Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Harmony Menopause Supplement

41 posts, 11 members
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Have any of you ladies tried (or are currently using) the Martin & Pleasance Harmony Menopause supplement, and wouldn’t mind sharing your opinion on whether it worked for you or not?  I found a few mixed reviews about it, and it’s not a brand listed in the BR Directory.  

I’ve been using the NuWoman 30+ supplement for the past 5 years, and that worked fine for me in helping to deal with PMS and hormonal mood swings, but as my 40th birthday lurks on the very near horizon, I’m starting to experience other hormonal changes, and the 30+ supplement just doesn’t seem to be working as well anymore.  Unfortunately, early menopause is genetic, so the night sweats and hot flushes have already begun, along with increased irritability. 

I understand that some women feel uncomfortable talking about menopause, so if you’re not happy about sharing your opinion about the supplement on this open forum, please feel free to contact me privately via Instagram or Facebook, the links to my social media pages can be found on my BR profile. Thanks. 
Head Pixie
569 posts
Jumping on to say... would also love to hear if this works!

The bodily oddness, the night sweats and the biting my tongue all the time ...and at times letting loose... (when usually I'm mellow yellow) is driving me bananas.

I hear you, I see you and I feel you, Silvene X
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Thank you, Head Pixie, x.  I’ve blindly bought a box and will start taking it tomorrow ... I’ll post an update later on as to whether or not it works for me. Fingers crossed!

I know every body is different and what works for one may not work for someone else, but I’m just curious if any BR ladies have used it and what their thoughts are. 
Head Pixie
569 posts
I have everything crossable crossed for you because this perimenopause business is far from a box of fluffies (in my experience anyway). I can't wait to hear how it goes for you :) X
MareeB
5244 posts
My advice - take everything you can swallow and if that doesn't work? take more!!! it totally sucks! you all have my sympathy...
trudijoy
8375 posts
Oh I was just talking about this with worldofsooziewong, I can’t remember exactly what she said but she’ll have some tips here too. Pretty sure she’s home now so she can’t be far off starting her forum year!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I haven’t tried this particular supplement but I am more than comfortable talking about menopause and my own experiences in a public space. The whole process seems so shrouded in mystery because no one talks about it. Even my own (female) doctor refers to it as ‘the change’! We need to talk more about it and not be ashamed about going through a natural process. There are so many weird symptoms that are completely unexpected - especially as no one talks about it. I was being driven crazy by a sensation of insects crawling through my hair until my mother said to look it up on the internet as she had the same symptom. It’s good to check in with your own mother as your menopause experience is likely to be similar to hers. 

I did use Remifemin for awhile and it worked really well for a few months then stopped working for me. I’ve found that the hot flushes are cyclical for me. They’ll drive me mad, almost hourly, for a few weeks then stop altogether. Only to start again. They seem to be becoming less intense each time though now, thankfully.  Best things to help with these are a fan, facial mists and dressing in layers, in natural fabrics. I’ve found that overall I run a lot hotter than I used to. I used to be someone who always felt the cold, now I even have my classroom windows open in winter lol. My poor students are all sitting shivering in their puffer jackets whilst in in short sleeves saying “is it just me or is it hot in here?” lol. 

Overall though it seems to be a very long process and I will be very glad when it’s finally over!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Thanks for sharing, worldofsooziewong. 

I’d love to be able to discuss this with my Mom, but sadly all I have are very vague memories of her going through early perimenopause when I was in my teens and early 20s (my Mom would have been between 40 and 48 during those years). She passed away at age 53, I was only 28 at the time, and discussing menopause or perimenopause was not something that crossed our minds back then.  My (younger) sister and I have tried to get hold of any medical records, but that ended up being a waste of time as 11 years down the line, her GP has retired and her medical files have either been archived somewhere or destroyed. 

I do remember her commenting on the “personal summer”, her term for a hot flush.  She’d suddenly open a window in the middle of winter and grab a wooden hand-held fan to madly fan herself, while saying, “Don’t mind me, I’m just having a personal summer”.  I now have one of those little fans next to my chair, it was a party favour from a friend’s Japanese’s themed celebration. 

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Ahhh, “personal summer”, I love that one! Mine is “my internal combustion system”. My back gets incredibly hot when driving, sitting on the sofa etc. I bought the cat a pet cooling pad before Xmas and stole it off him lol. 

I’m not sure 40 would be considered early peri menopause as that whole process can take up to ten years! (No what you just wanted to hear) Looking back I certainly noticed changes in my late 30s. I also went through a few years of cystic acne which I ended up having to take roaccutane to get rid of. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I began with a strange symptom at 35, my fingers and palms would flush bright red and hot (on both hands) for absolutely no reason, just like having a hot flush but limited to my hands.  I chatted to my GP and he just shrugged it off, saying it’s nothing to worry about. This was around the same time that the crazy mood swings started. 

I also get a crawling feeling under my skin, not so much during the day, but at night, especially across my lower rib cage. Some nights it’s so bad that I wake up scratching in a semi-conscious state. Falling asleep or staying asleep has also become more difficult. 

