Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

worst ever beauty therapy experience?

11 posts, 10 members
pingalulu
26 posts
hey ladies i am a beauty therapist / newly qualified nail technician and wonder what your worst experience at a beauty salon has been?I actually get so concerned hearing clients previous tales of horror....mostly it is from brazilian waxing...from lack of hygeine to a burnt hoo ha!what have you guys got to tell me?Obviously no need to mention names of the salon or therapist...not encouraging slander. Or which treatments are you most apprehensive about?
pintsize
1072 posts
I had my underarms waxed and the therapist had several goes all at once not in strips (had a few stubborn hairs and it was my first time) and I couldn't put my arms down for a week. They were so badly burnt they would crack and bleed.  Just as well it wasn't before my wedding or in the Bikini region... I remember it hurt so bad.

Also had a therapist over wax my brows... and they took 3months to grow back in
BarbaraMay
131 posts
Ouch Ouch Ouch.

I'm very lucky, my sister is the above beauty therapist, so no bad experiences for me!

Like a good hairdresser you need to be picky about your beauty therapist - you're paying for a service and like anything you pay for you want knowledge, kindness and dedication.  Nothing worse than asking questions and getting uninterested / uninformed response.

I've only just realised the NZ beauty industry isn't regulated - kind of crazy with all the things to consider - safety, hygiene, etc.
lenarose
313 posts
My worst has been when they seemed to miss half the hairs that they were waxing!! Soo bad.

Also, I had a manicure that sucked. They didn't have many polishes available, and they were mostly random/crappy brands. She didn't do enough coats to make it opaque so it looked worse than when I do it myself. The lady had bought the salon from someone else who I had gone to previously and was really good, but I didn't know that until I turned up.

Thankfully I have gone to some really good places, so I always try to review them online.
hughes_dre
229 posts
The worst experience I've had was actually in a Morocco.  A girlfriend and I went to a hamum without fully knowing what to expect.  So when we arrived, we were asked to strip, and put on bathrobes.  We were then taken in to a boiling hot sauna, had our robes removed (and this is an open room so my girlfriend and I were completely starkers in front of each other and these two strangers who were going to clean us down before our massage), and asked to lie down.

The soap they used was super strong, I literally touched my forehead with a knuckle and the soap ran in to my eyes and it was so bad that I could see properly out of it for the rest of the day.  When they cleaned us down, they got in EVERYWHERE!  So I felt pretty violated at this point...

After they cleaned us down, they put us back in our robes and took us to a dark part of the spa where we were laid out on massage tables and they used Argan oil - which was amazing.  That was probably the best part about the whole experience, however they used it on my face and the next day - my face just completely broke out.  And after leaving the spa, covered in oil, going in to 40C+ heat - it was a very uncomfortable experience.

I think if I had known what to expect, I would have enjoyed it.  But since I was in a foreign country where I didn't speak French, I was a little thrown off.

But in hindsight, I can see the funny side of things.  My friend and I still laugh about it - but I wouldn't necessarily go and get another one if I'm ever in Morocco again...
RachelM
345 posts
This gave me quite a good laugh as I remembered past experiences as far back as when I trained to be a beauty therapist, I was a Theraputic Massage therapist but wanted to have a more wider range in the industry.  Ohhh the first underarm wax I had by another student, so slow and painfull but I remember we were just in fits of laughter all the time so probably didnt help.  When I was a Spa Manager part of my interview process was getting them to give me a massage and a beauty treatment, the worst had to be an eyebrow wax, I was very specific in what I wanted as my eyebrows are a great shape and really didn't need much taken off, just a tidy up, she didn't listen at all and decided to give me a remodel, needless to say she didn't get the job, it took months to grow them back.  From then on if anybody did my eyebrows I held a mirror to keep an eye on them, I was told by one interviewee that it felt very intimidating that I was watching her everystep but as I said to her we have many international clients and have a very high standard, they are paying you to do what they what, there paying money for you to do a good job they can do anything they want. If your paying for a service that is going to effect they way you look, and you have never had that person before, of course the client can be a bit nervous its all about making them feel they are getting a great job and doing exactly what they want.  I have friends ask me who to go to but I always say sometimes it can take a while to find the right person for you, its about making you feel comfortable, not just get up on the table and not a word spoken, the therapist should ask exactly what you want, even if you have problems laying down etc etc make you feel comfortable that can help so much.  And yes wish this industry was more regulated, I never employed anybody who couldn't show me certificates and I always called referees, I was actually quite sneaky aswell and would call somebody else where they previously worked, referees can be best buddys.  Gosh I've rambled lol
Lucia
21 posts
My worse experiense was the first time I got my eyebrows threading. When the lady gave me the mirror to check I realised that my eyebrows were different but the lady told me that it was normal with threading. What? One was a curve and the other was cone shape. My hubby had a good fun because I was looking like half of my face was all the time in surprise. The girls at work had a good time too for a couple of months. I still get my eyebrows threaded but never again in that salon.
xjayloux
900 posts
Ive been going to the same place for eyebrow threading for years but when the first lady i ever used to see left they replaced with another woman who was a HORROR SHOW.. She ruined my eyebrows.. They were missing hairs in parts, thin, didnt look good and werent matching. She tried to tell me it was the way my eyebrows grow and that it would take a few times to fix them.. I litterally started having nightmares about it i was so upset. It took me months to get the guts back up to go back.. Turns out several women had, had the same problem and lots of people complained about her so she got the axe.. Its taken a long time for my eyebrows to get back to normal.. Luckily the two ladies that took over after her were really good.
pingalulu
26 posts
So with your waxing experiences did your therapist give you any after care advice? Like for an underarm wax avoid deodourant for 24 hours and soaps ect? I think half the problem is that we are too trusting of people. Most clients are really partiuclar about their eyebrows as they should be..they are constantly on display! I had a client tell me she had gone for a brazilian wax and the therapist had requested that they did not talk to one another as SHE found it uncomfortable. We've had girls come in for  trade testing as part as our interviewing process and we asked her to do a full leg wax.She looked all sheepish and said to us 'ah i've never done a full leg wax before'..coming from an INTERNATIONALLY qualified beauty therapist!!What is the beauty industry coming to ? :(
Angell
182 posts
When I read stuff like this, it makes me glad I'm such a woozy when it comes to waxing. Never had anything but my eyebrows waxed. I do tend to break out a bit after a wax, but a friend recommended I give my forehead a good scrub after a wax and that seems to work.
colleencanary
764 posts
My worst experience was due to the nail salon using cheap products on clients!

I had my nails done with acrylic french tips in the salon...
Firstly the nail technician was so rough with my nails and it felt like she just wanted to the job as soon as possible.
Secondly it was a pretty shoddy job because when i got home i noticed some bubbles in the acrylic gel because of crap application techniques!
Lastly after a week of this these average nail, they started turning yellow!
This was while i was on holiday in Taupo, i noticed the yellow and was just desparate to get these nails taken off at the closest salon.
These guys were so great! They actually felt sorry for me and didnt charge me for the nail removal! Now thats service.
I warn everybody off this salon in Wellington and these when i go into salon I asked how long they had the acrylic gel in store. It shouldnt be older than a year...

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!