Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Coconut oil is a must have!!

93 posts, 50 members
Lutece
1849 posts
Not only is coconut oil good to cook with but its also amazing to put in your hair and use on your face! Virgin unrefined coconut oil is great for lots of things, under eye wrinkles, makeup remover, dry hair ends, i also use it instead of moisturizer and my skins never looked better!

A little goes a long way and its good for you

Who else likes to use coconut oil and what do you use it for?

Ive heard its a great appetite suppresser if you add a teaspoon to your tea but havent been daring to try it yet lol

Ladies what are your thoughts?
tannygirl
3392 posts
I never heard of adding it to tea as an appetite suppressant. But yep, I have a bottle that I use for my hair weekly and I have a receipe for it as one of the ingredients in a face mask but I haven't got any of the other ingredients so I haven't tried that receipe yet. I would cook with it if I could afford it but coconut oil is one of the more pricey oils.
Lutece
1849 posts
Oooh a face mask sounds great! There are so many things you can do with coconut oil, i dont personally cook with it i just use it on my face & body :)
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I love coconut oil, I have a big 1kg tub of it.  I use it on my face especially at night in replacement of my moisturiser.  I've noticed a difference already.  In regards to the tablespoon as an appetite suppresant, I tried this and nearly gagged, it was like eating a spoon full of lard.  Yuck.  Buy hey thats my opinion, someone else might like it :-)
Bayley
238 posts
I love using coconut oil as a make up remover. Everything just glides off and your eyelashes get a good conditioning at the same time. Love it!
Mrs_rain85
437 posts
oh im so gonna have to try coconut oil....wheres the best plcae to purchase it???
sunelizabeth
410 posts
Yip love coconut oil too. I use it for cooking, add a teaspoon to smoothies sometimes, use on my face, in the bath in winter, etc etc. I have never used it in my hair, but would love to try! How much should I use???

You should be able to pick it up at the supermarket, Ceres & Chantal organics are good ones :)
Mila
1209 posts
I love coconut oil !.  I use it alot for cooking i dont use olive oil or anything any more, plus i make alot of protein balls/bars etc so i use coconut oil for that great for baking much healthier option.

I also used it as a homeade sea spray - part sea salt/part gel/mousse whatever takes your fancy and part coconut oil - gave me awesome beachy waves and the coconut oil made sure my hair didnt dry out from the sea salt...

must try it as a makeup remover and face never thought of that before.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Love coconut oil, does wonders for dry, frizzy hair.  On dry hair I pop a load in, leave for 10 minutes then rinse out.  If I'm in a super indulgent mood and my hair needs some TLC I'll wrap my hair in clingfilm after applying the coconut oil and sit in the sun, or give a quick blast of the hair dryer (covering the clingfilm with a towel though nothing like burning it to your hair which I have done in the past...nasty!!)

I get my virgin oil from simplifoods :)
bronjenks
253 posts
Sounds awesome,  definitely going to grab some in the next shop. Does it come in a can or a  bottle?? :-)
sunelizabeth
410 posts
It comes in a jar because it is firm (unless it's a really hot day).
Lutece
1849 posts
Wow i will try it in smoothies! I have the "blue coconut" oil which is at the supermarket in the cooking oil section, its in a half circle tub, health shops also sell them, i cant believe how much better my face is after using this & my first thought was i would have a breakout from the oil but not at all! I love this stuff!!!
Mila
1209 posts
ive got the ceres coconut oil in a jar - just from good old Countdown but most supermarkets would have it in the health food isle. 

How do you use it as a makeup remover ? probably sounds like a silly question ! :)
Diamond
26 posts
Wow, ive never tried coconut oil in cooking, or as a beauty product, but after reading everyones comments ill definitely be making sure that I get my hands on a bottle asap! Thanks for the info!
Lutece
1849 posts
Mila you dip on of your cotton pads in a vola :) A small amount goes a long way
Lutece
1849 posts
 http://jennamarblesblog.com/this/

LADIES WHO ARE INTERESTED IN COCONUT BENEFITS READ THIS LINK ABOVE^^
Jenna Marbles talks about ways to use it, she does use a bit of foul language i thought id warn you ladies but if you get past that she gives a good insite about it all