Then the actual hot flushes and night sweats started. The horribly intense, pulsating heat that starts under my sternum and radiates outwards, spreading within seconds to the rest of my body, causing me to strip off all unnecessary layers of clothing, before suddenly disappearing as quickly as it began.

The latest symptom that started last month ... heart palpitations.  These are not fun. I know my Mom got these during perimenopause, as she always used to tell us when it happened, just in case it developed into something worse and we needed to call for medical assistance. It doesn’t last long, usually only a second or two, but it feels like my heart is skipping a beat or trying to jump out of my chest, or like I’m having a full on panic attack, and before I can even say anything to hubby, it’s gone and everything is back to normal. 

I’m just sharing these here, in case anyone else reading this thread is going through something similar and doesn’t have a family member they can talk to either.  I knew that the whole process can take around 8-10 years for some people (others less, a few unlucky ones, more), so not really any bad news there.  

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Those symptoms sound all too familiar to me! My flushes are just confined to my upper body. My feet can still be as cold as ice - it’s so weird. Also the palpitations which I had checked out a few year ago. I’m sure coffee doesn’t help those! Took me awhile to figure out that these things were all hormone related. It’s amazing how it affects your whole body. And I thought puberty was bad! Lol. 
MareeB
5244 posts
Hey sooz my feet get cold when my cholesterol is high, and I have sweats and cold feet if I eat too much sugar. Could be nothing in your case or the case of anyone else reading this, but maybe something to consider with those symptoms. And they all change with hormones. My cholesterol and sugar control went out of control because of my thyroid - ie hormones!
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I just try supplements if one works I stay with it till it doesn't then I try another.
i haven't tried the one your on as off yet but will give it a go 
i do take evening primrose oil all the time

its a hard one as it affects you physically and emotionally 
welcome to the world of the big scary omg dare we mention menopause ha ha 
its like a secret society woman sit around sweating bright red looking uncomfortable as
but will not go eeeek I'm flushing or say the M word 

i had no joy with my dr and I can't take HRT 
so  I've basically just ridden the wave with my wee surf board so to speak 
and waiting for the  tusnami 

Sophia
203 posts
Thank you for all the comments. I am nearly 43, having a few symptoms but blood tests did not diagnose menopause (early or normal.) So was given various vitamin supplements.  I haven't got an older female in my family to talk to about it so I appreciate reading about your experiences. 

I'm interested to know what method of contraception people with the symptoms are using, and how it helped (or not). My doctor suggested mirena to even out the dispensing of hormone. Im currently on the combined pill Brevinor and have a week off  (pill period) after 2 packets.
Head Pixie
569 posts
I've read that it's really hard to diagnose perimenopause through blood tests due to hormonal fluctuations. I ended up chatting to my doctor and she said the symptoms sounded very much like it. Cyclical night sweats, the odd hot flash (I once fogged up alllll my car windows, haha), randomly spaced periods, never-seen-before deep and growly acne at ovulation and pre-period, and angry-beast pixie rearing her head just before p-time was all the proof I needed. Hahahahahahaha, sigh. I'm hoping I'll be done and dusted with it by 43 like my mum was. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I’m on my second Mirena IUS, my first one was inserted in 2013 to help control very heavy periods, as the Pill just wasn’t working anymore and my GP had run out of high-dose Pill options to try, and the hormones from the Pill caused irreversible discolouration on my face, which my GP wasn’t happy about (me either).

The Mirena lasts for 5 years, and I had mine replaced in March last year, but on its own it doesn’t seem to have any effect on peri-menopausal symptoms, as I’m still experiencing everything I’ve listed above. As far as I can see in the Mirena brochure that I have, the Mirena protects the uterus from the proliferative effects of oestrogen therapy, so it is prescribed for women who are taking estrogen as their Hormone Replacement Therapy.  I’ll post a pic on the photo wall of the relevant pages, for those who want to read the section about the Mirena and HRT, but on its own, the Mirena won’t have any effect on peri-menopause symptoms (other than helping to lighten heavy periods), as the low-dose hormone in the Mirena is released directly into your uterus only, so it doesn’t enter your blood stream or have any effect on your entire body. 

Sophia
203 posts
Angry beast pixie = Pixzilla lol
Head Pixie
569 posts
Hahahahaha, oh my giddy aunt, Sophia! I love it! I'm cackling!!
tannygirl
3392 posts
    Luckily I'm not at this stage yet but things that have worked really well for my mom are raspberry leaf tea and avocados. Also with the hot flashes she finds it helpful to add an extra layer of cotton or some natural breatheable material and when she feels a heat flash coming on she just quickly takes it off. 
AboutFace
413 posts
I have had the Mirena for about 6 months due to very heavy periods and am peri menopausal. So far I'm lucky as I haven't had the hot sweats YET but it has definitely helped with my period to almost non existent. I had my tubes clamped so no need for contraception. I do get moody at times but none of us are perfect lol and so far I swear by using the Mirena it has been really good for me. Sorry I can't help with info on the sweats.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Update:  I’ve been taking the Harmony Menopause Supplement for 3.5 weeks and so far, so good! For the first week I took two tablets at night and one in the morning, and then dropped to the maintenance dose (one tablet at night, one in the morning). 

