Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Do we actually need a toner?

42 posts, 34 members
Nishu
374 posts
I am big on CTM but I recenlt finished my toner and havn't been using any for last 2 weeks and to be honest I havn't noticed any effect on my skin! I have dry skin. Does everyone need a skin toner? Cheers!

Nishu
www.lipsnberries.com
sarebearrrrr
21 posts
Toner basically restores your skins PH levels, its not a must product,its more for oily skin though. :)
Rhiannon135
74 posts
As mentioned toner does restore the pH levels of the skin, but this can also help to prepare it for moisturiser. Because of this there are different types of toners available for different skin types.
However, the cleanser which you use may have been beneficial enough for you by either starting to restore the pH levels or by not disturbing them.
BarbaraMay
131 posts
I used toner when I was a teenager, but thankfully my oily teenage skin is a thing of the past.

I realised I didn't need toner when I used it and felt like Joan Rivers lol....super tight skin!
Nishu
374 posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. keep 'em coming!
ohlovelynicole
191 posts
Totally learnt something new, I didn't know toners were beneficial for those with oily skin. My skin has started getting more oily on my forehead and chin so I'll definitely have to check some out. Does any one have any hoily grail toners or oily / combo skin?
karenmarie280
88 posts
I'm not convinced we need to use toner, I used to use it when I was in my early 20s but to be honest I never really felt it was beneficial. I think like some of the other girls have said if your skin is oily it can help to keep ph levels in check but as you are noticing after not using for a while it isn't essential.
LisaE5
447 posts
I found out though trial and error that if I don't use toner after cleansing, I tend to get around twice as many breakouts and sometimes I dont even get any if I do use toner. I have oily skin so that is probably the case
Diff74
61 posts
Toner not only restores the ph balance of the skin after cleanser but also removes any remaining oils and dirt from the skins surface.  This makes the skin better prepareed to take in your moisturiser.  Buy using a toner you get the most out of your moisturer, and may find that you dont to use as much if not using a toner.
Nishu
374 posts
Thanks Diff. It makes sense :)

Nishu
www.lipsnberries.com
ohlovelynicole
191 posts
I've been researching toners this afternoon and I totally agree with what Diff said. I think I might buy the Simple Toner tomorrow as it has amazing reviews on makeup alley. I'll let you guys know if I do and how I like it :)
LisaE5
447 posts
I agree with Diff, I think I have cleaned my face perfectly, but then when I tone I see the cotton wool is slightly brown/black which I guess is the extra dirt and oil that the cleanser has missed.
skingeek
537 posts
Toner is SO Important. As a beauty therapist, I have many people ask me that. It restores the pH levels which restores your lipid barries so your skin is better able to heal and protect itself from bacteria. It also promotes absorption of serums and moisturiser. Just make sure it's alcohol free- not even people with oily skin should use alcoholic toners, this causes dehydration and makes your skin oilier. If unsure, go get some qualified advice.
colleencanary
764 posts
I dont think there's a yes or no answer to this or even a generic "this is the answer". I've read how some of you ladies find toner beneficial on your oily skin. I have an oily skin and toner is not beneficial to my skin at all! I break out in pimples and no matter what toner it is. All of our skin so different we can only do for skin what our skin allows us to do. I reckon if your skin has been doing fine without toner then clearly your skin doesnt need toner.
niki
20 posts
I never used to think much of toners, I either thought they did nothing or some even felt like they were stinging my skin. But I've recently discovered the Dr. Hauschka range, and just love their Clarifying Toner. I use it after their Cleansing Milk, and it is making a big difference to my blocked and enlarged pores around my nose. It is all natural, smells delicious, feels refreshing and has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. I now look forward to using my toner and would never skip it!
MissAimeeJean
267 posts
I totally agree with you Niki! The Dr. Hauschka Clarifying Toner works wonders! It is specifically forumalted to reduce redness and pore sizes so was a great product for me. Dr. Hauschka is also 100% natural and organic so won't sting or irritate the skin, like some other toners which have quite high alcohol content.
sunelizabeth
410 posts
The Dr Hauschka toner is fab! I absolutely love all Dr H products they are sooo amazing!

Nishu
374 posts
Oh! Thanks for the recommendations ladies.. I can't wait to get my hands on Dr. H's toner! May be it makes a difference to my skin.

Nishu
www.lipsnberries.com
pixie_stylz
228 posts
yup i always use a toner. If you use it daily it just becomes part of your routine 
skingeek
537 posts
Murad hydrating toner is my stable. Anything in a spritz means it's hydrating and gentle. I love my murad one because you can use it to spritz during the day to replenish hydration.
Jeez!  So glad I read this thread.  Thanks to everyone who has put me straight - I really didn't put any importance on toner but now I realise I really should be making an effort to use it every day!
lenarose
313 posts
I've tried a few different toners but haven't found any benefits from them, and some I've found made things worse, like clinque's ones which are heavy on alcohol.

