Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Celebrity Brand Ambassadors

32 posts, 25 members
MrsRosie
214 posts
Manuka Dr has announced that Kourtney Kardashian is their new brand ambassador - which Im sure will be HUGE for their company. It got me thinking about what products I purchase or consider because of celebrity branding or endorsements. Im a sucker for good marketing!   
Think Kate Winslet Lancome / Emma Stone Revlon / Kate Moss Rimmel.
What products have or are you considering because your fave celebs are promoting it?
MareeB
5244 posts
I don't take much notice nowdays, but I used to buy a lot of Max Factor products when I was young because I loved Jaclyn Smith so much and she was their brand ambassador.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I had liked this brand on FB ages ago, but recently it was Shanxo this and Shanxo that - I'm not about to jump on her and start spouting that she is getting paid for it but it was a bit off putting so I unliked them. Every so often Oxygen does the same with her and I'm just a bit over it :P 
I don't think I buy things because celebrities have them, if anything it puts me off more. I buy what I think will be good for me, rather than who is endorsing it. 
Rajvee2588
221 posts
None honestly... When I am buying makeup or skincare that time I don't see what celebrity is brand ambassador for that... Main point it is good for my skin or going to be.
MrsRosie
214 posts
I agree Shaz - If a brand over exposes a celeb it can make me have the opposite effect on products.

I guess what I was meaning is that it would come down to what celeb you like, as in I wouldnt buy a product if it was a celeb I didnt like (especially if their name was plastered all over it) as opposed to a celeb I really like and admire, then I would feel a little bit special using it - more so if it was their own brand.

MareeB
5244 posts
Oh true MrsRosie, if I didn't like the celeb I'd be totally off the brand!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Celebrity Brand Ambassadors don't really sway my decision when coming to purchase makeup / beauty cosmetics.
Good on Getting Kourtney Kardashian on board, there are people our there that will now be more swayed to purchase their products because of that fact. But for me No, it doesn't affect my decision
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hah! Well in that case Mrs Rosie if I don't like an abassador then yeah I am less likely to buy their stuff, even if the product in question looks alright. Manuka Doctor does look really good though, but I thought that before anyone famous endorsed it (thanks women of BR!) 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I'd probably be less likely to get something the kardashians endorse. But other than that celeb endorsements don't affect my purchase either way.
First Lady
957 posts
Great thread MrsRosie!!

And seriously - Emma Stone for Revlon? Just stunning!

