goodiebox is $29.50 a month. I keep thinking id like one over the other and be able to stop getting one, but the thing is...one month sample bar will be really really good, and then the next month goodie box will be good. Im finding tho they send quite similar things, might have to stop them as iv got way to many lipglosses, hand creams etc, u dont get alot of makeup in them other than nail polish and eyeliners. They do seem to be value for money tho....the deciding factor is do you really need the stuff in them tho, you could save the $25 a month for something u really do like and need :)
Xtinastar
165 posts
i just like the suprise of it all :)
Nishu
374 posts
The indian version does send good products, sometimes high end sometimes new unique stuff. They often do Lush as well. They do send full size products as well!
LisaE5
447 posts
Xtinastar- Yeah I thought that might be the case, collecting a lot of one product. I guess they can't send foundation etc as it most likely wouldn't match peoples skin tone. I may just purchase a one-off to see if I like it. Nishu- Wow they get brands like Lush! I am so jealous, maybe you could ask them if they are keen to ship interernationally as with the shipping costs, it is probably less than one from NZ 
LisaE5
447 posts
Nishu- I just went on the Vellvette website and when you select your subscription and go to check out it asks for your country and New Zealand is on the list. I am kinda guessing that means that they ship here :D '

Oh uh I spoke too soon, when I entered my details they then said they don't ship to NZ :(
ohlovelynicole
191 posts
Xtinasta that's what I've been thinking, is it worth paying $25 a month for a few things you might not use or spend that $25 on something you do need / want. I often spend $80 - $100 at a time shopping online every couple of months so I think I might give the boxes a miss and just put the money into that. The suprise factor makes me want to sign up though!
xjayloux
900 posts
I really do like sample bar, i had considered cancelling at one point but they look after their customers really well and value them. I have been sent quite a few gifts through just being a long time member and i always seem to get pretty awesome packs!

You need to personalize your beauty profile so if there is an option you get a pick of what you would really like.. And they know what to send you based on your skin colouring etc!

I have thought of trying goodiebox however im not a fan of the fact it is more expensive for sometimes what seems less luxury brands.. Although this month they had Mor which looked awesome!

Id weigh it up like this.. Sample bar is a place to try brands you would probably never come accross without being a member and honestly i have found new faves through being a member.. And if that are that rare, they will end up being the stockist for you so you can buy again and again.. Their points system is pretty good too!

