Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Auckland Recommendations (a bit BR and a bit NBR)

41 posts, 14 members
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
So I moved to Auckland a couple of weeks ago and am currently checking everything out. I have been to Sephora more than I should and done a few tourist-like things like the Mt Eden Summit. Does anyone have any recommendations from the best hairdressers, to clubs to join, to things to explore, to restaurant recommendations? I’d love to hear them all.
BR-Queenie
261 posts
@itsclearascrystal welcome to the madhouse! Some cool things to do that don't cost the earth.
1. Take the ferry over to Rangitoto for the morning or afternoon. Hike to the summit, come back and enjoy a wine downtown. If you want to go further afield - a weekend or a day in Waiheke over the Summer going to the wineries is a must - Cable Bay is my fav.
2. Grab a bike or a Lime and hit the waterfront. There's a great cycletrack that winds past the port and all the way out to St Helliers if you like. Stop on the was for a cofee at Mission Bay. And it's flat pretty much all the way.
3. Come over the shore and go to Little & Friday's a cafe like no other.  Warning: (You're just not gonna be able to eat anything for the next 6 weeks after)

Enjoy

Love Queenie x

Sonnies
137 posts
Wow all of that sounds great queenie
tabucutie
1811 posts
Welcome to the city! Not sure what you are into but here are a few things I love about living here.
-Beaches! Bethells, Piha (both out west), Long Bay (North Shore), Big Manly, Orewa, Stanmore Bay (those are up near Whangaparoa, also great for a day drive)
-One tree hill (even though the tree has been gone for like 20 years I think) it's scenic and you get a nice view of Auckland.
-Bald Eagle Diner in Mission Bay (CBD) I love it there, it's a lil American style diner.
Kimrose
1419 posts
Mission bay is an absolute must! The zoo is an awesome place as well. Welcome to Auckland 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I will keep an eye on this thread as I am flying to Auckland on Friday for the first time ever :-) Was supposed to be for Metallica so that sux but now got 2 days to fill.
Sophia
203 posts
When it's a bit warmer- snorkelling at Goat Island, and if you like critters, visit Ti Point Reptile Park on the way past.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Thanks Guys, some great suggestions :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
Waiheke Island
Hunua Falls
West Lynn Butterfly garden
ALL the festivals 
Wynyard quarter and silo park, especially at the weekend in the summer when the market opens
Night noodle market in a month or so
Botanic Gardens
Long Bay
Takapuna to Milford walk

too many restaurants to name them all! 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Trudi your hair, rocking it! So many great things to do :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
Thankyou!

and yup, hard to get bored in Auckland :)
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Hey ladies. I'm currently packing for Auckland this weekend. Just wondering is it cold at nights? Should I just pack a bit of everything?
trudijoy
8375 posts
Lisa i feel the cold when i'm asleep, but i'm fine at the moment with just a duvet for sleeping.  

It's definitely layers weather - I tend to be in jeans or a skirt and knee tights, with a light summer top and a cardigan handy atm.  You won't need anything super warm but you will def need a couple of sweaters or cardigans etc in your case.

Temps are kinda 17-23 during the day, dropping down to maybe 12/13 at the lowest at night, but it's very windy, and we're getting suprise showers that are quite heavy.

Hope that helps!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Cool thanks Trudi that's very helpful! I'm trying to pack light but my suitcase is chocka block lol. Might need to start again :-)
trudijoy
8375 posts
lots of shops in auckland :p
shazatron101
5112 posts
Depending on where youre coming from auckland might be darn hot for you lol. Living in taranaki i found auckland unbearable lmfao
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Lol I'm sure it will be shop overload for me :-) Im in Nelson/Tasman so it gets really hot here. I know this weekend is about 27/28 degrees.
Sonnies
137 posts
I was in ackland yesterday doing visa stuff  i was in a jean and top and it was pretry cold for me. Its a total madhouse. I just can not get use to the busy lifestyle down there. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Yesterday it was windy but very sunny with heat. Today it is currently cloudy with rain I think. I'd go for layers. Something that will keep you warm but can be removed easily if you heat up.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I’ve definitely been adding and shedding layers (and rain jackets). The wind is also comparable to Wellington’s at the moment. Gotta love spring, it’s 4 seasons in one day weather.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Yup sums up auckland weather in a sentence, very much all over the place these days. Quite pleasant the last few days though. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Yes today has been very nice. Last night we went to the new Archie Brothers arcade. It was pretty cool but super duper packed and loud. Having a rental car has made it so much easier to explore. I've only driven once though as it's too crazy for me. I'm just used to 2 lanes lol not 6!
MareeB
5244 posts
It's been fantastic down here in North Otago today. Now my dopey neighbours are letting off fireworks in the daylight. My cat is soooooo impressed .....
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Hahaha yes Lisa-Lou exactly what i thought the first time i came to Auckland. Terrible traffic and too many lanes hahahahaa. But getting use to it slowly.... Hahaha seriousMaree?.. Fireworks in the day light... Interesting... hahahahaha =D
tabucutie
1811 posts
I'm used to the lanes of the trafic here so very comfortable driving. But I suppose you feel about Auckland how I felt about Hawaii with 8? lanes of traffic on the motorway and I wasn't even driving, being a passenger was nerve racking enough.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Omg I would have a meltdown with 8 lanes! Just flew home today. Was great exploring a city I've never been too before.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Hope you had a great time @Lisa-Lou!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Thanks tabucutie :-) It was nice but I got some terrible news over the weekend so going through a really tough time :-(
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Sorry to hear that Lisa-Lou :-(
MareeB
5244 posts
I hope you're ok Lisa-Lou xx
trudijoy
8375 posts
Sorry to hear that Lisa - sounds like bad timing as well as bad news 
Sonnies
137 posts
Good luck lisa lou hope everything's fine
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Thanks all you lovely ladies. My brother had an accident in the weekend and has been in a coma since. It's devastating and I am so heartbroken. Praying for him xxx
trudijoy
8375 posts
Ah Lisa that's horrible. Sending healing thoughts x
shazatron101
5112 posts
Oh Lisa thats absolutely awful. I'll keep him and your family in my thoughts, and i hope he wakes soon. We're always here if you need an ear xx
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Ditto what these guys said. Healing thoughts to you, your brother and the rest of your family. Hope things get more positive soon Lisa-Lou.
BR-Queenie
261 posts
Sending you heaps of positive thoughts Lisa and thinking of you. xoxo
MrsO
196 posts
Lisa, hope your brother is going to be fine, sending positive thoughts  for a full recovery.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Thank you all for the kind words and support. I really appreciate it. It is nice to have something to distract me xx
siouxsannah
261 posts
Oh Lisa, that is really sad. I really hope he makes a full recovery.
MareeB
5244 posts
My thoughts and prayers are with you, your brother, and your family Lisa-Lou xx

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!