Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Gel vs Liquid?

23 posts, 21 members
mishaow
8 posts
What's your preference of eye liner? Gel liner or liquid eyeliner? And what are your reasons?
Also, any gushing reccomendations for their favourite brand of gel/liquid eyeliner? (:
louisew
5 posts
For me I prefer gel eyeliner (the MAC one is ah-mazing!) because it doesn't look as 'wet' and 'painted' on that I always found I got with liquid eyeliners.

Having said that though, it is definitely worth playing around with different ones as I have friends who used exactly the same liquid eyeliner as I did and while it looked ridiculous on me it worked really well for them.
1139 posts
I agree with the comment on certain eyeliner looking good on some people and bad on others... It definitely depends on the shape of your eyes and your skill at applying eyeliner. I'm still practicing but I'm using an ELF liquid eyeliner at the moment which I quite like.
lenarose
313 posts
I use a Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner most days, it looks great.
mishaow
8 posts
hmm interesting thoughts ladies - I'm trying to decide which one i should invest it :P A little worried on the lasting power of a gel liner.
Siena
50 posts
I love both for different reasons. I wear the gel eyeliner for night, it stays on all night and dries matte, it's not going anywhere!! I use various liquid eyeliners for the day (work) I don't want a really defined look for work :) I use the maybelline gel liner and for liquid liner I use a variety of Loreal / Eye of Horus / NYX / BH Cosmetics, they're all really good!!  Good Luck!! 
tanitaandtia
144 posts
I find a gel eyeliner way easier to apply than a liquid but the ones I'm using at the moment are maybeline-gel and e.l.f liquid they both seem to last pretty well :)
xjayloux
900 posts
Gel eyeliner hands down but the key to it is a decent brush to apply it with..

I highly recommend smashbox or calvin klein gel eyeliners, and i use a benefit brush.
beckyj7
40 posts
I'm using elf liquid eyeliner for a flick on my top lid and a maybelline eyestudio gel liner on my waterline (do not get this if you plan on using it for your waterline as it doesn't last). I think there is nothing wrong with using both gel and liquid depending on where you are putting it
analesha13
129 posts
I like liquid for the lasting power it has but gel is easier to apply - personally!
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Personally I find gel eyeliner easier to work with and I like the finish it gives.

I really like Maybelline's gel eyeliner, it stays all day and is easy to use :)
mdbiaggio
4 posts
Mac's gel eyeliner is amazing. you can get great liquid eyeliner looks without the mess!
I like how gel eyeliner is easy to apply but i also like how liquid eyeliner can give the clean line look.  It all depends on what kind of look you are going for.
eejayybee
81 posts
Ohhh man! I've never really bothered with liquid or gel eyeliners and I have no idea why - maybe I subconsciously associated the words liquid and gel with smudging and running?
I feel so deprived....... On the wishlist it goes :)
LisaE5
447 posts
I use ELF essentials liquid eyeliner and it is honestly like one of the best I have used and it is only US $1 :D
bex_mcd
46 posts
I love liquid eyeliner, I use MAC, its great. Although I recently ran out of my old one and started a new one, realised how much easier it was to apply when it wasn't almost on empty, lol
NatsR
61 posts
Honestly the best eyeliner I have ever used is Stila's eyeliner pen - it is so easy to use and so pigmented and dries nice and quickly once its on your eyelid! Pretty pricey, but so worth it in my opinion! I love gel liners too - the Maybelline one is awesome for a lower costing liner and I also really like the clinique gel liner x
ieseon
67 posts
I love both! I have been using MAC fluid gel liner in black track for  a long time now, however I find it time consuming in applying because I need another brush and sometimes it gets pretty thick and smudgy.  I find gel quite hard to come off and it flakes off in time and it can get to your eyes and irritate it because the debri scratches. 
Recently, I have been trying Maybelling hyper glossy liquid eyeliner and I love it! I must admit I am new to liquid so it takes a bit of practice but this eyeliner makes it very glossy and shiny looking eyeliner, stays all day and it is convenient and most of all it doesn't form any debri or cause eye irritation if you are careful.
Have you tried a felt eyeliner? This dries very very quick, quicker than the liquid and it stays all day and removes very easily.
Ok with some things I am a dedicated buyer. With my eyeliner I only use one. The Maybelline Master Precise liquid liner. Its my absolute favourite and its one of the items I always have and I really really hope they dont stop making and selling it I would be gutted!

I have used other eyeliners before and have had some troubles like the brush is to sharp for my liking or they take to long to dry and i wreak it by blinking, causing black lines by my crease :/ or it doesnt last very long.

The maybelline master precise liquid liner works for me. Its a handy 'pen' size with a nice soft (but not too soft) brush that just sweeps on nice and evenly. It lasts aaagggeess on your eyes as well as in the pen itself and is also cheap as chips to buy retailing around $20. You can even get it at the supermarket!

Everyone is different though so it would pay to try out a few till you find one that works for you and the way you apply it :)
rockchick_123
15 posts
I use a gel eyeliner by maybelline everyday and I love it, first because of the price and how long it lasts but also I find it so much eaisier to apply than liquid and you can get the same effect! I bought a liquid eyeliner the other day from Almay and hated it haha
gaijinchick
147 posts
I am terrible with liquid liners but I love MAC's gel liner. Stuff stays put and I find I have better control using a brush. Plus, it feels like I'm painting my face, which is pretty cool. ;) after putting the gel liner on, I usually put some black powder over it to keep it in place, though it stays put by itself just fine.  The thing I hate about using liners in General is when they make a line across the hood. :( 
tarawr158
119 posts
I definitely prefer gel eyeliner. I find that they are easier to apply and stay on for longer compared to liquid eyeliner. I find that you are easily able to create the exact look you want with them and they are less likely to smudge. 
tarawr158
119 posts
I definitely prefer gel eyeliner. I find that they are easier to apply and stay on for longer compared to liquid eyeliner. I find that you are easily able to create the exact look you want with them and they are less likely to smudge. The only one that I have used is the Maybelline eyestudio one- I love it and it is definitely my go to eyeliner. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!