Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Best Spf-Lip Balm That Layers Well Under Lippies and Hydrates?

16 posts, 8 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
  Okay, this is going to sound weird to the lip balm addicts/collectors. I'm religious about moisturizing my face and applying spf. But in the last few months I haven't been faithful to apply lip balm, mainly because in the mornings after I applied my skincare I skip applying lip balm because I'm going to eat breakfast and then I forget after breakfast. Anyways my lips have gotten really sunburned, flakey and red from forgetting to apply spf to them plus when I had hayfever my top lip got friction burn from when I would blow my nose.

I have a good lip scrub and I scrub my lips everyother night but I seem to be still stuck with some dry patches on my top lip that seem to be stubbornly there. Every time I apply my previous fave Hurraw Sun Protect Balm it seems to cling to the dry skin, leaves a bit of white cast to it and then it pills on my lips and doesn't look good to apply lipstick over. The other day I opted to gloss over it instead of going for lipstick like usual. My liquid lipsticks are out of the question until I can get my lips back in better condition. 

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a really good SPF lipbalm that will provide my lips with the hydration and healing they need. Especially something that layers really well under lipsticks especially the more drying, budge-proof liquid ones and won't affect the longevity of them. I would prefer something more natural but I will consider all suggestions. Thank you.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Lip balm isn't designed to go under lipstick - while your lips heal I'd go for a tinted lipbalm and lay off the lipstick. Or just layer on the lip balm when you're not wearing lipstick - I always put on a heavy duty lipbalm in the morning when i'm getting ready, after dinner and before bed (among other times). The one I absolutely adore atm is the Frank one. Blistex lip conditioner is probably going to be your best bet - that healed my cracked, wind and cold dried lips in 24 hours flat in minus zero temps last year.

If you really want to put something on your lips pre lipstick, maybe the blistex will work - lip oil will sit okay under lipstick and sometimes I pop my Sephora lip oil on under a really drying matte one. Works fine, but it's not SPF.

I'd really recommend you try the Blistex - it's the one in a little white pottle and it's super healing, spf, and probably will help your lips, plus if you apply it thinly enough you MIGHT get away with lippy over the top (although if you have something on between your lips and your lippy then expect to need to reapply).

The other thing - if your nose and upper lip are raw, the best thing out is Bepanthen cream - yes, the baby nappy rash cream. Used to swear by it (now i just buy the Kleenex tissues with aloe vera and that stops it before it starts)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I haven't used Blistex for years as I weirdly never seem to get dry lips (although I do apply lip balm frequently) but it was the first product that sprung to my mind too. Easy to get hold of in a hurry too. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I bought the Frank Body Lip Scrub, Trudi and it was really good. I liked it better than the Lush one. I haven't tried out their lip balm yet. I'm looking at the Blistex site. Did you mean this one?
trudijoy
8375 posts
This one
Macs
5351 posts
Blister Medicated relief is the only one that’s ever healed my lips. I agree with Trudi lay off the liptick until they’ve healed.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Thanks Trudi. I'll look for it on my next trip to the supermarket.
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
I really like the Mecca lip balm with SPF for under pink or nude lipsticks. It has a tint so is nice on its own too. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I'd also lay off the lip scrubs whilst a your lips are healing. Otherwise it's kinda like using a body scrub on sunburnt skin. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I'd definitely give the lip scrub a break for awhile while your lips are healing but the lipbalms that I have been loving are the Out of Africa for hydration. Although not sure if they have SPF in them. Will have to check. A friend of mine makes her own so I've been using those and they are amazing, will have to ask if she adds SPF to those, might something she would consider for the future. 

You could also try Rosehip oil to help heal your lips too. Hope they get better soon and you find a good SPF lipbalm that will do what you want it to.
alikat
423 posts
that lip balm that Trudi recommended is the BOMB. They also do a medicated one in a tube, which my husband swears by for when his lips crack so bad, they're bleeding. 

And for a man to swear by something, take note!
tannygirl
3392 posts
Is that this one Chelsea?
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yes, that's the Mecca one. I really like it too although I've only worn it on its own. I've got a limited edition tinted one which was last year's beauty loop birthday gift.  
siouxsannah
261 posts
I get very dry, sore lips, especially in winter. Mine have been so dry in the past that they have cracked, peeled, and bled. The only thing that worked to heal them was applying Blistex medicated lip ointment on my lips at night. I think you can get it at most pharmacies. 
http://www.blistex.com/products/medicated-lip-ointment/

I also find that using a lip primer under lipstick, especially the drying matte ones, helps prevent my lips from drying out too much. NYX make a good lip primer and it is not too expensive. 

chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Yes, that is the Mecca one that I use. I haven't used it to heal lips, but it does layer well under lipstick. Maybe you could try the Blistex one while they are damaged and then the Mecca one to maintain. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
My lips have healed so I'm able to wear my matte liquid lippies now. I'm going to try the Blistex lip balm to see how well it layers under lippies so I don't end up with sunburned, crusty lips again. But if that doesn't layer well under lipstick I'll look at the Mecca one. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!