xox
Macs
5351 posts
Hey Rosie, Im a huge Kardashian fan. Love That Kourtney is the face of one of my favourite brands. My other fave is Charlize Theron for Christian Dior.
idomakeupnz
150 posts
I don't follow any celebrities enough to care who's promoting which brand and it doesn't really mater to me if a celeb is promoting something.
However I think this has been a wise move for Manuka Doctor... People either love or hate the Kardashians (I hate them haha) so all of their rabid fans will definitely be buying all the stock off the shelves. It's probably not going to be so great for NZ customers though, I can just see the brand rising the prices because they know people will pay for it as it has a celeb's face on it, which is totally unfair but a lot of companies do it.
I'm like Shazatron though, I was interested in the brand until they started pushing Shaaanxo and sponsoring her videos and now the Kardashian thing, no thank you haha
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
There are quite a couple that I like: Emma stone for Revlon, Barbara Palvin for Loreal, Charlize Theron for Dior, Cara Delevigne for YSL. I wouldn't say I buy the product just because of the celebrity but it does catch my eye and make me look twice.
Koni
444 posts
Celebs have little or no impact on my decision to buy a product. If they could actually convince me that it's a great product rather than just because they use it I'll look as youthful, beautiful etc then maybe I'd reconsider. It's a little hard to buy into when they have a glam squad behind them. Great thread!!!!
I've rarely been swayed to buy a product because it had a celebrity on it. I bought a celebrity fragrance once because of who released it since we have similar tastes in fragrance to start off with and probably will buy more but otherwise, no.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I might take notice of advertising that features someone I respect but I know they get paid and rewarded so take it all with a grain of salt. Celeb ambassadors are just another gimmick imo. I'm ususually put off if they claim the celeb designed it.... Unless they're famous for creating makeup/products then they're amateurs at best.
tannygirl
3392 posts
  I'm like Shaz. Celebrity endorsements don't effect my decision because to me if anything the money that was used to develop a better product is now going to pay the celebrity. And if you can afford cosmetic surgery, high end facials and treatments, high end perfectly applied makeup, an expensive diet plan, every photo of you photoshopped to perfect, etc. I don't think that product is the only thing giving you perfect skin. To me in order to look a certain way it's a combination of what you do and have had done to yourself. Plus no one's honestly checking up on whether the celebrity is actually using the product they endorse as their only product. Honestly a few years back when Proactiv was getting many celebrity endorsements, after I myself personally tried the brand consistently, I honestly don't believe that they actually used the brand they endorsed other than holding it up to their faces looking happy for the advertisement. That stuff wrecked my skin and wallet.
   I've used one of the Manuka Doctor Oils and I really liked it, but I didn't come to that conclusion from seeing who is now endorsing it. And if it does get too expensive as a result then I will look for more affordable options. 
Kimrose
1419 posts
I love, love Emma Stone, I bought Revlon before, but I think she was a great choice.
MareeB
5244 posts
A brand ambassador I like will at least make me notice a product I might not have noticed otherwise. With so much advertising, I ignore most things, but something familiar might at least capture my attention.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I would probably be put off by a celebrity endorsement. I'm more like to buy something off the recommendation of someone on here or a beauty journalist or blogger who I trust to be honest such as Caroline Hirons or Sali Hughes. 
2lilmnkys
106 posts
Same here Rajvee. I chose products according to my needs and not because my fave celebrities endorse them. Although Iam guilty of buying their perfumes or makeups they develop
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I had a re think about this today, no I don't buy products just because a certain celebrity is the face of the product. I won't buy products I don't need and it doesn't encourage me to buy it. However I'm all for celebrities collabing with brands. I would purchase certain products out of support for the brand and celebrity.....does that make sense? Probably two completely different things but yeah.
Macs
5351 posts
I do like the celebrities themselves. I like seeing their style and grasping inspiration from them in beauty looks. Ive never bought something because of them though. If I genuinely liked the product or read a good review that often makes me swing to make a purchase.
Rezee
1964 posts
I think Kourtney is probably a good fit, she is into the more natural brands so it seems like they actually tried to get someone to suit them rather than just any old celeb that woud do it.
I'm not really influenced too much by celebrities these days so it won't have a huge impact on me personally but I don't think it's a bad thing for the company to do.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I love Manuka Doctor products and I think it was a smart marketting move for the brand to team up with Kourtney simply because so many people love to use the products the Kardashians use. Personally, I don't buy a product because of the celebrity associated with it, however, I do find that when celebrities endorse a product, the exposure for that product is increased so it can be a great way to hear about a new product
chikoboo
3402 posts
I feel using a celebrity as a brand ambassador is a very smart move by a company as it is great global exposure, regardless who the celebrity is there is plenty of people who would purchase solely because they say that they use it.  Personally I am not overly swayed either way, if it is a brand I love, or a cute packaged product then 9 times out of 10 I am going to want it, be it endorsed by a celebrity or not however I am not hyped up about it as some would be.  Makeup gurus on the other hand, and limited edition from brands are my lure that I can't break.  
DanaPeriam
17 posts
I am not too worried about which celebrities are endorsing the products however I do think it is cool that Kourtney Kardashian is behind a NZ brand. I enjoy watching NZ youtubers and seeing what they think of products; however since discovering beauty review, I go on here a lot to see what the products are like and if they are suited for me. 
MissQT
1547 posts
yes I saw this too. Celeb endorsed adverts don't necessarily persuade me into buying that particular brand or product, but it does alert me to that particular product or make me more aware of it. So because I know about it I'm more likely to consider it when I'm in the beauty aisle. For me the product itself is what will make me by it.
annanguyen
142 posts
To be honest, I was just about to make an order with Manuka Doctor this week after Kourtney became its ambassador but I thought of waiting until they go on sale. To some extend, celebrity endorsements do affect my decision. 
kirstyj
1732 posts
So if I answered this yesterday I would be saying there is no way I would purchase just because of a brand ambassador, it doesn't sway me either way, I understand why they do it but it doesn't work on me... etc.

HOWEVER this morning on instagram I saw that Estee Lauder and Victoria Beckham are doing a collaboration and I love the match! I like Estee Lauder anyway (I have a beautiful eyeshadow palette from them). And I adore Victoria Beckham, I loved her as Posh Spice in the Spice Girls... I think it has something to do with my resting bitch face that she seems to have permanently. Can't wait to see what they come up with!
chikoboo
3402 posts
Really Kirsty that is pretty cool about EL and Victoria.  I don't class Victoria as a "celebrity" though as she has remained so grounded and humble, keeping herself and her family out of the limelight quite a bit, she also has worked pretty darn hard as a working mum to build herself up out of pop beginnings.  She's inspirational and such a lovely person.  Shall be keeping my ears open for more information about that collab, love EL makeup anyway.
Lutece
1849 posts
Wow that is awesome for Manuka DR! The only thing I can think of purchasing because of a celebrity is Jeffree star lipsticks, but those I still love and adore :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!