You will be amazed at how versitile it is

Yeah Danielle its an awesome product to have :)
gaijinchick
147 posts
Coconut oil is the best!! Besides cooking, I use it for moisturizing both myself and my 1 year old. When my ends were super dry from bleaching, I added a bit to the ends and wrapped it up overnight. Super soft the next morning!
honey76
16 posts
Coconut oil seems to be having its moment in the sun. I myself have found it is one of the only and I do mean only things to sort out my dry hair and dandruff/flaky scalp. Dandruff is s a fungal growth, yuk. And coconut oil has anti fungal properties. I have tried everything and I am glad to say I wont waste any more money on crap that doesnt work! I soak my whole head scalp and hair from root to tip wrap it in a towel (one I keep for this purpose it tends to smell a bit odd when washed. Not sure why?) Leave for 30 mins or blitz your hair with a hair dryer to really help it penetrate the hair follicle. Or I even sleep with it overnight sometimes. The trick is to shampoo it out TWICE. Well. Then condition and you're good to go.
As for using it to cook with. My ex is a crossfit trainer and uses coconut oil in everything. Anything you would usually use fat in (butter,oil etc) you can substitute with coconut oil and then some.. I roast veges in it. Whatever. It is the good fats that your body needs. And the calories your body uses to digest is more than the calories you are left with..a calorie deficit. Hence why fitness buffs use it. Can actually help you lose weight. The most beneficial coconut oil try to buy unrefined or extra virgin organic stuff. Any decent health food store will have it. Get online and read up about it. Its a pretty amazing product
Lutece
1849 posts
Im going to try the overnight trick & my hubby gets dandruff and nothing works so ill get him to try that too! Im interested to see what coconut oil tastes like, i love coconut water lol
Lutece
1849 posts
Im going to try the overnight trick & my hubby gets dandruff and nothing works so ill get him to try that too! Im interested to see what coconut oil tastes like, i love coconut water lol
Mila
1209 posts
Thanks ! cant wait to try it as a makeup remover... might even give the ends of my hair a wrap up they've seen some better days .....

haha just read the Jenna Marbles link - whilst she is a little bit crazy lol .... some awesome things i never knew about this gem !!
lisamunro
6 posts
I read that coconut oil was good as a hot oil treatment, but whenever I tried to heat it up, it would cool down pretty quickly. Does anyone know the best way to use it as an oil treatment?
Coconut oil is brilliant as a facial moisteriser!it is the best I have ever used. If your skin is dry - dry patches disappear, if you have spots - they also go! Perfect!
Totally agree! Coconut oil and coconut cream mask for hair and face! So rich and moisturising and all natural love it!
zeishamj
11 posts
I have herd a lot about this from friends but been really unsure if it would work for me, on here there is so many of you with good feedback it makes me have more confidence in trying it!! I might just finally give it a go. Thank you ladies :) ... I like the fact that it can be used for so many different things.
eejayybee
81 posts
I got coconut oil for the first time to help with KP (as recommended by someone on BR!) and now I use it for a couple of things but one of the best uses I've found - shaving my legs....omgoshhhh. It's so amazing. How did I ever live without it?! ;) x
chikoboo
3402 posts
eejayybee Try added your coconut oil to some brown sugar when you next shave with it. omgosh mine felt like butter for a solid 3 days :)
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Update since using coconut oil for awhile.  Wow, my skin has cleared up alot.  Although I still have pimples on my chin (I have a hormonal inbalance) I've noticed my skin starting to get a glow to it.  I even had a friend compliment me on how clear my skin looked.  I have now completely done away with moisturiser and use coconut oil morning and night.  I use it to cook with, take my makeup with, its been great for conditioning my eyelashes too and used it in my hair.  This stuff is a miracle in a jar.  I use "Blue Coconut" too and buy it online in 1kg tubs. Super cheap and you get so much. Cannot recommend using coconut oil enough ;-)
Mila
1209 posts
I second that !! …. I too have problem area with chin but that has always been like that … my skin to is getting a lovely glow about it….
I have been doing the same thing I get out of the shower and use coconut oil as a total body moisturiser and face head to toe aswell as makeup remover.  Can’t believe I didn’t find out about this sooner – I was a bit hesitant as my skin is quite sensitive but it’s been magic and my eyelashes are loving it to !.....   been dabbing extra bits on my heels and elbows and its like new skin everywhere !!

reneeholtom
1 posts
Absolutely love coconut oil! :) I'm of kiwi european descent but have been involved in multicultural dancing since i was very young. When i was in Rarotonga for competitions I always knew that I'd be the whitest on the stage haha so they gave me coconut oil to tan under the sun and WOW! i turned brown overnight lol its also very good for my hair to keep it nourished. I would reccommend coconut oil to anyone. :)
Mixy
33 posts
mum of 3 where abouts online do you buy it from? I'm convinced girls I wanna give it a try, my legs are so so dry they would rival a snakes skin so I'm keen to try the brown sugar thing :)
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Hey Mixy, I buy mine from discovercoconut and it cost me $25.20 for 1kg, you can buy smaller sizes, but I thought I may as well buy a big tub :-)
bex_mcd
46 posts
I am doing the rapid fitness diet and they recommend a tea spoon of coconut oil before each meal to stop sugar cravings, it doesn't taste great so I either mix it into my meal (smoothie or cook with it), or just hold my nose and gulp it down. I use the ceres organise pressed coconut oil, $7.99 for 300ml from Countdown, in the health food aisle
bex_mcd
46 posts
I am doing the rapid fitness diet and they recommend a tea spoon of coconut oil before each meal to stop sugar cravings, it doesn't taste great so I either mix it into my meal (smoothie or cook with it), or just hold my nose and gulp it down. I use the ceres organise pressed coconut oil, $7.99 for 300ml from Countdown, in the health food aisle
bex_mcd
46 posts
VickiEB
11 posts
I've just started using coconut oil too! My friend bought me some from Fiji and it's lovely on skin. But I also bought some to make a gluten free cheesecake and now use it in cooking all the time because everyone is saying how good it is :-) I rub it on my son's lips too as he suffers from chapped lips.

