Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Sydney (BR and NBR)

38 posts, 8 members
MissQT
1547 posts
I'm going to Sydney (and Wollongong) at the end of next week and want to know where the best places to shop are and the best things to do there. I'm only there for a couple of days to visit family so won't have much time for shopping etc and therefore need to plan where I want to go. Sephora will definitely be on the list. I thought there was a previous thread on this but I can't find it. Thanks!
trudijoy
8375 posts
God I love Sydney. Are you staying in the CBD?
MissQT
1547 posts
haha I knew you would be the first one to comment! And yes, Darlington? I'm not sure what's in woollengong but hopefully I can find some chemists or Priceline as I hear that's good.
trudijoy
8375 posts
going to bed but here's a start of places to check out...

CBD

- Priceline (of course) - there are a LOT of these in the Sydney CBD and they are amazing

- My Chemist Warehouse - not quite as good but still a great place to pick up dirt cheap basics, basically looks like a parallel importer but sells things that the department stores are giving up on - older stock etc

- Myer - accessed from Pitt Street, straight across the road from Sephora. Great makeup counters, there's a Mecca in there too but the better one in the CBD is in the Queen Victoria Building

- Sephora - there are 4 in NSW; I've only been to the CBD (Pitt Street) one but it's good (not that I've been to other Sephora's but still. Makeup and fragrance on the ground floor, hair and skincare etc on the upper floor.

- Forever 21 - cheap American chain store a bit like H&M, but they sell super cute accessories, blenders etc as well as basic clothing staples

- Victoria's Secret - the CBD one is in Queen Victoria Building, one level up from the ground floor, and near the Starbucks. Perfume, lotion, some makeup items. I love their fresh faced brightening gel cream.

- Mecca Maxima - the CBD one is in the Queen Victoria Building on one of the upper levels, I think one down from the very top. It's pretty good, and many of the brands stock in Myer Mecca now as well, so if they don't have a shade you need in QVB they might in Myer

- David Jones - one block over from Sephora in the other direction, Castlereagh St I think. More high end, think Smith and Caugheys or Kirkcaldie and Stains.

- Sportsgirl - Pitt Street Mall, great little makeup etc items for quite cheap - the coffee scrub, nail polish, lippy, bronzer and eyeshadows i can vouch for. Clothes aren't that cheap there but they do have reasonable sales.

Daisou - there are a few in the CBD and a bigger one in the Central Park mall, about 2 blocks up George Street from Central Train Station. Everything in there costs $2.80 and it's fantastic - I shopped these all the time in Japan, and go in Australia and here in Auckland.

Ally clothing is a fave of mine, there is one in World Square and one in Central Park.

I'd recommend walking right up George Street, and going out to Paddy's Market, and to the outlet mall really close to it, Market City. You can then go through Chinatown to Darling Harbour, and have a drink or something to eat down there. If you're there on Saturday night they do an incredible fireworks display.

There are gorgeous buildings if you veer off the main streets slightly - Hyde Park is gorgeous, and the wee bar there is lovely for a drink in the sun.

One of my fave places on earth is Circular Quay, with the Harbour Bridge and Opera House. Take the ferry, it's only about $6 to go from Circular Quay to Darling Harbour, and it goes past the Opera House, under the Harbour Bridge, docks at Luna Sea amusement park, then makes it's way to Darling Harbour. Manly is a great ferry trip as well, lovely beaches.

That's just the central stuff, off the top of my head! I also love Chatswood and Bondi
trudijoy
8375 posts
lol sorry about the novel.

Also DFO Homebush is pretty good if you can get out there. :)

Darlington's reasonably handy, it puts you not too far out of town, and the train service is pretty good
MissQT
1547 posts
wow thank you so much Trudi! You've given me some great suggestions which I will look into. I've heard about Paddy's market so might try and go there. Chemist warehouse sounds good. I love discount goodies. The ferry ride sounds good too.

sorry, I'll actually be in Hyde park Darlinghurst, I got mixed up with Darlington lol. I've never been to Sydney so this will be my first time.
trudijoy
8375 posts
ah that's a little more central. Sydney is great, plenty to do, good shopping, scenery, food, drink and I love the vibe there :) Feel free to check in if you want any more info :D
trudijoy
8375 posts
oh just a warning too that the coffee in Sydney is a bit hit and miss (if you're a coffee drinker!). Def check out reviews etc first - I mostly just stick to Starbucks or Gloria Jean so I know what I'm getting - unlike Melbourne where all the coffee is good! The Zumbo in Queen Vic is good, as is the small waterside cafe on the left as you walk down Circular Quay towards the Opera House and I'm sure there are other places that are good, but it's the one thing I'm always a little let down by in Sydney haha
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Omg, Zumbo! Never mind Zumbo for coffee, just go there for the cakes! (Even if it's just to look). Actually, the only bad coffee I had in Melbourne was at Zumbo. But, oh! The cakes!
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I've only been to Sydney once years ago so I'm not sure what they've got in terms of shopping. But have fun :)
MissQT
1547 posts
ooh Zumbo, I didn't realise he was in Sydney. I might try and go there. Gotta try those famous macarons haha. I also want to go to Koi, the dessert bar that Reynold from Australia Masterchef set up. Anyone been there?
MissQT
1547 posts
And what's the best way to travel to and from the airport. I was thinking of getting a shuttle, would you have to book beforehand? I know there are buses and the train too, and I think there's a train station not too far from Hyde park where I'm staying.
trudijoy
8375 posts
the train by far, it's less than $20 into the city and they're really easy to use, even with luggage. Uber if you can't be bothered with the train, but honestly, the trains are easy as. Plus depending on what time of day you're arriving, traffic can build up... not an issue as much with the trains :)

