Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Goodiebox or Sample Bar??

40 posts, 20 members
chikoboo
3402 posts
Has anyone tried either of these services, I keep toying with the idea but don't know if I would be disappointed with it.  But they do look so exciting and who doesn't love getting a parcel in the post =D  Love to hear from people who have used it, remain using and what products they have had in them.  Do share
xjayloux
900 posts
Ive been a member of sample bar since the start. I really do love it. Its $25 so you dont spend any more then that, goodiebox is $25 plus shipping works out to be like $29 or $30.

I have really enjoyed the surprise element of sample bar, being able to try new products and find new faves. I have found a few trust me. And what i love is you earn points for their store for almost every activity you make on the site.. Then once you have a bit of a stash saved up, you simply spend $30 or so dollars in the store and get to redeem your free credit as a bonus.

I have had a few things ive sold on as im not so keen, or given away. But most of hte products i have actually used and enjoyed. I have found my fave hair product and mascara through sample bar.. Ive even received a couple of freebie thank you packages for being a long time member. They are really good and look after their customers.

Some people whinge because what they 'perceived' they were getting by signing up didnt impress them, but that isnt sample bars fault it is their own.

I would give sample bar a go.

I would like to try goodiebox but the price has stopped me from doing so. You might think oh, its only 5 dollars difference, but you have to compete with the competition and by charging additional they dont!
xjayloux
900 posts
Another thing i wanna point out.. apart from very recently (this is another factor for me not going with goodiebox) their products were less luxurious, i.e common brands that most will already know about. Most of them still are, but i think at the moment they are trying to chuck in some that will get people to join.. I would hate to join and find later on it went back to basic old products i can buy from the super market!

I like sample bar because they really do have a point of difference by finding popular or cult products overseas (and from within NZ too) and introducing them to their members.
belindaledwards
111 posts
I joined samplebar in November, and nearly always love their boxes, they generally are filled with luxurious products, and give me new ideas. Average value I've found have been $50 - $60, sometimes closer to $100. And I find I end up using most of the products. And I like the fact that its so gorgeously packed, and its like getting a present once a month (even though I pay $25 lol) as its always a surprise! I've bought from their store, and like the fact that its free shipping on everything.

I've purchased 3 goodiebox subscriptions off and on, and find that the brands are slightly more common. I did love their birthday box, with the MOR products. Their last box was a wee bit disappointing for me, as I found I didn't really use anything. The gloss was sticky, and the eye shadows weren't very pigmented. But its bit of a luck of the draw really! There is $4.50 shipping on anything you buy in the store too.

Currently I'm only subscribed to samplebar, as I find them to be better of the two, looking forward to my parcel in the next few days! :-)

xjayloux
900 posts
That's the only goodiebox I was jealous of haha =(
skingeek
537 posts
I'm with sample bar, too. Toyed with goodie box but the price put me off. I really love getting a parcel each month and I don't even notice the payments going out. The products have been great, used all of them, many of which I'd not have bought myself. Why not give yourself a little treat each month? If you can't jusify the $25, just skip a coffee each week- it's well worth it.
RachelM
345 posts
I signed up for Samplebox a little while ago but didn't complete it all, have been wondering lately if I should just do it, thanks ladies I'm going to give it a try
chikoboo
3402 posts
Thanks ladies that has helped me make up my mind, I too have signed up to both but not brought a subscription, off now to Sample Bar to give it a go =D
xjayloux
900 posts
Looking forward to hearing what you think when your first box arrives =) very interesting to see other ladies think simliar to me too! Looks like i will just be sticking with my samplebar subscription! xo
RachelM
345 posts
Sample Bar Done!!!!!!!!!! The only thing tho is they haven't told me when I should expect first box?
Cat
474 posts
I was with samplebar for 3 months and it just seemed to get worst in my opinion. The last one actually annoyed me. Some people got a good one with a shiesido product and a orly nail polish. Where some got some nasty (in my opinion!) face 'jewels' or fake lashes. 

I have just signed up for goodiebox, I don't have huge expectations but am excited to hear there's a Stila product involved. 

Overall I think it would be hard for these services to keep everyone happy. I enjoy the anticipation  of them and being exposed to new products. 
Crisper
66 posts
Ok, I'm going to try sample bar as well and tell you something afterwards!learning a lot with you, ladies:)
chikoboo
3402 posts
RachelM

I think the first box will be the October one now as my email from Samplebox mentioned that the cut off for September was the 10th of the month (assume August 10th)

Thanks for all the replies - I too have often wondered if these services were worth the money.  Nice to hear from actual users what they think!
JamieLynneKirk
157 posts
i signed up to sample bar 3 months ago and the boxes are ok but i find im not actually using anything they send me as its not a colour i would use and i signed up to goodiebox aswell the next one will be my first i can't wait :)
xjayloux
900 posts
When you sign up make sure you fill out your beauty profile on there and also if your tastes change/hair etc change update your beauty profile on there so they can actually send you stuff that you want in colourings of your choice or for concerns you have.. They actually updated them to ask more questions recently, so it pays to check back! I have always got spot on colourings because of my beauty profile and as a general rule the boxes will be customized to suit what your profile says! Hence why everyone gets different things!

I loved the last box, i needed everything bar the false eyelashes.. My only gripe was they were the wrong colour for me

Ive had a two boxes out of almost 12 that made me think BOOO, but they always improved.. I was annoyed when i got natural glow (cannot stand) lip gloss over mor haha!

