Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Cleaning Makeup Brushes

18 posts, 12 members
Hi everyone, what products do you use to clean your Make Up Brushes? I use Bon Bon Factory (Bossy Cosmetics) Make up Cleaning Pad and Shampoo. I don't have any issues with the product but interested in what everyone else uses  :-) 
trudijoy
8375 posts
I use the bossy pad and baby conditioning shampoo, works great. Mum got me the thin Lizzy spinning cleaner thing for my birthday tho so I’ll try that and report back ;) 
Susilia
484 posts
I’m not gonna lie, I use whatever is at hand. Shampoo? Sure. Dishwashing liquid. Yeah, why not, removes oily residues easily. Face cleanser if they’re foaming ones, I really won’t buy brush cleanser separately.
I rinse everything out with a lot of water anyway, so to me it doesn’t matter what I remove foundation and powder with.
My brushes don’t seem to care either, they don’t shed or dry out, they just look clean.

Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I use the Bossy makeup pad also, but I like to use my face cleanser as the soap :)
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I've tried a couple of different ones from cheap to expensive but usually just go back to using the likes of baby shampoo or conditioner.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I used to use the Bossy/Bon Bon Cosmetics brush cleaning pad and brush cleanser and they did a great job. But then I ran out of the Bon Bon brush cleanser.  So I'm currently rotating between the RT brush cleaner and Dr. Bronner's liquid soap. I also have an exact dupe for the Sigma Spa Express Cleaning Glove that my friend bought for me as a gift last year for cheap off Aliexpress and that works even better. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I should mention that for my foundation and concealer brushes, I use dishsoap and vinegar since when they're sitting there for a week caked in dried foundation and concealer my brush cleanser is going to have to many washes to get the old makeup out of the bristles and but dishsoap and vinegar diluted only takes a few. And for my Beauty Blender I use the BB solid or the liquid Blender Cleanser since that's way more efficent at getting foundation out especially long wear foundation. I would like to try the BB Insta Clean and see if that helps me get it stain free faster.
tannygirl
3392 posts
And for cleaning my Wayne Goss brushes because they're actually not meant to be washed more than once a month. I use my manicare makeup remover towel. I also use it to spot clean my makeup brushes that I just use with my powder products, minus the eye brow brushes because those get oily from my brows and so I use a clean one every time. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I use the Bossy cleaning pad and shampoo which I’m just about to run out of. I’ve used the Mac brush shampoo before (pricey for what it is) and gel face cleansers that my skin doesn’t like. I’ll probably go with baby shampoo next or try one from Mecca (hello, loop points! Lol). I don’t use many brushes and I’m really slack at cleaning them so I use the Mecca Max cleaning spray in between. The only brush I’m currently using is a powder brush for my Hourglass Ambient powder as I’ve cut back all my makeup in this heat. 
Ooooooh baby shampoo.  I never thought of that.  I might give that a try when my Makeup Shampoo runs out.  Thanks lovelies  :-)
kirstyj
1732 posts
This might be controversial but I lie to use hand soap with antibacterial in it. I figure that the main reason I’m washing them is because of the build up or bacteria from products and being on my face so it seems like a good option. You can also get nourishing ones to make sure that they don’t dry out the fibres too much
tannygirl
3392 posts
    If you do have a lot of brushes like me. When I wash all the brushes I used every couple of weeks it's like almost 30 brushes, I would recommend getting a cheap brush tree off Aliexpress. My brushes used to line my dresser for a couple days and now they take up much less space.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Tried the brush spinner thing with a foundation buffing brush. Okay results. I think it’ll wind up best suited to powder brushes, so will keep playing!

pic on the wall
RamblingRose
1280 posts
For my personal brushes, I use a silicone brush cleaning pad (no name brand) and baby shampoo.  For brushes with stubborn makeup like foundation, concealer and lipstick, I use a few spritzes of micellar water on the brush and pad first (it loosens all the makeup easily) and then clean with baby shampoo.  I use an antibacterial brush cleaner to clean my professional brushes. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I recently acquired more makeup removing towels and I found that if I gave a my makeup brushes a second wipe with a clean wet microfiber towel then my white brushes went from yellowy and pink or brown tinted to back to more a cream color. 
Missyshilo
12 posts
I usually just use makeup remover and water. I must be doing it wrong 
VickieM
18 posts
I also use the Bossy pad/shampoo duo, but once the cleanser runs out I'll give the baby shampoo a go.  Thanks for the tip ladies, I would never have thought of that.

Although I read somewhere about using shampoo to clean foundation out of my beauty blender, which I've been doing, I use the Essano shampoo so figured with it's no-added-this, and no-added-that it would be fine.  Works for me!!
tabucutie
1811 posts
I was using baby shampoo but have misplaced it so have been using my Essano cleanser. Does the job just fine with one of those brush cleaner things with the squiggly lines.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!