and yeah there are a couple of train stations at Hyde Park - St James is in the middle, and Museum is on the southern corner when you head out to Bondi.  Town Hall station isn't too far away, a few blocks i guess.  You should be fine with the trains :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
never been to Koi, and never eaten at Zumbo, they look pretty but I don't have a sweet tooth and 95% of the time i'll just wander off in search of something savoury. Zumbo is in the Queen VIctoria Building, in the middle- ish on (i think) the ground level floor, or one up from there ;)
MissQT
1547 posts
Ok thanks Trudi, the train sounds pretty easy. I'll look out for Zumbo if I head to queen Victoria :)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I, on the other hand, have a very sweet tooth! I went to Zumbo Cafe in Melbourne for breakfast and then back for afternoon tea. My only regret is not being in Melbourne longer as I really wish I'd had the lemon meringue as well now but I just couldn't eat any more lol. 
MissQT
1547 posts
If I go I'll definitely take some photos for ya soozie and we can drool over them when I'm back haha. 

So ive had a wee look into the trains over there. Do you need an opal card to use the train? Or can you pay by cash.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
There's plenty to already drool over on his Instagram account!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Cash is fine, you just buy a ticket before you go through the gates. You can buy a card; i haven't ever bothered
MissQT
1547 posts
great thanks Trudi. 

Ah I don't have Instagram Soozie. Might have to think about getting it lol...
MareeB
5244 posts
Soozie I really want to go out for smoko with you! my kind of girl...#sweettooth :)
Macs
5351 posts
I've never been to Sydney before. My cousin and his missus stay there. Would love to go to Zumbo . And mr zumbo is kind of hot lol 
trudijoy
8375 posts
haha did you see he's coupled up with one of the chicks from last seasons MKR Macs?

Nelly, of 'JP and Nelly: lovebirds' - the two who were sickeningly cutesy.... Nelly's now with Adriano, all a bit scandalous lol
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I watched a series about Adriano showing behind the scenes at his patisseries on Choice awhile ago. He came across as a really lovely person and I've been a fan every since. 

Maree I bought back more chocolate from America than make up! The good stuff (Ghirardelli,   See's) not the rubbish American chocolate we get here. And the makeup I did buy was a Too Faced palette which is chocolate scented anyway lol. And I made chia pudding tonight as needed to use up some coconut milk. I put so much cacao in it....oh my! Amazing with raspberries! 
Macs
5351 posts
I didn't know Mr Zumbo was with someone. Sydney sounds fab. Have fun :)
MissQT
1547 posts
lol I didn't know that Trudi. I remember that team on MKR
Julieal
915 posts
Wollongong is a lovely place and also has some really nice shopping and much more relaxed than Sydney -Have an awesome time.
trudijoy
8375 posts
information courtesy of Australian gossip mags :p
trudijoy
8375 posts
information courtesy of Australian gossip mags :p
shazatron101
5112 posts
Here's Cap. Buzzkill to ruin everyones fun :P I really don't like Zumbo hahahaha. I didn't like his TV show either, and I really didn't like his female co-host - hated her on MKR too. Lol 

Enjoy Sydney MissQT - I've never been but I know where to go if I ever need information! Trudi! lol :P 
MareeB
5244 posts
Ah well there's nothing like a chocolate holiday Soozie! My sister bought me some chocolate products from Melbourne - they are diiivine,  the body wash and soap really smell like chocolate. The soap looks like a big solid easter egg! And if there's some of the edible kind going, well, all the better :)
MareeB
5244 posts
I don't know who Zumba is, but I used to live in Sydney and I loved it. Great shopping, and I found the people really welcoming back then.
Macs
5351 posts
That's nice of your sister Maree. Four weeks clean eating and this talk of chocolate is very tempting. Its working I'm loosing the weight.
MissQT
1547 posts
I agree Shaz. I love his baking and his talent, but I too hated his TV show (more the way it was produced, looks similar to the American version of sweet genius which I hated), and nelly also annoyed me on MKR too.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
It's all over Instagram too now Trudi. 

Shaz, I love his co-host Rachel Khoo! Especially the show she did from her apartment in Paris. 
Macs
5351 posts
I'm a fan of zumbo and co host. I watched her French tour and her cooking is amazing especially her french cooking :)
MareeB
5244 posts
Great job Macs, four weeks is awesome. I'm proud of you!
MissQT
1547 posts
Rachel koo is lovely. I used to watch some of her tv shows, little Paris kitchen. Again, I have nothing against the hosts at all I just hate the way his program is produced.

i just arrived in Sydney and already made my first beauty purchases...

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!