Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

makeup brand names you were mispronouncing until you heard someone else say them

16 posts, 8 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
I've just learned that the NYX brand is 'nix' not N-Y-X lol... and it's a fave that i've been using for YEARS.

Go figure
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I was a bit slow on that one too, Trudi! It doesn't help that it's all capitalised. I only clicked when a friend named her cat Nyx and all her cats are named after Greek gods/goddesses. 

L' Occitane is a goodie. I think I've even heard their staff mispronounce it.  Korres I can never remember if it's 'cores' and 'kor-res' but again I've heard people who sell it pronounce it both ways.  
trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah i googled it and figured it out in the end, will have to change my ways :p

Shu Uemura is another one - the number of people i've heard say 'shu umera' annoys me. I'm such a linguist too, if it's not right it bugs me and i HATE not knowing for certain how things are pronounced.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I find Shu Uemura a difficult one even with being a Japanese speaker! That one still gets pronounced wrong even on those "how to pronounce cosmetic brands correctly lists" lol. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I heard Givenchy horrible mispronounced on the news recently. I'm with you - I hate hearing things mispronounced and scream at the tv even if it's a language that I don't speak myself. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
I know, that ones always butchered! And they don’t really advertise on tv or radio so it’s hard to know, sometimes!
Artemis
311 posts
Now that there are so many brands we only see online and not really in stores, it makes it harder too. Lately I've been thinking of Tarte - is it "tart" or "tart, aye?". 
trudijoy
8375 posts
I’m pretty sure that it’s ‘tart’ because there’s no accent like in café or rosé  :)

shazatron101
5112 posts
yeah it's definitely tart, i follow them on insta and the only thing weird about how they say it is their accent :P
tabucutie
1811 posts
I think I have heard tarte pronounced as "tart cha"? Unless that's another brand I am not aware of?
trudijoy
8375 posts
Tabucutie that will be 'Tatcha', wont' it?
tabucutie
1811 posts
Never heard of the brand but I'll Google it
thirtywinks
60 posts
I was guilty of Nyx too!!! I just thought that would be easier to say than N-Y-X. Haha 

On a similar note, my husband told me one day that there was an M-A-C shop near our place. It was kinda funny.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I've heard Natio said 2 ways too.
Macs
5351 posts
I think I’ve been saying Givency wrong for many years now lol 
Artemis
311 posts
Oh yes that makes sense that Tarte is "tart" with no accent. 
I probably should watch beauty Youtubers but then many of them get them wrong too I'm sure

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!