Here's a good read if you want to know about toners: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-care-basics/_/do-i-need-a-toner

That whole website is so full of knowledge, and it's all science based facts, not made up things like you might read in magazines.
Kelli
73 posts
I don't use a toner and know I should, I haven't used one in years, but hear that they have helped with pore sizes etc as well, so next time I see my face care line on sale I'll be picked one up!
hollybeasley
3 posts
Hi ladies
I have never used a toner until now... not sure if its working or not yet but im planning to give it a month? will let you know xx
nessfindlay
36 posts
Toners/or lotions are not always essential with some skincare products (eg cleansers that have glycolic, lactic or ahas in them), they have different functions/and ingredients ie 'SOTHYS' lotions have 'soothing lotions' to restore calm and ph to the skin. 'comfort lotions' for dry , dehydrated skins. 'Clarifying lotions' for oily skins and 'vitality lotions' for normal skin.  They also have the added bonus of prepping the skin for moisturiers, so you don't need to use as much! I also like the idea of using them in a spray bottle for a recharge mist during the day:-)
BarbaraMay
131 posts
I read this the other day:

http://www.oprah.com/style/Unnecessary-Cosmetics-You-Dont-Need-Toner-Foot-Masks-and-More

And apparently toners were only invented to remove the soapy film left behind from cleanser...his was originally i'm sure today's toners probably have a few more benefits!
I never really used toner before about 3 months ago when I started using a Michael Todd one. I find I get less breakouts and also my pore on my nose seem to be smaller too. It doesnt leave me feeling tight at all. It must depend on the type you are using I guess. I never thought it they used to do anythin untill I started using a good one. I have combination skin. 
Iloveperfumes
132 posts
My skin hate's toner - but the best one I have tried is the Simple brand one. But usually I will use rosewater instead - it smells so good!
Cat
474 posts
I also use a Michael Todd toner (the cranberry one, smells so nice!) I have used toners off and on over the years, but definitely find this one to be the best for me. I feel it prepares my skin for serums and moisturisers. 
100_percent_ash
488 posts
I absolutely love the Natio rosewater toner. It's so gentle on my reactive skin as it's alcohol free and smells delicious. I notice the difference when I don't tone for sure
Heather
79 posts
I've tried a toner before and it just burnt my skin and didn't feel like it was really doing anything - I think it was Clean and Clear. Since then I haven't tried anymore, but if they're beneficial to oily skin i'm keen to start. 
Nat_FH
32 posts
So glad I read this thread, never thought much of toners (the one I have tends to make my skin feel like stretched plastic) but I'll look out for one specifically for sensitive skin now for sure!   
RachE14
82 posts
So many good suggestions for me to look into trying, I have found that toner are no good for my very sensitive skin, and the ones I have tried have been to harsh. I found even the simple one too harsh. 
Bayley
238 posts
I've heard that witch hazel makes an amazing natural toner and while I was in the pharmacy the other day I noticed they had a witch hazel-rosewater combination. Has anyone used this as a toner before? Would love to know your experiences as i'm considering giving it a go!
Xtinastar
165 posts
Love my witchhazel toner - i buy a bottle of witchhazel from the chemist which is super cheap, and then i add a bit of lemon juice to it, works wonders!
KnotJustAScarf
43 posts
I swear by witch hazel too :) Way cheaper than buying some pricey toner and works far better for me personally. It works really well on acne or other skin inflammation from experience.
Bayley
238 posts
Awesome! thanks girls I might pick some witchazel up this week
Maimy
76 posts
I don't use toner, but I have dry skin.
itskaz_xo
199 posts
I've never actually used a toner before? But after reading some of these replies, I feel like I want to try it out. Can anyone recommend a good toner?
Angell
182 posts
I have only recently started using toner again (only because I got a free sample and the smell is just awesome!). Do I notice a difference....nah.....will I finish the product, yea! The smell is good so don't mind. Also, I do it at night after I washed my make up off :)
sophie123456
21 posts
I too have never tried a toner and I am now wondering what difference it would make to my skin. Does anyone have any recomendations for a reasonbly cheap one??
tannygirl
3392 posts
My fav toner at the moment is Antipodes Ananda toner. It's smells gorgeous and it's very hydrating doesn't give your skin that tight feeling afterwards. The other one by Antipodes would probably suit more oily skin types as it's more clarifying.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!