And to comments above, payment goes out on the 1st every month and you need to be in by the 10th to receive that months box =) xo
Kaiarahi
160 posts
Thanks chatondemode! I’m going to give samplebar a go.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Actually signed up for a goodiebox too (nawty!!! lol) after seeing all the stila products on their facebook feed =D
JamieLynneKirk
157 posts
Just got this months samplebar and im super happy with it, I think i may just stay signed up to both of them for abit :)
RachelM
345 posts
Jamielynnkirk please spill the beans, whats in the Samplebar box hehe

Ohhhh Chikoboo I hope we can still get the September box, ahhh the wait lol Its like waiting for the BR review item to arrive
JamieLynneKirk
157 posts
I don't want to ruin it incase someone hasnt got it yet but i put it all up on my instagram if ya wana have a sneaky look :)
BexxC
55 posts
Sample Bar is GREAT! I'm on my 4th box now and have always been really happy with the goodies I've received.

Sure, theres usually one thing that isn't really me or isn't the right colour but I've always been able to pass it on to a friend or my Mum so they get something too :o) 

Very happy with this months box as I've been wanting to mix up my skincare routine but didnt really know where to start! 
JamieLynneKirk
157 posts
my samplebar glam pack this month: 
*Obiqo gentle face wash 100ml (full size) worth $29.50
*Nimue rejuvenating mask 12ml
*Angel professional Shampoo & Conditioner both 100ml each 
*I love shimmer and shine lip gloss 12ml (full sized) 
*LeTan tanning gel 35ml 
*Nat.face moisture cream 5ml (bonus item)

My mother got a different glam pack hers included:
*Nat.face replenish cleansing lotion (not sure about size)
*Nat.face replenish treatment toner 
*Nat.face replenish moisture cream 
*Nat.face Organic rosehip oil 15ml
*Nat.face Agebloc eye gel 15ml 

Pretty good :)
1139 posts
I signed up to Goodiebox two months ago and I have liked the boxes so far. The second one wasn't as good as the first but people need to realise that they can't please everyone every month, haha! I really don't like buying products without trying them first so this is a great way to try new things :)
mishaow
8 posts
I love Sample Bar ! They're a great price for what you get. What I love most about Sample Bar is that they send you products that you wouldn't normally think to try or buy. For example,  quite a few weeks ago they sent a lovely moreish tower, made up of containers that screwed on top of one another, filled with one of moreish's products - balm on the bottom level, eye cream, night cream and day cream. I would never have usually gone out of my way to try cream products (as i usually stick to what i know) but after the moreish sample I don't think I can go back to the creams I was previously using! The boxes also tend to end up being worth a lot more than the $25 you pay for them, and they usually come with great discount vouchers for full priced products of the brands they've sent you samples of - another great incentive. (:
bex_mcd
46 posts
I am with Sample bar and love it!
Xtinastar
165 posts
im with both! I stupidly subscribed to both (thinking i would find one better than the other), secretly knowing very well i would find it hard to unsubscribe from one! I definitely love sample bar a little bit more tho, as its great every month, and alot of the brands im unfamiliar with. Goodie box is good to, but the quality varies, some months its waaayyy better than the other. I do not like however, that both sample bar and goodiebox can not tailor to certain age groups...like with sample bar the other month i received some face gem stickers when im 26, and would have been more suited to the Sheseido Lipgloss that others received in their box, but not complaining as its def worth more than the $25 that you pay :). I looooovvveeed the face mask sample that i received in this months sample bar box, has anyone else tried it??? OMG its amazing, im tempted to get the full size!
Crisper
66 posts
Lol!I've just subscribed for both of them with the same thought....that I'll unsubscribe from the one I like less later on..let't see if I can:)
Xtinastar
165 posts
haha its soooo hard, as one month sample bar will be amazing and then the next month goodiebox is amazing. i love it tho, just told myself i need to cut out buying so many coffees to compensate :)
Kylenefs
68 posts
great to read all the comments as have been wondering about whether it was worth it. I think I might give samplebar a go thanks everyone :)
misserinlouise
29 posts
Thanks for the info ladies! :-) I have been thinking about these as well - and while I will definitely sign up to SampleBar - I MIGHT just try Goodiebox as well. heehee. Its all so tempting. 
xjayloux
900 posts
I wish i could describe how in love i am with this months sample bar..

The obiqo facewash is AMAZING.. I used it last night and it smells devine and my skin felt like silk after using it..

I acutally am so happy with everything i got in my box.. The little moisturizer bonus sample is also VERY very very good too.

I think i have a few new faves this month. Im going to give the facewash as a gift to my mum too because im that impressed with it.

Im also tempted to do goodiebox but as someone mentioned above i think id have a problem cancelling it for fear of missing out haha.
xjayloux
900 posts
Goodiebox users.. Whats the cut off date each month to get the months box? Was thinking i might try it and do a blog review comparing both boxes.
1139 posts
A review comparing both boxes would be awesome - I'd love to read it! Goodiebox subscriptions cut off at the 15th of each month. 
xjayloux
900 posts
Looks like it will be a post to do next month now unless i can tee something up with goodiebox. Will have a look into it and give my blog some TLC
1139 posts
That would be really great! I bet if you start being subscribed to both it will be hard to cancel! There's always that thought that the month you cancel will be the best month yet.
I have been considering which one to go with also, good to see lots of opinions, this is what i love about this page!!!!
bajvanrijn
15 posts
how do u join up to sample bar? i cant seem to find a website
Imoshen
461 posts
Unfortunately you won't.  Samplebar recently ceased doing business and you're only NZ option is Goodie Box.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!