Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR - B12 deficiency

24 posts, 9 members
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Hey ladies. So I have been diagnosed with low B12 and got my first injection today. Does anyone else get these? Curious at how effective it is. Hoping it will help my fatigue quickly. Does anyone take B12 supplements?
MareeB
5241 posts
I take B12 because I don't eat red meat but I'm pretty random with it. Do you feel heaps better already?
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I got it at 4pm today Maree I'm not sure really. I think I will be able to tell tomorrow as I have been having naps as I am so exhausted so will see if I need a nap. Fingers crossed.
MareeB
5241 posts
Are you anaemic as well? It would be good if we could pop into the chemist for a quick and immediate blood test whenever we wanted so we could check those things ourselves eh? going to the Dr stresses me out ...
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Yes I am anemic. They gave me some meds also. I agree! 3 dr's visits in 2 weeks. I hate it so much.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I'm not, and from what I remember anemia is iron related? Im not anemic either but I've been advised to take Floradix for my iron levels... good lord its terrible lmao
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Just a TMI warning about iron supplements - they can make you constipated so doctors won't usually advise you to take them unless you have a confirmed iron deficiency. I do take a B supplement that I get from my osteopath. I really noticed the difference recently when I ran out and just took any old multivitamin I could find.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Lol Soozie yes they warned me about that. Im taking folic acid also so hoping the combination helps. Not dizzy today which is a good start!
Kimrose
1416 posts
Shaz, I remember that stuff from whem I was a kid.  Dad would line all 4 of us up and give us a spoonful each. I still remember that taste!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Lol my sister in law told me yesterday to get some floradix and that it tasted good!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Lmao well I personally hate the taste of Floradix, but its better as a shot than mixed into drinks. Learned that lesson the hard way!!!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Lol shaz shes probably trying to get me back as i gave her some senna tea last week and it didn't agree with her bhahaha
MareeB
5241 posts
I take Carbonyl for iron - it doesn't cause constipation or diahorrhea. It's great stuff. $12.00 from the chemist for 30.
MareeB
5241 posts
Did your parents ever give you malt Kim? it also came in a big tin. Yummmmmm....
shazatron101
5112 posts
Lmao well be warned then cos she may be lying :p im sure its effective for iron levels but yeah the taste. Its definitely got ocean kelp in it! Hahaha
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ba ha ha she is telling you porkies that stuff tastes nasty lol. I used to use the Floradix tablets instead. So much better.
First Lady
957 posts
Floradix tastes like blood.  Its so wrong, haha, I used to have to chug it when I was pregnant! They do Floradix capsules that are much easier! 

I recently had an iron infusion and the blood doctor (?) recommended taking Vit C alongside my new iron supplement to aid with absorption.  I'm trying the Thompson's organic iron at the mo - very gentle on the tummy.

Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Lol ewwww! I don't think I will get any floradix you guys have all put me off haha. That's good to know I should get some more vitamin c as I ran out ages ago. You are all so helpful!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Hope you find something that works hun. Keep us updated too as it might help someone else that is going through the same thing x
shazatron101
5112 posts
When I take mine tomorrow I'll be seeing if I get the blood taste... usually its some yuck fishy flavor lmao bllerggghhh
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I suggest that you consider adding a slim shake or such like as an afternoon snack or blend in with fruit for a morning smoothie. I find it a bit easier to take than a multi vitamin as I don't like tablets and the vitamn/mineral list on these things is huge.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Another fun iron fact for you Nat: caffeine hinders iron absorption. So if you're going to have a drink with meals, orange juice is preferable to tea or coffee. 
EliseMM
120 posts
Suzie - so fascinating to hear that coffee hinders iron absorption! Considering I will drink coffee for (temporary) energy, maybe I should actually avoid caffeine all together as I am extremely low in iron. Maybe 2018 is the year I start looking after myself more....!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I don't drink coffee anymore. But that is good to know. I think the injection and folic acid is helping as today I did not get my usual 3pm slump. So that is promising:-)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!