Goodiebox.. From what i can tell, you get some good stuff.. but its more accessible stuff that you already know about!
LisaE5
447 posts
Thanks Chatondemode for the tips between goodiebox and sample bar. I always would have gone for sample bar over goodiebox but it is always good having another thought. 
lauraisme
52 posts
I have tried both Goodie Box and Sample Bar. I preferred Sample Bar because I found you got better products, and usually at least 1 full size product.
LisaE5
447 posts
Thanks Laura for the advice, looks like it will be Sample Bar when I get around to it
ohlovelynicole
191 posts
That's really interesting to know the differences between the two, and that sample bar stocks the products they send out in their boxes (handy for repurchase).
Wayzie
4 posts
Ive done Sample Bar and cancelled it, foud that I didnt use the samples sent so had no use for it!!
Xtinastar
165 posts
Yep def the surprise factor is the only thing that keeps me going. There's normally 1 product out of 5 that I normally put to good use straight away, the rest is just hanging out in my bathroom. I have also had the problem of getting "close to their expiry date" products.
baileybreanna
119 posts
I was subscribed to Samplebar but recently cancelled. I was hoping there would be more makeup products, but received a lot of moisturisers and 'organic' products. I'm in no way complaining, it was good and you alway receive 1 full sized product worth the $25 or more, just not exactly what I was expecting :) Goodiebox looks quite good too. 
Cat
474 posts
I have just cancelled my samplebar. Last month was really disappointing to me. When you see what overseas sample boxes are like and their prices it makes you feel a bit ripped off. I've also got a draw full of samples that I just don't get round to using. 
MissAimeeJean
267 posts
I am really wanting to sign up to these monthly sample boxes, but am on a student budget so $25 per box each month quickly adds up. Plus I find that whenever I recieve sample sized products for hand cream or shampoo etc (like it seems most of the boxes are filled up with) I never get around to using them. I like normal sized products because I am more inclined to use them. From what I've seen though, the boxes are always presented so pretty, and it must be pretty exciting to get a box each month. 
xjayloux
900 posts
I think what i like about them is they are month by month, so if you dont have the funds to go out or what have you, you dont have the obligation. Its a nice treat once n awhile if you can afford it. I would recommend giving it a go for a month for the excitement =) i love getting my box Monthly! xo
beautyandlouise
102 posts
Sample bar is so expensive. I was signed up to it but wasn't too fussed with what I got. Wish I was in America tho they get heapsa neat stuff! =]
deville
42 posts
Thanks for all of the honest opinions from you all as I'm like everyone else - seeing the advertising but not really knowing which one would suit best and is best value for your money. Interesting comments, really informative.
xjayloux
900 posts
*impatiently waiting for courier to arrive with her samplebar box* waaah =( lol
xjayloux
900 posts
I love my box, hair softening product, false lashes, eyeliner, dr hauschka face masks and skinfood cleanser.. AND discount vouchers <3
Narelle
57 posts
Huh, when I looked into this awhile ago NZ didn't have any of these... I just assumed we still didn't.
xjayloux
900 posts
Sample bar is almost a year old, goodie box is about 6 months old.
gtsgrl
169 posts
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with either.  I tried goodiebox for 1 month and only got samples that I could have received by asking at a make up or pharmacy counter.  I did complain about it as some other subscribers got a MOR product and I felt really ripped off and they swapped my box but I still feel it's money down the drain.
Check out the unboxing on youtube and you'll see it seems to be the same prodcuts time and time again although goodiebox seem to have upped their game recently.
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I am a member of both sample bar and goodiebox. And at the moment I'm not enjoying sample bar that much but am really enjoying goodiebox.
Eloursnz
45 posts
I signed up and recieved the very first SampleBar box and the following 6 or so afterwards till I cancelled as I was becoming a bit of a hoarder and needed to get through products quicker, loved it though. They were the kinda products I use unlike the GoodieBox that I cancelled after the first box.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I am a member of both and really like the differences between them.  A couple of times I have had a double-up, but it was on a product I loved, so it worked in my favour.  Samplebar and Goodie box are different and unique in their own ways.  Samplebar tend to have expensive items in their boxes, which is great to trial them and they are usually a nice size to try, but if you like them, then be prepared to pay top $$$.  Goodiebox on the other hand is probably my favourite, they have a lot of fullsize products in there and usually they are products you could afford and you can buy them on their website and you get reward points too.  Samplebar also give you points but have a technical glitch I'm waiting for them to fix still.  So in summary, this is what I think: Goodiebox: More for the average joe, and are affordable if you want to buy the fullsize, they sometimes put more than the 5 samples in there too. Samplebar: More for the high-end category as a few items I have found that I liked, couldn't afford or even contemplate on spending that amount of dollars on. Advice would be to to purchase a 3 month subscription with each one, and then at the end of the 3 month, decide which one you found gave you the most products you would actually consider buying. I buy both because it's like being a kid at christmas and being a fulltime Mummy to 3 children and a fulltime student, I really love to get those special treats each month.  Hope that helps anyone :-)
MissAimeeJean
267 posts
Awesome advice Sazza :-)
lyyysaaarrr
16 posts
Does anyone know of any new boxes other than her fashion box and gem box? cheers
lyyysaaarrr
16 posts
Does anyone know of any new boxes other than her fashion box and gem box? cheers
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I was naughty and just subscribed to her fashion box, will let you all know what its like :-)
lyyysaaarrr
16 posts
Yes please Do!!
Heather
79 posts
I really want to try the sample box idea out, i think i'll have to at some point this year. I agree with all of you saying that you wish ELF would send to NZ, i'd love to try their box!!! 
Kellie
570 posts
I subscribed to Sample Bar late last year - am amping to get this months box!  It's going to be like a monthly present to myself  :)
I got my first Sample Box last month and I am counting down the days til the next one gets here.  Well worth the $25 IMO

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!