Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Solution or stained nails?

11 posts, 11 members
Marcel
335 posts
Hello ladies, got any tips for cleaning up very stained nails? It's got to be because I paint my nails so often, every 2-3 days, they were never that yucky stained color when I seldom painted them. I usually apply a base coat but it doesn't seem to prevent staining at all!
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I paint my nails a lot and have the same problem. I have no idea why base coats don't prevent this...I always thought that's what they were for lol.

Anywho, the only solution I have come across is using a buffing block on my nails after I take my polish off. I'm yet to find any preventative measures so am intrigued to see if anyone has any tips!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Well the googly machine reckons you can do lots of things! But the one I've seen most on my travels (but haven't tried as I don't paint my nails often) is to soak your nails in lemon juice for 10-15 minutes, and then buff off. I hope it works out for you :-)
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I'm really chicken about wearing nail polish for to long these days as once they stained so bad I had to grow the stain out,  that takes so long. I soaked them in everything I could find even handy andy and nothing yellow nails they looked really horrible. 
Macs
5351 posts
When I did my DIY nail polish I got the worse staining ever. It took me weeks to get it off. I just used nail polish remover and buffed it out.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I also found that waiting for it to grow out was the only thing that really worked. So I now only paint my nails for special occasions.
MissQT
1547 posts
Things like lemon juice can help lighten the stains but it won't completely go away, depending on how bad the stains are. The best option is to let your nails "breathe" for at least a couple of days in between changing colours. Buffing can work as well like mentioned above, but because you paint your nails every 2-3 days I would be careful not to buff them too much as it may wear down the surface of your nail plate.
BeautyCutie
130 posts
I personally find the best thing for keeping nail stains at bay is to let your nails 'breathe' for 1-2 days between manicures. It sounds like an old wives' tale, but from experience it works! 
Ringy
825 posts
I can't let mine breathe- they are so stained it's embarassing. I told off a sales person at the shops because I thought she was staring at my gross nails and she said 'I was just looking at your beautiful rings'! I've found revitail Polish the worst for staining. 
StayClassy-xo
240 posts
Back when I thought regularly painting my nails black was cool I would get the worst staining!  My solution was just to continually keep painting them :-/ so I'm not much help.  But I have heard of different soaks you can use, someone mentioned lemon juice, I've heard of one with baking soda? Maybe this will help? - Top Ten Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Yellow Nails
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Denture tablets work apparently, I can believe that too.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!