Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Ten Long Beeautiful Nails Then, One Breaks/Rips/Splits. What Do You Do?

6 posts, 4 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I currently have all ten of my digits growing, long, healthy strong nails. Then one of my nails have a rip in it and it's only a matter of time before I will have one very short, stubby nail with the soft skin underneath unprotected. Normally when one of my nails breaks I cut the rest of them shorter to make th short one stand out less. What do you do?
   Aesthetics aside, at the end of the day it's just a broken nail and it'll grow back. It's just the skin underneath that needs the nail for protection which is what I'm more concerned about. How do you ladies hold on to a nail that's ripping without having to treat it too delicately? I do chores like weeding, cooking and cleaning so I can't really be super gentle about my nails.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Wrap a bandage / plaster around the broken nail to stop it from tearing further. Keep it wrapped up until it's grown out enough to trim it short without exposing the nail bed (skin under the nail). 

I have patched a torn nail successfully before, using the outer lining of an unused tea bag and some nail glue. Glue a small square of tea bag lining over the top of the tear, top with two coats of nail glue, drying between coats and then seal with clear top coat or paint your nails normally.  It does need to be repaired / replaced every 3-4 days, but I managed to grow out a torn nail like that while on holiday overseas. Only do this if the nail and skin underneath is not sore. 

Other options, if you don't want one nail shorter than the rest and the tear isn't too low down, would be to cut it short and then stick a glue-on tip on that nail to make it the same length as the others (only if the nail bed is not exposed), or have a nail tech sculpt you a hard gel or acrylic extension, so that it's the same length as your other nails. 

If there's any pain, pus or bleeding, just wrap up the nail with a bandage / plaster and let it grow out. 
MissQT
1547 posts
I was going to suggest the tea bag trick too. I've never done this before personally but I've seen a couple of YouTube videos including a video from Leah Light.
Macs
5351 posts
Normally I cut and file the rest of my nails shorter and hope for the broken nail to grow back.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I tried the teabag trick. I didn't have nail glue so I used a base coat to attach the teabag. It seemed to be working but it seems to have ripped again. I'll try painting over with my top coat again and see if that works. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
I tried painting over it one last time but it didn't hold. I guess you need nail glue for teabag nail repairs.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!