I've started eating more healthily too and have been trying a teaspoon before dinner to help curb appetite and it seems to be helping. I've lost 5kgs in 5 weeks yipee (not just from eating coconut oil though). I just gulp it down with water - it doesn't taste of much.
Lutece
1849 posts
Wow 5kgs in 5 weeks is amazing! Coconut oil is such an under rated product, ive been getting compliments on how good my skin looks without any makeup on and i say its from coconut oil. I told my husband has tried using it in his hair and he hasnt had any dandruff back since and weve tried head and shoulders and one from the health shop. He is so impressed!
Hey ladies, 

It's been really cool reading about all of your uses for coconut oil, and I wanted to share my own experiences with it!

Has anyone else tried coconut oil pulling? I've been doing it once a day for the past two weeks, and my teeth are already whiter and my entire mouth feels so much cleaner. I've been researching it and there are so many health benefits.

All you do is swish a teaspoon of coconut oil around your mouth for 10-20 minutes once a day, spit it out and brush afterwards. It works because the plaque and bacteria from your mouth and teeth stick to the oil.

I've read so many stories about people who have had various dental and health problems, and coconut oil has made a huge difference for them. Its a detoxifier and helps with teeth whitening, bad breath and other health problems that are connected to dental health.

You seriously have to give this a go! I would love to hear from anyone else who is experiencing results with coconut oil pulling.

And take a look at this website I came across if you want to find out some more about it.

http://coconut-oil-pulling.com/

xx
j9jewel
2 posts
Right then... I'm sold after reading all these posts... picking my 15 year daughter will love it too...
Thanks people :o)
honey76
16 posts
Lutece thats awesome it worked for your husband too. The best thing about it (well apart from the no dandruff thing) is its chemical free! Those anti dandruff shampoos smell toxic to me! And they tend to dry your hair out aswell.
I agree that hearing what everyone is using it for is great. Giving me some new ideas to try too. Thanks all for contributing.
evitarose
22 posts
Oil pulling is really good, yes! Buuuuuut can be very harmful if you have fillings, have a look online at what it says about it. You should steer clear if you have silver fillings. Everything else though, it's definitely safe for! It's one of those extremely versatile things :)
Mixy
33 posts
Thanks mum of 3 :) I'm super dooper keen was talking to the girls at work about it and I think we've a health shop nearby that stocks it so might compare prices, I'm keen to try on the other halfs dandruff also :)
Coconut oil is the way to go ladies! My nana is always making bottle's of coconut oil for my sister & I to bring back from Tonga when we're there on vacation.
- good to use on dry skin, dab over small cuts/scratches. 
Lutece
1849 posts
Wow I will have to give coconut oil pulling a try it sounds amazing!! Thanks Courtney! I have to write all these down, im so impressed, thanks for sharing ladies there are some amazing ways you can use coconut oil!
Lutece
1849 posts
My aunty uses coconut oil mixed with vinegar to get rid of head lice and keep them away, I will need to try this when my girl starts school, has anyone else tried this?
Mrs_rain85
437 posts
i looked up coconut oil lastnight which made me dream about all night! lol so i shall be going off to hopefully buy some today!
Lutece
1849 posts
Dreaming about coconut oil? You must have done plenty of research lol i hope it was sunny summer holiday in your dream :-)
Mrs_rain85
437 posts
lol i know right! 
Nessamarie
1 posts
Wow! I had no idea this stuff was so incredibly good for you! I have a friend with fairly bad exzema and she said she doesnt break out nearly as often as she used to and her pimples are non existant. But after reading all these comments, I'm well and truely sold! Thank you for sharing!
Mrs_rain85
437 posts
Now i went to get my some today....but there was only extra virgin coconut oil for high heat cooking for $8.99....now which one do i get! i looked up coconut oil and they reakon that refined coconut oil is for the hair,skin etc etc... and the extra virgin is for cooking.... 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!