I’m happy to report that I’ve had no night sweats in the past 3 weeks, even in this stinking hot weather (I was waking up 2-3 times per night drenched in sweat, I now sleep right through).  I’ve only had one hot flush, and no more heart palpitations, no more hot hands.  My mood has definitely mellowed, I’m much less snappy, so poor hubby’s ears aren’t being ‘chewed’ as much with all the mood swings and previous impatience.  Overall, I’m really impressed with this supplement!  Btw, I got it from HealthPost, if anyone else is considering giving it a go. 
Sophia
203 posts
That's great news Silvene. I will bear it in mind for future reference.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I dont have menopause yet but I'm having wonderful pms feels and i feel like knocking my partners head from his shoulders for no reason

Will any of these products help that? I'm emailing my dr now as well as i aint payin $45 dollars for an appointment just to discuss it hahaha but i thought id jump on this thread too haha
AboutFace
413 posts
Shaz when the shops are open, you could go to a health shop and discuss your symptoms with them. If I needed something to balance my moods I'd probably go the natural way first. Harmony sounds successful :-)
shazatron101
5112 posts
Yeah i will, i usually go to the chemist and ask their opinion as well. I'll see what my dr says as well just cos the more info the better! 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
The NuWoman 30 Plus supplement helped me with PMS, prior to me needing to step up to the Harmony Menopause. 

NuWoman 30 Plus is available from Countdown stores and pharmacies.  Another option is Evening Primrose Oil, it also helps with PMS and moods swings. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Thanks silvene, maybe ill pick up both on grocery day and see if it helps!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
If you take the NuWoman 30 Plus, you won't need the Evening Primrose Oil.  I don't know if you can take them both together.  Here's a link to the info / ingredients for the NuWoman 30 Plus.

If you're breastfeeding, avoid the NuWoman (its recommended not to be used), and use Evening Primrose Oil instead. 

I hope that makes sense ... I should have clarified earlier, but my brain feels a tad scrambled after today.  Sorry. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Shaz I feeling like ripping my mans head off everyday lately too so let me know what works for you! 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Oh thanks silvene! Nah i gave that up long ago, the depression that came with it was unreal. Might try one then the other?

Hahahahaha aw lisa yep ill let you know what i get and how it goes. This morning i had what felt like 10cm of bed, both cats and him were all over me, good grief i was gunna smack something hahahaha
RamblingRose
1280 posts
If it helps to know, my GP started me off on an Evening Primrose Oil supplement. I must have been in my late 20s around then.  That worked for years and then slowly became less effective (I guess my body got used to it, or my hormones were starting to change).  I moved onto the NuWoman 30 Plus, around age 34.  I was on that for years, until the hot flushes and peri-menopausal symptoms started (I was 38), which was when I switched to Harmony Menopause. 

I'd recommend starting with Evening Primrose Oil. If that works for you, great. If not, then try the 30 Plus.  Just bear in mind that it'll take 8-12 weeks before you start feeling any different on either supplement. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Jeez.. i dunno if i have 8-12 weeks in me hahaha the rage is real. I have a phone consult with my dr today so I'll see what she says!
shazatron101
5112 posts
My dr suggested i cut out caffiene, carbs, get outside more, and to skip the sugar pill and stop having a period. She seems to think that it is the current situations fault but i know its not and she wouldnt quite listen to me saying it wasnt. 

So, ill get the supplements, maybe ditch some carbs but i dont eat a lot of them so we'll see and go from there!
trudijoy
8375 posts
anyone telling me to cut caffeine will...... well it won't end well.

I'd give it up if i got pregnant, but that's it. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hahahaha thats what i thought, i only have 1 cup of tea a day but im not giving it up!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I feel like thats the response they always give, especially when they don't have an answer. A small amount of caffeine is actually good for you! I'd say your one cup of tea a day is fine Shaz. Hmmm, maybe you need more caffeine lol. 
AboutFace
413 posts
That's a poor response. Nothing wrong with a cup of tea.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hahahahaha oh i could but id be having it now/between 6 and 9 and i feel like thats so late and id never sleep... ill give it a shot anyway cos i feel like having one now and me being a bit more spastic wont hurt anyone hahaha
shazatron101
5112 posts
Silvene when you were taking nuwoman did it make you more irritable the more you took it? Not sure if its working for me as im nearly finished one blister pack, but atm the consensus is no its not! 
shazatron101
5112 posts
welp ive taken a full pack of the nuwoman supplement and im on my second pack (also 2 cycles in which is what they recommend before it 'works') and i like to think its working!! i mean only more time will tell but i havent felt full of rage for a bit! I still get angry but its not a burning inferno like it was before, so i count that as a win! :-) thanks for the advice my friends x
RamblingRose
1280 posts
That's good news! Yay, I'm glad to hear they're working for you, too. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!