Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

17 posts, 14 members
Nicole
23 posts
Does anyone use one? How do you find it? Was thinking of getting one for my teen for christmas so keen to hear some opinions! :)
Imoshen
461 posts
I do and although it causes me problems (ingrown hairs) I still love it!.

If you go ahead with one, see if you can find one that has a light on it as that can show up really hard to see hairs that you've missed.

I have very fine hair so I tend to epilate once a week because they either break or hair has grown back from when it was plucked on a previous session.

To ensure you get a great result I highly recommend Silky Mit which is a very fine sand paper that you gently circulate over your legs to exfoliate dead skin cells (and also helps prevent ingrown hairs).  They come in a three pack from any chemist for around $15 and last for ages!

It does hurt the first couple of times if you don't wax but after that it's only painful if you come across  a stubborn hair or two. 
Tess
47 posts
I've used an epilator for the last 15 years. I only use it on my legs once a week (tried underarms once and nearly passed out!). If you've never waxed your legs it does 'nip' as it plucks the hair out, so imagine that over and over again but you do get used to it. It can also be more sensitive just before your period. I don't feel anything now as I've been doing it for so long and what's left of the hairs on my legs is now so fine and weak. That's one of the good things about epilating, it weakens hair growth over time so they don't grow back as sturdy or spikey! I also continue doing my legs in winter as I notice in summer the hairs are a lot finer.
I would also recommend a good exfoliant for the skin as, like waxing, you can get in growing hairs.
Don't epilate before going out with bare legs as you still get the plucked chicken look which isn't attractive (although that gets less with time)!
Diff74
61 posts
Ive used one for years and find it great.  Well worth investing in rather than paying for waxing, and less hassle than shaving.  But it is something that is not without a little discomfort.  I have a high pain threshold and it doesnt bother me as I had put up with waxing previously.  That said the more you use it the less uncomforable it becomes. But keep up the leg exfoliation to prevent ingrown hairs.
Kellie
570 posts
Oh my gosh this post brought back a traumatic memory ... My Mum bought me an epilator when I was about 16.  I used it once, squealed with pain then asked (howled) 'do you hate me or something?  Why would you buy me that torture device!?' - or words to that effect. I'm guessing they're better than they used to be, but I won't be going there again ;)
I have just started using an Epilator. I'm gonna be honest here, It hurts more than it did when I broke my arm and man that wasn't pretty! It does leave heaps of little hairs behind so I'm probably gonna try waxing :)
Diff74
61 posts
Do it when your just out of the shower or bath when hair fioicle is open, and dust legs with baby powder find this helps with the pain aspect.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I use the Cashmere model by Emjoi. I bought it five years ago overseas and it works pretty well. I use it on my legs. I don't have super legs or anything for that matter but I can tell you that epilating for me is less painful than waxing my guess is because of the pressure of the little rollers that grip the hair. I would recommend that an epilator works best when the hairs are about half a centimetre to a centimetre as they stick up and are easily for the rollers to grip. Don't apply any lotion or oil to the area before epilating as that will make the hairs slippery and get oil on your machine parts making it harder to clean. After you epilate it's nice to apply some lotion or body oil to the epilated area. You may have red dots for awhile after epilating which is normal and should disappear in a few hours to a few days, so the first time you try it out find out how long it takes for the dots to disappear so you don't go to an event with spotty legs.
Katya
14 posts
I got one for Christmas a few years back, from my mum. It was so painful but the more I used it, the higher my pain threshold became and now when I use it, its not really that bad. I would usually use it the night before, if I know I'm going bared legged the next day, as it does make my legs get all red and bumpy. 
Nicole
23 posts
Thanks so much for all the replys... they made me giggle!

But also some very informative stuff.

I think i'll definitely be giving my 16yo one for xmas (thanks flybuys)

I guess I'll soon find out how her pain threshold is ;)
Imoshen
461 posts
Shame you can't upload her reaction from using it the first time :). 

I used mine last night and thought of this thread whilst I pulled out my hairs (it is SO satisfying seeing this little black hair just poking out from your skin only to have it pulled out and find it's actually just over a 1 cm long) and because I've been using it for so long I forgot that it really does hurt the first few times you use it but encourage her to persevere with it because it does get easier the more you do it. 
LisaE5
447 posts
I have thought about buying one before, but I dont think I could deal with the pain very much, I think I'll just stick to shaving haha
I have an epilator and i think its great!! You can buy them at alot of electronic stores like noel leemings etc. I got mine for $120. My one runs on aaa batteries but i think you can get rechargeable ones. When I first used it, it gave me a fright! the little pulling pain of the hairs being plucked, buuuuut after a couple times it stoped hurting and the hairs take alot longer to grow back! If you buy one i suggest get a good exfoliator because epilators tend to give you ingrown hairs.  
kara1365
1 posts
I have used one for years. I purposely have it for those times when I don't have time to go and get waxed. If you are used to waxing it won't hurt, but for those who don't  wax it might take a while to get used to. They do a very good job, but can be time consuming. 
Sarsk
27 posts
I use a Remington epilator instead of getting bikini waxes and honestly, after showering (when skin is more supple, and it hurts less to pluck the hairs) it really isn't that bad. I find that the hairs grow back thinner so it hurts less each time. Also, I get less ingrown hairs with epilation than any other hair removal method.

I think it's a great investment! Far prefer it to creams and other hair removal products as it's quick, reusable and there's no residue.

If you go to Briscoes during a sale they're even cheaper (I got mine for $30 during a December sale)
skingeek
537 posts
Sounds like I need one!!!
Kia
550 posts
I don't recommend epilators to be honest. I've had a horrible experience with them. Yes your skin comes out silky smooth but the rest is torture.  The pain is excrutiating. I'm talking worse than wax, thread, worse than tattooing. It is horrible! You have to angle it right so that it won't pinch your skin either. The bruise I got from that was incredible!  It also causes a lot of in grown hairs, and I got a lot of bumps from it. It also gave me red lumps after I used it. I was hoping they would fade, but they don't. So my hair is replaced with red bumps. Not cool!   You can pick it up from Noel Leeming in the grooming section though 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!